Big Ten adding games | The Boneyard

Big Ten adding games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The eight game conference schedule is off the table - it'll be nine or ten.

Obviously, with more teams in the league, this was the only way to assure that every program will able to see the majesty of the Rutgers' campus as soon as possible.

It'll also produce more/better content for the Big Ten Net - what the implications are for further expansion, we'll see.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This actually makes the conference and network less appealing. Interconference games against quality competition get better ratings on average than conference games. In addition, with a selection committee, strength of schedule will matter, and that is usually driven by non-conference games.

The real reason for this? MAC guarantee game prices are probably approaching $2MM pretty rapidly, and those games are worthless for TV.

Reaction Score
It will be 9. B1G can't schedule 10 games. They'll lose home games if they do that, and the money made on home games is huge, as big as the TV money, and probably more--not to mention $$ for the community.

If you only have 2 OOC games a year, you're stuck at 6 homes games some years. That would kill places like Ann Arbor that have had 7 every year and even 8 in some years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With more teams, losing a non-conference game isn't a big deal. It increases the SOS.

The conference OOC strength will now be measured using 5 fewer total games.
12x4=48, 14x3=43.

Certain teams will now have one more loss. Maintaining 7 home dates will be the goal. Expect H/H BCS level agreements so that road games are at the team with 4 conference home games.

Opportunity for UConn to grab some.marquee road games. Zero chance of bigger home games.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Also, please note that Delany was petitioning the NCAA to not allow games (wins) against AA teams to count toward bowl eligibility. This would allow for better non-conference match-ups when the 10 game conference schedule becomes a reality.

I think the ultimate goal here for the B1G is that they go to 18 - two 9 team divisions. They play all the teams in their division (4 home, 4 away) and two crossover games (1 home, 1 away). The other conferences will follow.

I think ultimately we are going to see longer college football seasons (more in-season games) in a decade otherwise there will almost no interaction across divisions in these super-conferences.

Initially, if Delany's petition passes, I think a game against a AA team can be an exempt game (13th game) similar to teams that play at Hawaii. Eventually, we're going to see a 14 game season. It's a matter of time. More content = more dollars.

Reaction Score
The eight game conference schedule is off the table - it'll be nine or ten.

Obviously, with more teams in the league, this was the only way to assure that every program will able to see the majesty of the Rutgers' campus as soon as possible.

It'll also produce more/better content for the Big Ten Net - what the implications are for further expansion, we'll see.

that's incredible news (for Rutgers).

Thanks for posting Fishy

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i like that they are now allowing more night games for teams. those noon games of minn vs iowa just didn't do it. i like 3pm to 8pm start times for tailgating reasons...but hey, i'll play at 7am for a frucking invite.

Reaction Score
This actually makes the conference and network less appealing. Interconference games against quality competition get better ratings on average than conference games. In addition, with a selection committee, strength of schedule will matter, and that is usually driven by non-conference games.

The real reason for this? MAC guarantee game prices are probably approaching $2MM pretty rapidly, and those games are worthless for TV.

You say this will hurt revenue, but then say that they will probably drop the MAC games that are worthless.
Which is it?

Reaction Score

More significantly it will allow the schools' NYC alumni to see them on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
I think the ultimate goal here for the B1G is that they go to 18 - two 9 team divisions. They play all the teams in their division (4 home, 4 away) and two crossover games (1 home, 1 away). The other conferences will follow.
I think this is right, and have been saying it for a while. People lament the loss of true round robins (basketball)...what we'll get is four (or at least 3--PAC is screwed here), 18 team conferences, each which have true round robins against their division.

I think that means UConn eventually finds a seat somewhere.

Reaction Score
I think this is right, and have been saying it for a while. People lament the loss of true round robins (basketball)...what we'll get is four (or at least 3--PAC is screwed here), 18 team conferences, each which have true round robins against their division.

I think that means UConn eventually finds a seat somewhere.

PAC12 is not screwed. They own everything west of the rockies and they are 1 call away from adding the OKie schools. If they want, they could add a Boise, UNLV, New Mexico, and Tech. Do not sleep on the Pac12, they don't react, they are proactive and will move when they need to move. You really think TX and Okie want to be left in a landlocked conference w/1 recruting hotbed (TX).

Reaction Score
PAC12 is not screwed. They own everything west of the rockies and they are 1 call away from adding the OKie schools. If they want, they could add a Boise, UNLV, New Mexico, and Tech. Do not sleep on the Pac12, they don't react, they are proactive and will move when they need to move. You really think TX and Okie want to be left in a landlocked conference w/1 recruting hotbed (TX).
They could add Boise, UNLV, New Mexico, etc. There's a reason they haven't, and they won't. Those schools will dilute the brand. They're all worse options than UConn, and all of them have to improve their school and their programs light-years before they would be added.

That's the reason why Oklahoma isn't there now: the Pac wants nothing to do with Oklahoma State because of academics, and OSU looks like Yale in comparison to Boise.

They'd also have to swallow the poison pill of Texas--a school that made four of its conference mates desperate to leave. Texas is a great program. Oklahoma is a great program. If they want to stick together, in the middle of the country, they can get just about anyone to join them. Don't want to have access to only Texas students, take Florida State. They can, and maybe will, do that.

I think the Pac has played this as well as they could. There just aren't a lot of schools worthy of BCS level football west of Colorado. The only other school that could compete is BYU, and there are tons of reasons why the Pac doesn't want them.

Reaction Score
Also, please note that Delany was petitioning the NCAA to not allow games (wins) against AA teams to count toward bowl eligibility. This would allow for better non-conference match-ups when the 10 game conference schedule becomes a reality.

I think ultimately we are going to see longer college football seasons (more in-season games) in a decade otherwise there will almost no interaction across divisions in these super-conferences.

Initially, if Delany's petition passes, I think a game against a AA team can be an exempt game (13th game) similar to teams that play at Hawaii. Eventually, we're going to see a 14 game season. It's a matter of time. More content = more dollars.

I wouldn't mind seeing FCS games phased out but I think this goes to show that the gap will only get wider between the "haves" and "have nots" of college football. Everyone knows that the SEC, B1G, PAC-12, Big XII will all get richer (ACC could go either way) but the other 50 or schools that are FBS but not BCS will get screwed. I think the proposed TV deal illustrates this perfectly.

In a situation where the major conferences beef up on conference games there will be not opportunity for teams like UConn to host quality opponents. The only way we could have a decent schedule would be to play 7/8 road games which would be brutal.

#ThinkB1G
#HopeB1G
#PrayB1G

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing FCS games phased out but I think this goes to show that the gap will only get wider between the "haves" and "have nots" of college football. Everyone knows that the SEC, B1G, PAC-12, Big XII will all get richer (ACC could go either way) but the other 50 or schools that are FBS but not BCS will get screwed. I think the proposed TV deal illustrates this perfectly.

In a situation where the major conferences beef up on conference games there will be not opportunity for teams like UConn to host quality opponents. The only way we could have a decent schedule would be to play 7/8 road games which would be brutal.

Which leads me to wonder where these leagues see themselves heading. If they continue to phase out the 50 or so non "Power conference" teams, where are they going to expand from? Do they really forsee themselves consuming one of their "own" conference mates? Will it be the Big-12 or ACC?

If they freeze out those 50 teams, their programs are going to get worse and not be attractive to these conferences. Not saying they need to include them in their conference right now but these teams need to have access to OOC games with the Big name schools. Not just away games. Who would want to come to UConn to just play the NBE and some temas from the MWC, MAC, etc...I just don't see how this advantageous to the power conferences until they've finally settled on their conference membership.

Maybe this is just my way of trying to rationalize any small bit of hope I'm clinging on to.....

Reaction Score
Which leads me to wonder where these leagues see themselves heading. If they continue to phase out the 50 or so non "Power conference" teams, where are they going to expand from? Do they really forsee themselves consuming one of their "own" conference mates? Will it be the Big-12 or ACC?

If they freeze out those 50 teams, their programs are going to get worse and not be attractive to these conferences. Not saying they need to include them in their conference right now but these teams need to have access to OOC games with the Big name schools. Not just away games. Who would want to come to UConn to just play the NBE and some temas from the MWC, MAC, etc...I just don't see how this advantageous to the power conferences until they've finally settled on their conference membership.

Maybe this is just my way of trying to rationalize any small bit of hope I'm clinging on to.....

I HATE to see this happen to college football, it is such an uneven playing field but to maximize the revenue of this cash cowI think it will eventually come down to this:

65-80 power teams in 4/5 conferences that will play almost exclusively in attempts to maximize their revenue. This will probably include:
13/14 game schedule
8-16 team playoff
death to the other 40-55 schools

When i say death, there will still be quality football, it's not going to go away. Just be exponentially less profitable then afiliated schools, not matter how crappy thier programs are (BC, 'Cuse, Indiana, Vandy, Colorado).

Far too often in the sports world, if ESPN says something isn't important then its not. End of story.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Like I said:
@McMurphyESPN: Barry Alvarez says B1G will no longer schedule FCS opponents & Mich. State lobbying to be in B1G West @jaypo1961 reports

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
What they want is for each team to schedule 1 PAC, one B12, and one SEC home and away. ACC and Notre Dame in a pinch. UConn or Cincy are pity fracking for Indiana. Inbreeding is on the schedule for the Power 4.

Reaction Score
Like I said:
@McMurphyESPN: Barry Alvarez says B1G will no longer schedule FCS opponents & Mich. State lobbying to be in B1G West @jaypo1961 reports

Mich St. is lobbying for fear of what will happen on the Eastern side if they add 2-4 ACC teams. It will look like this: PSU, Rutgers, 4 ACC teams, Michigan St., Maryland, and one more unlucky school.

Reaction Score
Mich St. is lobbying for fear of what will happen on the Eastern side if they add 2-4 ACC teams. It will look like this: PSU, Rutgers, 4 ACC teams, Michigan St., Maryland, and one more unlucky school.

Of course you leave out Michigan and Ohio State (which will definitely be in the Big Ten East.)

You're too funny upstater. You might think I don't like you...but I do. I get a big kick out of you.

Michigan State is as good as gone to the Big Ten West.

Reaction Score
Of course you leave out Michigan and Ohio State (which will definitely be in the Big Ten East.)

You're too funny upstater. You might think I don't like you...but I do. I get a big kick out of you.

Michigan State is as good as gone to the Big Ten West.

Michigan St. clearly feels it's being slotted into the east, and that's why they're pushing west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom