big east tournament routines: what you got? | The Boneyard

big east tournament routines: what you got?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
other than the times attending the games (mebbe 1/2 dozen gardenfests), most of the time as an adult, i made plans to be in the high country to watch the gang, schuss, and etc with pals, some even fans of our rivals. big fun. a wonderful big east tourney routine, replete with husky haute couture, and pizza. as much as i was hopeful for the aac experiment, it didn't work out. the 'come back inside for the games' for that tourney never had juice. i guess i didn't have enuf pals who went to wichita state or east carolina. anyway, what's old is thankfully new again, so, any resumption of old times BE tourney routines out there? looks like my loser st johns pals are going to be in if it goes down, with their 24/7 red clothes wearing (embarrassing), and mebbe some friar clamheads too, but no more vnova pussycats-those people never shut up. it all started very young for me, when i would march around home and school, and inform everyone 'stay back! it's Husky Week! im busy!' i mean, seriously, when do you ever get a chance in life to see ur team play as many as 5 sudden-death games in 5 days! i never could convince the rents that it was a national holiday, and that i should be absolved of all duties, including school. lol.

Reaction Score
My routine sucks. Chair pushed close to the TV. Often alone (sad I know). I actually don't care to watch with others. Yelling.

Change of topic a bit. My 2011 routine specifically was mostly at work. At least for the first 3 games. I remember rushing out of the office and stopping at the first bar. I knew we beat Pitt, but no specifics beyond that. The bartender (in Fargo mind you) was behind the bar, chatting up some dude, describing the events he just watched while imitating Kemba's step back. In that moment I didn't know what he was talking about or recreating. I couldn't quite hear him. Minutes later the highlight was on TV and I knew. It was cool this see some random midwest dude talking about my squad. Imitating my boy.

I spent most of the next 3 weeks traveling for work. Working on some agricultural electronic widget in a field in Illinois. Watching most of our games from a hotel room.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Drove too the vast majority of Uconn games from 1990 through 2012. Usually paid top dollar for good seats in the secondary market.

Best moments included (there were many) the semifinal and final in 1990, Allen > Iverson in big comeback in 96, epic battles with Pitt, 1999, 2002, 2004, 6 OTs in 2009 and the last three games in 2011 starting with Kemba breaking ankles vs Pitt.

There were very few bad BET memories once the GOAT came to Storrs, but the worst has to he getting destroyed early by St John's in 2010 when Doug Gott-Nothing told Roscoe Smith he should de-commit because the wheels were falling off the program. I miss that clueless commentary, tons of great material

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Drove too the vast majority of Uconn games from 1990 through 2012. Usually paid top dollar for good seats in the secondary market.

Best moments included (there were many) the semifinal and final in 1990, Allen > Iverson in big comeback in 96, epic battles with Pitt, 1999, 2002, 2004, 6 OTs in 2009 and the last three games in 2011 starting with Kemba breaking ankles vs Pitt.

There were very few bad BET memories once the GOAT came to Storrs, but the worst has to he getting destroyed early by St John's in 2010 when Doug Gott-Nothing told Roscoe Smith he should de-commit because the wheels were falling off the program. I miss that clueless commentary, tons of great material
Now Gottlieb gets to call Utah State twice in a weekend.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I got my wisdom teeth out the morning of the DePaul game in 2011. Wore the same pair of UConn pajama pants the entire BET weekend. Wore them the entire NCAA tournament run.

Popped a few stitches in my mouth after the Kemba shot vs Pitt.

“Advance the pants!”

They are now hanging on my wall. Never washed them either.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Leave work early whenever we had an early game (BE and NCAA tourneys).
Occasionally venture down to the Garden.
Occasionally venture into a Buffalo Wild Wings. These are actually really fun for big UConn games - someone usually replicates Big Red, and there are the standard U-C-O-N-N chants.
Occasionally sit home by myself and either laugh and dance or laugh and cry.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I got my wisdom teeth out the morning of the DePaul game in 2011. Wore the same pair of UConn pajama pants the entire BET weekend. Wore them the entire NCAA tournament run.

Popped a few stitches in my mouth after the Kemba shot vs Pitt.

“Advance the pants!”

They are now hanging on my wall. Never washed them either.
“Advance the pants!”
epic. freaking hilarious. an instant classic.
7f2cc2a8fd3fed1ae4e21a5acc860b5a.jpg

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'll never forget watching the Kemba step-back game in school during a professional development half-day.
I remember where I was for this as well. I ended up running around my condo. I also remember as soon as I saw Pitt switch McGee onto Kemba, it was not going to end well for the big guy. Poor kid.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
tourney memory, and i garuntee that it will never happen again to me. new gf, and somehow i get dragged to waltham, ma to spend that weekend at her pals home, so they can 'meet the new guy.' fine, im thinking, i'll just tell them my situation, and commandeer the tv. reasonable, right?
wrongo. nice folks, but they're 'anti-tv' types, filled with brains believing that bugs and popeye are too violent for their kids. no tv in their home. i manage to catch the first games at local places (non-negotiable), but then the champ game comes (iverson, ray ray game), with snow everywhere, and my 'drive to watch it' routine gets snowed out. fine, i guess im left with my radio as the only option, except that part of waltham had only sketchy reception, and next to none indoors at that home. believe me, i tried, 'what's he doing in the attic? the basement?...' somewhere in the second half i give up on the indoor plan, put on my 10th mountain division clothes, and head out to the street for better, albeit still lousy reception. i finally find a spot standing on someones snow pile in their front yard, with a few minutes left, and heard 'ray made the shot!' those folks had a picture window in their living room, and all could watch me fumbling, then jumping up and down when the shot dropped. new gf later tells me that her pals had some reservations aboot me, and i was like 'they have no tv, yet i'm the weird one?'
(don't know if it's still there, but that pbs tv chef ming guy had his restaurant in that neighborhood, a crowded, dumpy shoebox of a place.)

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Usually i always attended, but of course in 2011 i didn't make it. I remember being stuck at work for the Pitt game and when Kemba hit that step back i was just about to yell until i realized i was at work. Always wished i was at home so i could of danced and yelled around my living room like a child.

Reaction Score
This is actually gonna be my first Big East Tournament. I started watching in 2014-2015 so all I really know is the American.

Reaction Score
No routine. Just vacation time from work to watch. FS1 does a fantastic job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom