Big Implications | The Boneyard

Big Implications

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just as a wild prediction, you will eventually (a long time from now) see a move toward the padded headgear used by some rugby players, a restriction on players more than 5 yards from scrimmage, an elimination of the 3pt stance, change in tackling rules and a major overhaul of the kicking game.

Oh, and a shiny new release form for every player/parent from peewee flag league up to the NFL.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know the kickoff is an exciting part of the game (and Larry Taylor and Nick Williams have given us some great memories over the years), but it is honestly a part of football that I could learn to live without. For every great game-changing play that is made on a kickoff, there are two mistakes made and at least one injury. If the game of football changed that portion of the game, I'm not sure I'll miss it.

Reaction Score
They should change tackling techniques. Or go without padding and helmets.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I do think there is some validity to moving to less pads/helmets to reduce the impacts involved. But I'm curious if there are similar long-term studies on rugby players and head trauma for comparison.

Reaction Score
I have to question the validity of any article which refers to Jeff Hostetler as "Giants' ex ace QB."

Reaction Score
If they want to get serious about stopping the concussions and neck/spine injuries, they need to start suspending players who tackle with their head down.

It's not even a penalty even though it could end your own career or life. Start at the peewee and high school level. The next time a guy tackles with his head down in a manner that could cause serious injury, he must sit for the rest of the quarter, do it again, and it's the rest of the game.

Kids will learn quickly how to tackle properly if they learn to understand their ability to step on the field depends on it.

Reaction Score
I know the kickoff is an exciting part of the game (and Larry Taylor and Nick Williams have given us some great memories over the years), but it is honestly a part of football that I could learn to live without. For every great game-changing play that is made on a kickoff, there are two mistakes made and at least one injury. If the game of football changed that portion of the game, I'm not sure I'll miss it.

i like what the NFL did with moving the kick off up. it seemed to me there were just as many big returns even though there were fewer returns in general. it seemed like it cut out most of the middling returns that end up between the 15 and 25, while preserving the big plays. for the most part it seemed players only came out of the end zone if they had a big play. i know it's only been one season, but i wouldn't mind seeing college mimic this

Reaction Score
Here's a 14 year old Dutch study of professional soccer players as compared to olympic level non-contact athletes that shows that players that have sustained concussions either through head contact other than the ball, or by frequent heading of the ball.....demonstrate impaired brain function.

Netherlands is still playing soccer, and pro soccer players are still banging heads against each other, and against goal posts, and against the ball - with no protective headgear.

The reason? Even with the exponenitally growing body of literature on the subject, there is no way to predict, who, how and when a person is going to get a clinically evident concussion, and there's even less evidence to show that repeated trauma has anythign to do with getting concussions, and there is no data to show that helmets do anythign related to concussions, and helmets and how they are used by players, has a lot more to do with jaw, face and neck injuries, than brain injuries.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9748028

The problem, is not that these brain injuries occur, or that they are related to developing neurologic problems later in life, it's that the NFL treats it's players the worst out of all pro-sports leagues world wide, adn that NFL players lay down their bodies to make money for those 32 owners like no other sport. It's not just their brains that NFL players are giving up, it's their knees, backs, hips, shoulders, hearts, kidneys.....

That's what the lawsuit is about - making sure that the NFL treats it's gladiators the way they should be treated for what they risk, to make those owners money.

Football is not going away. The worldwide kind, or the american kind.

Reaction Score
Here's a 14 year old Dutch study of professional soccer players as compared to olympic level non-contact athletes that shows that players that have sustained concussions either through head contact other than the ball, or by frequent heading of the ball.....demonstrate impaired brain function.

Netherlands is still playing soccer, and pro soccer players are still banging heads against each other, and against goal posts, and against the ball - with no protective headgear.

The reason? Even with the exponenitally growing body of literature on the subject, there is no way to predict, who, how and when a person is going to get a clinically evident concussion, and there's even less evidence to show that repeated trauma has anythign to do with getting concussions, and there is no data to show that helmets do anythign related to concussions, and helmets and how they are used by players, has a lot more to do with jaw, face and neck injuries, than brain injuries.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9748028

The problem, is not that these brain injuries occur, or that they are related to developing neurologic problems later in life, it's that the NFL treats it's players the worst out of all pro-sports leagues world wide, adn that NFL players lay down their bodies to make money for those 32 owners like no other sport. It's not just their brains that NFL players are giving up, it's their knees, backs, hips, shoulders, hearts, kidneys.....

That's what the lawsuit is about - making sure that the NFL treats it's gladiators the way they should be treated for what they risk, to make those owners money.

Football is not going away. The worldwide kind, or the american kind.

Did you just cite a study that concluded soccer players who sustained concussions dealt with impaired brain function and then write that there's essentially no evidence "repeated trauama has anything to do with getting concussions"?

It's tough to follow along when you argue conflicting points of view, and then conclude by justifying a lawsuit for money that won't do anything to ease the trauma on the head or the body of those "gladiators".

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I do think there is some validity to moving to less pads/helmets to reduce the impacts involved. But I'm curious if there are similar long-term studies on rugby players and head trauma for comparison.

Getting to wind up for 15 yds and tee off on someone at a full sprint has a lot to do with it as well. Can't do that so easily, or often in other sports. Some basic rules need to be changed.

The armor effect also eliminates the minor bumps that make the big hits more essential in the game. It's a different skill and intensity level of course, but backyard FB doesn't have those types of hits. Just need to guard against losing teeth and bumping noggins. A soft padded helmet and a mouth guard should be enough.

This evolution would lead to a more uniform body type for players. Skinny fast guys couldn't hang and bigger slow guys couldn't keep up.

Reaction Score
Getting to wind up for 15 yds and tee off on someone at a full sprint has a lot to do with it as well. Can't do that so easily, or often in other sports. Some basic rules need to be changed.

The armor effect also eliminates the minor bumps that make the big hits more essential in the game. It's a different skill and intensity level of course, but backyard FB doesn't have those types of hits. Just need to guard against losing teeth and bumping noggins. A soft padded helmet and a mouth guard should be enough.

This evolution would lead to a more uniform body type for players. Skinny fast guys couldn't hang and bigger slow guys couldn't keep up.

You're describing rugby.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure swimmers don't suffer the same injuries so I'll go along with the study that concludes head injuries result from concussive trauma due to helmets crashing together. However I'll watch the Olympics next month just to be sure they aren't getting hurt. Maybe some beach volleyball too!

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
You're describing rugby.

I do realize that, also Aussie rules, the old leather helmet FB and to an extent soccer. I subscribe to the idea that modern equipment along with nutrition and performance training has weaponized the players. The current rules can keep up. Hockey has a similar issue, but they've been trying to address this for a while especially hits from behind and charging has always gotten you two minutes in the penalty box.

Reaction Score
Two things I've thought for years

1) The padding and helmets in football contribute to injuries (as mentioned here) people feel bullet-proof and hard plastic on flesh and bone is not a good combo. Pull the pads and helmets and you'll reduce the injuries as people will no longer be likely to launch head-long (benefiting both the tackler and tacklee)

2) Introduce the rugby rule where the tackled player must be brought/held down. If you launch (actually illegal in rugby) and knocked the guy down, he isn't considered tackled and is free to get up and run, you would have to wrap to secure the tackle. (Similarly the diving trip/cut technique from corners would result in non-legal tackles)

End result of #2 is the re-inforcement of good solid form tackling, an art sorely lacking at all levels of football right now.

Reaction Score
This also just in: study says there is no correlation between smoking and a person's health.

Did you just cite a study that concluded soccer players who sustained concussions dealt with impaired brain function and then write that there's essentially no evidence "repeated trauama has anything to do with getting concussions"?

It's tough to follow along when you argue conflicting points of view, and then conclude by justifying a lawsuit for money that won't do anything to ease the trauma on the head or the body of those "gladiators".

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I have to question the validity of any article which refers to Jeff Hostetler as "Giants' ex ace QB."
Well he did win a super bowl , if that counts for anything.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There will always be football. It makes so much money that they will always find people to play it. But they will never stop concussions, they come from the brain hitting inside of the skull.

Reaction Score
The game of gridiron football IS becoming globalized.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So did Trent Dilfer. So no... no, it doesn't. ;)

Jeff Hostletler was a good NFL quarterback. He was 51-32 as a starter. Guy only started 4 games before he turned 30. It wasn't his fault he was stuck behind Simms.

I have a good friend who worked for the Giants when he had his concussion problems - he was lucky to have smart people encourage him to not return in the miserable 1992 season.

His passer ratings in the 80s don't look good compared to the numbers today, but he's still in the career top 55 and is in the top 40 in interception percentage. It was a different game then, there wasn't a pass interference call every 3 downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom