Big East vs. Big Ten for MSG | The Boneyard

Big East vs. Big Ten for MSG

Reaction Score
I wish there was one more sentence to that tweet. "Delany went on to explain that the B1G stands ready to invite UConn to join the conference in order to close the deal with MSG."

Neither of these conferences have a natural fit with MSG like the old Big East did.

Reaction Score
Sad to see all those Big East fans talking about how great the conference is when most of them haven't won anything ever, and only 1 has had recent national championships. UConn can get more fans in MSG than any school in either of those conferences.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sad to see all those Big East fans talking about how great the conference is when most of them haven't won anything ever, and only 1 has had recent national championships. UConn can get more fans in MSG than any school in either of those conferences.
It’s Nova keeping them afloat. Xavier was good but we’ll see how they do now

Reaction Score
Memory's a bit foggy; but 538 (I think) ran a report a while back when everything was up in the air showing that the the teams with the biggest market share at MSG was Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and ND.

The new Big East is in the NYC metro; but, both local schools have not done much, St. John's, or are very small, Seton Hall with 5,800, while only a few schools would travel to MSG, such as Providence, Villanova, and G-Town. Before the end, the old Big East knew that UConn and Syracuse owned MSG. Just think of the atomoshpher during Big East Toruney matches between the two schools or who had home court advantage when either school played St. John's in the regular season.

As for the B1G, it can't count on Rutgers' fans as they are MIA due to their school's performance on the court over the last few decades. Yeah, when they visit, Maryland, Indiana, Michigan do draw well; but, its not a regular presence. With Syracuse and ND basketball in the ACC, the only way for the B1G to have a solid presence at MSG and NYC in general for basketball is to add UConn.

Reaction Score
The B1G will commence poaching NBE of its coaches until there's no resistance.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No way MSG moves the Big East tournament. They play there yearly and have been a mainstay for decades. The BIG is still going to play their tournament in other locations

This. If the B1G committed to playing it at MSG every year, I think they would boot the Big East.

I don't think the fans in Chicago/Indianapolis would be keen on that though.

Reaction Score
No way MSG moves the Big East tournament. They play there yearly and have been a mainstay for decades. The BIG is still going to play their tournament in other locations

lol. This is where the 'genius' of the Ewing and Mullin hires kick in... In the absence of the old Big East powers, they brought in some old names that people recognize.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
[B][I]Kyle Knauff[/I][/B][I]‏ @[B]KylePTAgent[/B][/I] 5h5 hours ago
More
Replying to @[B]AdamJardy[/B]
If by “next level” he means, not winning national championships, then he is correct. #bigeast

lol.

Memory's a bit foggy; but 538 (I think) ran a report a while back when everything was up in the air showing that the the teams with the biggest market share at MSG was Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and ND.

The new Big East is in the NYC metro; but, both local schools have not done much, St. John's, or are very small, Seton Hall with 5,800, while only a few schools would travel to MSG, such as Providence, Villanova, and G-Town. Before the end, the old Big East knew that UConn and Syracuse owned MSG. Just think of the atomoshpher during Big East Toruney matches between the two schools or who had home court advantage when either school played St. John's in the regular season.

As for the B1G, it can't count on Rutgers' fans as they are MIA due to their school's performance on the court over the last few decades. Yeah, when they visit, Maryland, Indiana, Michigan do draw well; but, its not a regular presence. With Syracuse and ND basketball in the ACC, the only way for the B1G to have a solid presence at MSG and NYC in general for basketball is to add UConn.
That report was about the NYC DMA not MSG. RU never did much at the Garden. NJ is a state with 9M people about 1/2 to 2/3 are in the NYC DMA. That is the reason why the showed at all on that poll.

It's a long trip down from Canada to NYC, but cuse fans did well for BET turnout.

UConn has an amazing presence at the Garden. Delaney has seen it first hand. He needs to understand that the power and electricity he saw wasn't just MSG, it was UConn at MSG.

This seems like job for @Dooley ;)

As long as we are talking BET:
1539282270248.png

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score

That was which football programs have the most fans in NY metro.

Reaction Score
I think UConn under Hurley will maintain and even grow our involvement and presence at MSG. The whole 6th Borough concept, or put another way, the elite national power that is UConn men's college basketball, which dominates the U.S. northeast, sitting right up top of New York City, we belong in MSG, and I bet we will sell these NY and Jersey players with the chance to play here in front of their families and friends.

UConn is back!

Reaction Score
MSG needs to bring back the old Holiday festival during Christmas season. Local powers like Uconn, Syracuse, ( yes I know how far they are, but they bring the fans) local big name schools like Seton Hall, St Johns ( yes I know, but they are a NYC team with a historical presence) and a few other locals like Rutgers, Fordham and the like. Of course not all at the same time. Then bring in big names from other parts of the country. 8 teams. I am old enough to remember this annual event, it was a terrific tourney every winter during christmas/ new years.

Reaction Score
I'm interested to see what the Big East does here. It's going to be tough to beat the Big Ten financially, B10 could probably just pay MSG heaps more for that second weekend. MSG is going to put some pressure on the BE to go somewhere else, at least once every five years probably.

The NBE should recognize that they are a shell of the OBE and accept playing a tournament in Philly or Indy one year. Yes you lose "tradition" but most of that tradition is already gone with UConn, Syracuse, etc. out and Creighton in. Philly would make Nova happy and Indy would make the western half of the conference happy.

Reaction Score
MSG needs to bring back the old Holiday festival during Christmas season. Local powers like Uconn, Syracuse, ( yes I know how far they are, but they bring the fans) local big name schools like Seton Hall, St Johns ( yes I know, but they are a NYC team with a historical presence) and a few other locals like Rutgers, Fordham and the like. Of course not all at the same time. Then bring in big names from other parts of the country. 8 teams. I am old enough to remember this annual event, it was a terrific tourney every winter during christmas/ new years.
What I want to see is 8 games over 2 days- round robin style.

From the NBE: Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Georgetown (or substitute Seton Hall for a team)
From other conferences: UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia (or Louisville, BC, Rutgers etc.)

Four NBE teams play four OBE teams Saturday, then different matchups Sunday. Its not tourney style, but all of those fanbases descending on MSG for a weekend is the closest we will ever get to the old BET

Reaction Score
With no shot at the MSG, the ACC, after their two year run at Barclay's, seems to have settled on that as their venue for their NY tourney visits. Returning in 2022.

The Big Ten played its 2018 tournament in the MSG a week before the Big East's.

I wonder if, when the BE-MSG contract is up in 2026, whether the MSG will go with the B1G and if the BE wants to play there, they will have to play early.

The BE does have a three decade old tradition at the Garden.

CL82

Reaction Score
With no shot at the MSG, the ACC, after their two year run at Barclay's, seems to have settled on that as their venue for their NY tourney visits. Returning in 2022.

I wonder if, when the BE-MSG contract is up in 2026, whether the MSG will go with the B1G and if the BE wants to play there, they will have to play early.

Well the Old Big East did. This start up conference that bought the name? Not so much.

Reaction Score

MSG will not boot the BE and go with the B1G as the B1G does not want to play in MSG every year. That said, it would make some sense for the BE to play 4 out of 5 years in MSG and the other year in Chicago. Remember, the BE has DePaul, Creighton, Marquette, Butler, and Cincinnati which are all much closer to Chicago than New York.

CL82

Reaction Score
MSG will not boot the BE and go with the B1G as the B1G does not want to play in MSG every year. That said, it would make some sense for the BE to play 4 out of 5 years in MSG and the other year in Chicago. Remember, the BE has DePaul, Creighton, Marquette, Butler, and Cincinnati which are all much closer to Chicago than New York.
This actually makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom