Big Game for the Sun Tonight | The Boneyard

Big Game for the Sun Tonight

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Tonight will be the biggest, and most challenging game of this young season for a number of reasons (Nikki Collen, a complete and talent-packed team at home coming off a loss to the Merc, Sun clearly a targeted team now).

There are no easy games in the W, and I won't diminish the effort it took to pull off a 5-0 start, but Sun have made the most out of playing tired and/or somewhat incomplete teams to date. That will not be the case tonight. The Dream are on a home stand, complete, prepped and highly motivated to take down the Sun tonight. If the Sun prevail it would be a HUGE statement.

On behalf of the few and the proud Sun fans here... LET'S GO SUN!!!!

De7l_jQWAAUMq9Y.jpg:large

Reaction Score
Looking forward to this game. It'll be an interesting test. Nikki Collen knows the Sun players well.

Go Sun!

Reaction Score
I think the Sun would have to have a really bad shooting night to lose. Chiney, Alyssa, and Jonquel are pretty much unstoppable unless they defeat themselves. That's a killer frontcourt.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Really bad shooting night....
Big free throw disparity....
Sun lose.

Atlanta played pretty good D, but the Sun missed a lot of open shots they should have made.

This isn't the AAC, you come out flat or unfocused, you will lose most nights even against the worst team.

:(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup - tough one. Really bad shooting night, and they looked tired and frustrated. They took a bunch more shots than the Dream, and even scored more field goals, but didn't get to the line as much. I wish Williams and Bentley would try do that a little more. Be more Hayes-like!

I thought the Sun actually started the game pretty well, with some nice ball movement. But Atlanta clamped down on D and stayed active and hungry.

Good reminder that, ultimately, nothing comes easy in the league. And a good reminder for me as a fan not to get too arrogant about - or just overly hung up on - my team. :p

I feel a little relief that the first loss is out of the way. They're still 5-1. Last year, they started 1-5. I think they'll get their mojo back quickly (like, by Thursday).

To New York! GO SUN!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Sun shot about 37%, which is low for them. As someone pointed out, their 5-0 start was against some weak teams and good teams with players missing. I still think they are a top 2 team, but the league is showing some real parity.

Give Atlanta some credit too. The leading scorer was one Tiffany Kiara Hayes. I believe she was in the WNBA All-Star Game last year and in USA Basketball camp. TipHayes can play!

Reaction Score
The Sun could have used Kia Nurse.
So true. Kia seems to be playing the part of the player who has a motor running when no one else on the team seems to have one. The Sun really could have used that last night. Lexie Brown, at this point, is not an option in a close game.

Reaction Score
I can't believe how bad the attendance is for Atlanta. Last night was 2830 officially and it looked like far less. I'm going there the next time the Sun visit and I have second row center court seats reserved. I just hope the Sun play better next time.

Reaction Score
I think this game confirmed what I thought. LA is the team to beat this season with Conn a close 2nd. I hope it's these two in the finals!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anyone know why Clarendon comes off the bench for Atlanta? Montgomery is now the starter, which is great, but Clarendon was invited to the Team USA tryouts, while I believe Monty was not. But it appears Renee has beaten her out for the starting PG spot? Or is Clarendon coming back form an injury or something?

Reaction Score
Renee has beaten Layshia out; it is that simple. She outplayed her in camp to earn the job and hasn't done anything to lose it yet, so she stays starting.

Playing at Georgia Tech is hurting attendance in Atlanta.

No disrespect, but Kia Nurse isn't getting in the game on the Sun except for maybe Banham's minutes. She's not beating out Jaz, Williams, or Bentley for time.

Kia got her opportunity because of injuries to Piph, Rodgers and Boyd. To her credit, she took the opportunity and ran with it, good for her. But if those three were healthy at the start of the season not sure how many minutes Nurse gets in NY either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom