Big Ten explores possible expansion amid Pac-12 instability | The Boneyard

Big Ten explores possible expansion amid Pac-12 instability

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Big Ten's exploration of potential expansion, which the league generally acknowledged Wednesday, underscores the fragility of the overall collegiate landscape and casts a pall over the future of the Pac-12. In the wake of a Yahoo Sports report Wednesday that the Big Ten has begun "exploratory discussions" about potential additions, the Big Ten said in a statement: "It's also commissioner's job to keep conference chancellors and presidents informed about new developments as they occur."

As the Pac-12 schools ponder taking the television deal commissioner George Kliavkoff presented to them Tuesday morning, one source predicted that rationale might soon fade away. "I don't think anyone is poaching now," an industry source said. "These schools are looking for a home."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep....... A key facet of the mismanagement by the pac-12 is the ability of the Big 10 to get a couple of schools on the cheap:

" A key facet of Washington and Oregon coming to the Big Ten at this juncture, according to sources, is that they would likely be able to come in at a partial share. Big Ten schools project an average annual value of more than $60 million per year in just television money through the length of the Big Ten deal. It's unknown what the league would look to bring in Washington and Oregon for.

Washington's and Oregon's conference predicament would likely have them come in below that $60 million figure, then ramp up and aim for a full share when the current television deal expires. "

So financially this makes sense for both part ies even half the Big 10 share would be an upgrade from what Oregon and we'll settle for in the pathetic pack 12 maybe it. So really this benefits everyone except of course the pac 5.

As the music stops in this game of musical chairs one wonders where Stanford ends up or do they just go independent.

Reaction Score
I don't think Oregon and Washington will come to the Big 10 anytime soon. Eventually they will join. I think the Big 10 is still waiting on Notre Dame. I'm sure they will eventually get tired of the little money they are getting from the ACC.

Reaction Score
Still trying to process the logistics on this. While I get how it benefits the football programs for these schools, my feel is that other sports are going to struggle. Will they have enough money/funding to handle the extra costs for travel? Are they going to suffer that dreaded "time zone" lag when heading out to the Eastern Time zone to play?

The next few months and years are going to be interesting. The PAC 12 seems to be dissolving and some ACC teams are trying to find any excuse to get out of their conference.

Reaction Score
I don't think Oregon and Washington will come to the Big 10 anytime soon. Eventually they will join. I think the Big 10 is still waiting on Notre Dame. I'm sure they will eventually get tired of the little money they are getting from the ACC.
Oh, my goodness. I hope the Big Ten does not add Notre Dame. I know from a business standpoint, it may happen but after all of the money the Big Ten has offered Notre Dame to join the Big Ten over the years and ND has treated the Big Ten as trash, I have never been a fan and it was all about the football program. The other programs have zero issues it is just their football program that has been holding up deals. Once ND football got their TV deal with NBC, they have been thumbing their nose at the Big Ten. For crying out loud ND's hockey team competes in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
To me it seems like west coast team want to start playing their games in eastern time zone for better views and tv ratings

Reaction Score
Looks like Oregon and Washington are done to the Big 10. Arizona and ASU are done to the Big 12. That just leaves Cal, Stanford, Utah, WSU and Oregon State. It's possible that Utah goes to the Big 12. Cal and Stanford to the Big 10. (they fit academically) I guess WSU and Oregon State will have to join the Mountain West or become independent.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Holy smokes! The SEC and Big 10 will crank out some M-O-N-E-Y in a few years.

The Big 10 has 3 national titles in Football in the past 53 years..... no Men's basketball titles since 2000........ no women's basketball titles since 1993. Just because you have major money and great resources doesn't mean you will win championships in the college sports most people care about. We will see if the huge money produces more championships in the next 10-15 years or so.

Reaction Score
If you’re not in one of the two major conferences you’re just not going to be able to compete in the major revenue sports. The financial gap will be just to much to overcome.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 has 3 national titles in Football in the past 53 years..... no Men's basketball titles since 2000........ no women's basketball titles since 1993. Just because you have major money and great resources doesn't mean you will win championships in the college sports most people care about. We will see if the huge money produces more championships in the next 10-15 years or so.

In all fairness, how many of these decisions are being based on winning championships? The BIG10 signed a lucrative TV deal without them. These teams are chasing the money based from what I'm seeing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In all fairness, how many of these decisions are being based on winning championships? The BIG10 signed a lucrative TV deal without them. These teams are chasing the money based from what I'm seeing.

None. But you have some schools that are not/will not be getting the big bucks complaining how they won't be able to compete with the big boys in the BIG and the $EC. All the money in the world ain't gonna turn most schools into national title contenders. Just greedy university presidents and administrators. I bet these same people would balk at the prospect of paying the student athletes.

Reaction Score
Like you said, none of this is about titles. It is all about the $$$.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I mean, I'm glad UW was able to find a nice landing spot and get off the sinking ship, but it's gonna be hard to be excited about playing most of their games most of the way across the country.

Now we are REALLY gonna have a fight over who the REAL UW is...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Last ditch effort to keep the PAC 12 alive.

Why were they even bothering? It's been too late for a while now. Absolute failure on multiple levels by multiple persons/entities.

This of course all started w/ the LA schools (or the failure of the Pac 12 Network, if you prefer), but who woulda thought Colorado was the lynchpin that caused the whole thing to collapse?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom