Big Takeaway Going Forward | The Boneyard

Big Takeaway Going Forward

Reaction Score
I am impressed with what I saw from the freshman in the Providence game. Josh Carlton, Polley, and Whaley all looked solid, and played well in the team concept.

We started playing well with the insertion of Tyler Polley in the game. He is a very good player with high IQ and might be our second most talented player going forward. Terry Larrier is a low basketball IQ player and displays terrible instincts and intangibles in game. Ollie needs to reign him in by benching him immediately if he makes one terrible mistake. We play much better with Tyler Polley on the wing.

When Larrier plays bad remove him immediately from the game and insert Rique to form the 3 guard lineup with Polley on the wing and one of Carlton and Whaley as the big man.

Eric Cobb while an OK player should not start. Josh Carlton should be out starting big man, much more active, better defender, and quicker to the ball. Whaley should be first big off the bench, he provides good energy and activity.

Anderson is a raggedy player and should not play more than 5-7 minutes a game. Rique and Vital should be taking those minutes. Alterique played better without Larrier in the game as well. His defense needs to be better, but did some good things. He will look better playing with Jalen, CV and Polley in the game at the same time. This should be our 8 man rotation moving forward.

Starting Lineup: Jalen, Vital, Terry, Polley, and Carlton,
Bench: Rique, Whaley, and Cobb

Reaction Score
I am impressed with what I saw from the freshman in the Providence game. Josh Carlton, Polley, and Whaley all looked solid, and played well in the team concept.

We started playing well with the insertion of Tyler Polley in the game. He is a very good player with high IQ and might be our second most talented player going forward. Terry Larrier is a low basketball IQ player and displays terrible instincts and intangibles in game. Ollie needs to reign him in by benching him immediately if he makes one terrible mistake. We play much better with Tyler Polley on the wing.

When Larrier plays bad remove him immediately from the game and insert Rique to form the 3 guard lineup with Polley on the wing and one of Carlton and Whaley as the big man.

Eric Cobb while an OK player should not start. Josh Carlton should be out starting big man, much more active, better defender, and quicker to the ball. Whaley should be first big off the bench, he provides good energy and activity.

Anderson is a raggedy player and should not play more than 5-7 minutes a game. Rique and Vital should be taking those minutes. Alterique played better without Larrier in the game as well. His defense needs to be better, but did some good things. He will look better playing with Jalen, CV and Polley in the game at the same time. This should be our 8 man rotation moving forward.

You came to all these conclusions after 1 preseason game?

Very impressive.

Reaction Score

I'm just so thankful you aren't our coach!!

Reaction Score
You came to all these conclusions after 1 preseason game?

Very impressive.

Someone has to be the oracle. Of course those are my opinions, but they are based on sound analysis. Polley is a good piece to insert into the lineup without question. Carlton and Whaley are both better players than Cobb and Diarra. Larrier is exhibiting signs similar to Purvis that he is a low basketball IQ player who is inefficient. That needs to be reigned in harshly or else you will see a similar product to that of the last 3 years.

Jalen, CV, Larrier, Polley, Carlton looks to be the most talented and productive lineup. With Alterique coming in off the bench for either Polley or Larrier when one of them is not playing well. This provides a balance between shooting, basketball IQ, defense, athleticism, and offensive fluidity and production.

Reaction Score

The run with Polley in there happened when PC was up by 27 points.

It couldn't be that PC let their foot off the gas up 27 points in an exhibition game, could it?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The run with Polley in there happened when PC was up by 27 points.

It couldn't be that PC let their foot off the gas up 27 points in an exhibition game, could it?
As much as I disagree with a majority of magic's post, that run did occur with Polley in and Larrier on the bench. The flow on offense was better. Cooley called two time outs and inserted back his more experienced players. UConn was starting to look like the better team even if it was too little too late.

During that run UConn was playing great defense. Polley almost had a near steal with the team down 13. But unfortunately the loose ball bounced to an open PC player right near the basket. That was a momentum killer.

I disagree with magic about IQ. Larrier is potentially the best NBA prospect on the team. But KO stated a few weeks back that Larrier had not returned to pre injury form.

People have criticized Terry and KO for making the offense run through Terry. IMO it was designed. KO was trying to accelerate the process for Larrier. In the middle of the season he would pull a player who couldn't make baskets. Or at least not have him take so many. This was not a mid season game. Most of the earlier shots Larrier took were in the flow of the game and not contested. As PC figured out that Larrier was the go to guy they defended him harder. KO still gave him the green light because he recognized this was an exhibition and was willing to trade off the bragging rights of this game for the development of one of the major keys to this seasons success.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"raggedy player"

This is objectively awful analysis, but that one made me laugh (even though it's wholly inaccurate).

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
YsbKHg1.gif

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I believe you’d previously stated that Polley and Carlton were nothing special as recruits and that Kwintin Williams should be our starting power forward.

That too was based on sound analysis. Of youtube dunk videos.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom