Big East will add Boise, San Diego St, Houston, UCF, SMU Wednesday. Will join league in 2013 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East will add Boise, San Diego St, Houston, UCF, SMU Wednesday. Will join league in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
OT 'cause I can -- a little story in relation to your avatar, Drum. Had a friend who hated Geno. I was able to convince her to join me for a game v. Pitt (in Pitt, pre Agnus - when they had that kid with the Welsh name?) and then take her to the post-game press conference. She "got it."

Of course, before the game, we went out for a great burger and a beer -- I bought her an "Arrogant Bastard" to celebrate.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Coming from CBSSports - all UConn sports teams are going to be racking up some frequent flyer miles. How does everyone feel about the new additions vs the schools leaving - Pitt, W Va and Syracuse? What affect if any on recruting? May help - even more national exposure?

This makes no sense to me, UNLESS the next step in the dance is for UConn to go to the ACC. Way too much travel affects academics as well as athletics.

Call me confused.

OC

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"It seems they would have to change the name from The Big EAST to something else!"

How about the Big Blob. This is truly horrendous. Yeah, it keeps UConn in a league. But there is only one real "rival" left, and that is Rutgers. For that matter, they haven't been much of a rival for our men's hoops. I feel myself longing for the Yankee Conference when at least there was some juice flowing when URI and UMass came to town. I can hardly wait for the big game against SMU.

Reaction Score
Texas recruits will be able to play four times (at least) in their home state during their four years...eight total if UConn continues the home and home series with Baylor and TAMU! Plus I get to see the team more! Great news!!

Bad news for you personally, though, sarals24 - the Big East is moving your house to Fairbanks!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Ha! The weather here today in Texas is below 40 and I am miserable. No way would I survive!

Reaction Score
I think it is unfortunate, all the excess travel. I think the conferences should be regional.
I think it is difficult for college students and stressfull; can't help us.

Reaction Score
Way too much travel...

I think it is unfortunate, all the excess travel. I think the conferences should be regional.
I think it is difficult for college students and stressfull; can't help us.

Explain to me how there's a significant increase in travel over what currently exists.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There's no new news, so we have to suck it up and live with it. Eric will get to see football live every other year or so.. It helps football actually as they are upgrades BS > WV; SMU, UCF and HU better than Cuse/Pitt. SDSU who knows. It can't hurt BE women as they will have even more exposure in TX as noted above. Men's bball not a whit and the olympic sports just more costly.
As I already stated, if the team was already making a long road trip every year (which most are) and this is substituted for it, how exactly is there an increase in travel costs?

Secondly, it's not for all sports.
- These schools don't have ice hockey.
- Houston doesnt have field hockey or lacrosse. Havent checked the other 2.
- Track doesnt have individual matches, just regional meets.

Largely we're look at M&W basketball, M&W soccer, baseball, softball, W volleyball.

A non-issue for basketball.
A non-issue for baseball/softball, which are already spending the first 4-5 weeks of the season (in Feb/Mar) traveling to warm weather.
These two posts sum up things fairly well. The biggest hits are men's bb is severely downgraded and there will be greater difficulty of developing rivalries. Most of the olympic sports will be played amongst the old guard schools minus WV, Syracuse and Pitt.

The conference could have stayed regional and considered schools like ECU, Memphis, and Temple. The BE schools, including UConn, did not like this option.

In addition to the BCS there was another overwhelming consideration in choosing the teams and that is the upcoming media contract that will be going for bid in about 17 months. Notre Dame was chair of the search committee and I believe, purely speculation on my part, they took on this role because they are the only school that could have discussions with NBC. The rest of the schools and the BE are bound by contract to ESPN and cannot negotiate until the 17 months are over. I could be wrong but Notre Dame could have discussion with NBC asking them about hypothetical questions about hypothetical conferences or moves and how this would influence NBC's contact with Notre Dame. So the schools being brought in are probably the schools most likely to help future media contract negotiations.

So this was about monies most likely. I don't see that as being particularly bad. Athletics is a big drain on schools budgets. If there is an offer to subsidize the costs through the media's desire to air the products, it would be foolish of the universities not to avail themselves of this opportunity. And if we find the influence of money to be repulsive in college athletics, the simple solution would be to eliminate organized athletics all together and go the intramural or club route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom