Big Test this week | The Boneyard

Big Test this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
11 Maryland on Monday and 6 Penn St (lost last nite) on Thursday. The MD game monday nite is on ESPN for the World of WCBB to see. MD has some key injuries but UConn is to loaded and I dont think it would matter anyway. These games will be different from what weve watched already. UConn will be focused and will deliver the knock out punch early with intense pressure. I expect to see continued pressure until the lead is big enough to call it off. If neither team plays defense this will be over in the first 10 minutes.

MD is a very talented team with alot of height and MD is a very good rebounding team. This will create a challange for UConn. However with UConns shooting percentages and their high low in the middle its gonna take a very skilled defense to slow the Huskies down.

I do expect UCOnn to win by 30+ and if MD dosnt hang in there it will be worse then that. I think the pollsters will have their eyes opened after this week . MD and Penn St were regarded as two of the top 10 teams preseason. They are both very good teams. UConn however still has something to prove to the pollsters. This week they will. I dont think WCBB has seen a team like this years version of the Huskies ever. This is a whole different team then any team UConn has had. It truly amazes me how Geno and CD continue to set the bar higher. Its getting to the point where if UCOnn dosnt win by 25 points fans are disappointed. I dont think UConn fans will be disappointed this week.

Reaction Score
Worst time to play Maryland if you're looking for a test. With Mincy just injured the new PG will not have had much time to get comfortable, which should make her pretty ripe for TOs against UConn's press.

And Penn St's recent struggles suggest that they're still finding their way.

I think we're looking at two more unexciting games.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I hope fans won't be disappointed if we win by "only" 10 or 15 or if, God forbid, we lose one of these games. Fans' expectations can sometimes get crazy. We have a great team, but players are human and sometimes screw up. (A disclaimer: If we end the season 39-0 and win every game by 30, I will pretend I didn't say these words. Who me? It must have been some other poster.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hope fans won't be disappointed if we win by "only" 10 or 15 or if, God forbid, we lose one of these games.

I dont qualify as a fan, but I'll be very disappointed if you dont beat Maryland by 40+.

Reaction Score
I dont qualify as a fan, but I'll be very disappointed if you dont beat Maryland by 40+.

I don't know Triad. Judging by the excellent quality and quantity of your posts here, I would say that you are indeed a fan!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't know Triad. Judging by the excellent quality and quantity of your posts here, I would say that you are indeed a fan!

Well I meant that I dont qualify as a UCONN fan (except when they play ND, Stanford, UNC, MD, Rutgers) :D

As a basketball fan heading into the season, this was one of the 5 matchups I was most interested in watching.... Now since Maryland is a shell of the team they were expected to be.... I'll still watch..... but I wont order a pizza to eat during the game. At least Penn State has a good backcourt... so perhaps the game wont be as ugly as the Maryland game. You know... if you could combine Penn State's backcourt with Maryland's front court... then that team would provide a good test for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Well I meant that I dont qualify as a UCONN fan (except when they play ND, Stanford, UNC, MD, Rutgers) :D

As a basketball fan heading into the season, this was one of the 5 matchups I was most interested in watching.... Now since Maryland is a shell of the team they were expected to be.... I'll still watch..... but I wont order a pizza to eat during the game. At least Penn State has a good backcourt... so perhaps the game wont be as ugly as the Maryland game. You know... if you could combine Penn State's backcourt with Maryland's front court... then that team would provide a good test for UCONN.

So, you will also be a Husky fan in a UCONN - Pennland (or Mary State) matchup! We will hold you to that promise!

Reaction Score
These two "big test" games will serve to further illustrate the precipitous dropoff in talent and quality that exists once we reach beyond just the top three or four programs in the country! Yes, we are all ardent UConn fans, and I, for one, want and expect us to go undefeated, but the fact is that none of us should be too pleased with this state of affairs...just not great for the women's game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know reading the posts it is very apparent to me there is parity in WCBB excluding UConn and Stanford. There are alot of upsets. Are they upsets or are we seeing teams from mid majors getting better talent and coaching? Both UConn and Stanford are at a different level. Baylor is in that catagory this season but wont be next season and I havent seen Duke yet but with their talent they could be. Uconn and Stanford have been in the top 4 pretty consistently for the past few years, Duke hasnt. So I would not put them in the same catagory as UConn and Stanford yet, until they can be more consistent in the top 4.

What I see in the top 20 are teams with talent. Some with more then others but for the most part the talent level has gotten better so there is more talent to be spread around. UConn and Stanford seem to be there every season and that dosnt look to change any time soon.

Granted UConn and Stanford seem to get the best recruiting classes. While many schools are looking for top talent both UConn and Stanford have reached the point where they can be choosey. Stanford for their admissions board and UConn because Geno has broken down his recruiting to a certain type of kid. Geno and CD are not only looking for talent they are looking for a kid who can be part of the UConn system.

No question that for the next 4 years UConn will be almost unbeatable. Geno and CD have built a program that attracts kids who want to be the best. Plain and simple theyre loaded with talent and by Genos comments that wont change for the next big class. UConn is that good because theyre goals are to win championships not just get there...and theyve consistently done that more then any other team over the past 15 seasons. They have shown they are the best of the best and they are the team that others aspire too.

In fact for those who are worried about Geno retiring I think we may have to wait for that too. Geno will be signing a 5 year deal. Now that wont get him to 1000 wins so he would have to sign another contract in 5/6 years. My feeling is he will be around for a while.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geez, I was thinking a 2-game margin of victory of 50 points would be nice. Maybe I should go to 100. :)

As Tony notes, Maryland is an outstanding rebounding team, maybe the best, and Alyssa Thomas may be the best player we see this year other than Griner. However, they have lost both starting guards, should be susceptible to pressure, and historically have played little defense. The Terps were horrible against ND in the tourney last year--at full strength. I expect to see some good play from Thomas and Hawkins, but look for nearly 30 Maryland TOs. Note--don't give Katie Rutan open looks. Our 3-point defense has been subpar in my view. She can hit 5-8 of them if open.

In the Penn State game, it's a bit of the reverse, as their strength is in the guards, Lucas and Bentley. Caroline needs to keep her buddy Lucas off balance. I look for lots and lots of points in the paint from the Huskies. Stef and Breanna should excel.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Milford I think 100 could be a good number. You have Stef and Stewie and KML on the outside. Almost unstoppable. Bria is back and Kelly is hitting. This team is silly ridiculous good. This week is as good as the schedule gets and we could see UConn plumet both teams. They will be focused and like a barracuta looking for blood. ND and Baylor will be next on the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom