Big East Tournament - Next Year | The Boneyard

Big East Tournament - Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Obviously the new Big East (Catholic 7) won't be holding their tournament in Hartford. I wonder where they will host it. It appears Philly might be the most logical choice as its centrally located for most of the schools.

Where might the America 12 or what ever the conference name that UConn belongs to host their tournament? Would Hartford still make sense? Sure the UConn fans would still attend the UConn games, but would any other school's fans travel. I wonder if Cincinnati area might be the more logical choice even though they don't have a great fan base. Another suggestion I would make is to host the mens and women's tournament in the same city like the Big 12 usually does.

Reaction Score
Obviously the new Big East (Catholic 7) won't be holding their tournament in Hartford. I wonder where they will host it. It appears Philly might be the most logical choice as its centrally located for most of the schools.

Where might the America 12 or what ever the conference name that UConn belongs to host their tournament? Would Hartford still make sense? Sure the UConn fans would still attend the UConn games, but would any other school's fans travel. I wonder if Cincinnati area might be the more logical choice even though they don't have a great fan base. Another suggestion I would make is to host the mens and women's tournament in the same city like the Big 12 usually does.

I think Atlanta is as central as anywhere... ;)

Reaction Score
They would be insane not to hold it in Hartford next year.

The other schools don't travel much now, and the ones coming in surely wont either.

You don't establish league credibility by holding a tournament in Cincinnati in front of 10 people.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Storrs might be the better option than Hartford.
Why? If teams are coming from all over and their fans as well, where are they staying?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It's going to be Hartford imho. There's already talk of the men's tourney being there as well. If I was choosing for myself, I'd pick NO but not many fans would go. No doubt we're going to carry the load of the AM12 while we're in it (which may be a while).

Reaction Score
You go where the most fans will show up. Unless Memphis, SMU, Central Florida, Temple, Houston, et al can demonstrate they can draw fans to their own women's teams in the regular season, then you keep it where you know at least some of the games will have a very good draw.

I go to the entire (and this will be my final) Big East Tournament. Every game - from tip off to final buzzer. I am leaving work in an hour to move my car to the Morgan Street garage and get to the XL before the 4:00 tip off of Seton Hall vs. Cincinnati. But, I live in CT. Will I take time off from work to travel to another city for the new conference tournament? Depends on where it was, but on the whole I would say probably not. And, the old BE has the contract at Hartford...but in light of the just announced now official C7 departure it is unlikely they will want to keep it here. Makes sense that America12 (or whatever) would offer to take their place.

When the current contract expires, and there has been time for the new conferencemates to prove they have the fan support to have it in their city, then it can be up for negotiation. Until then keep it where the fans come for at least SOME of the games.

As an aside, during this year's tournament, I don't care who the teams are that are playing - any team that is not a C7 team will have my support - except ND because I have a strong feeling they will go with the C7s for their olympic sports for next year. AND I plainly and simply despise them. So, much as it may kill me to do so, Rutgers will have my support - even against good ol' Harry's Wildcats.

Reaction Score
Why? If teams are coming from all over and their fans as well, where are they staying?

I haven't been to Storrs, but I imagine it has accessible hotels in the vicinity. I was just thinking that the tourney would be more feasible i.e. cheaper than what I hear about everything involved with a game in Hartford. None of the teams involved (those that are permanent members) have exceptional attendance. Which would leave me to believe that they don't travel all that well. I just thought Storrs would provide attendance in a more economical manner. I think UConn dominance is all but given. Even if I was a UConn fan I'm not sure I'd want to fork out that kind of money for a sure thing against the competition they'll face when I could wait a week and see a better set of games in the tourney. My understanding is the contract for the tourney is up this year with the XL. Would it still be worth it to all involved? Would they lower prices to be more in line with the quality of games? I just remember when Rutgers hosted and thought a member schools gym would be a better option. If that's the case the only place it could be is in Storrs.

Reaction Score
As an aside, during this year's tournament, I don't care who the teams are that are playing - any team that is not a C7 team will have my support - except ND because I have a strong feeling they will go with the C7s for their olympic sports for next year. AND I plainly and simply despise them. So, much as it may kill me to do so, Rutgers will have my support - even against good ol' Harry's Wildcats.

I agree with you there. I believe the ACC announced earlier this week that if ND is able to negotiate an early exit from the conference, then they would accept ND into the Olympic sports for next year, so ND would go directly into that conference.

Reaction Score
I haven't been to Storrs, but I imagine it has accessible hotels in the vicinity. I was just thinking that the tourney would be more feasible i.e. cheaper than what I hear about everything involved with a game in Hartford. None of the teams involved (those that are permanent members) have exceptional attendance.

The closest hotel in the Storrs area is the Nathan Hale Inn, which is on the UConn campus. It does have full conference/banquet facilities. However, after that, the closest (and decent) hotels are in the Manchester & Vernon areas...a good 12-16 miles west of the campus.

Reaction Score
Without the Catholics (especially ND), don't rule out Mohegan Sun as an option again.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Guru, Mel Greenberg tweeted that the new Big East might be open to holding their tournament at the Mohegan Sun. Surprising since some of these same schools objected to holding it there while a member of the current Big East

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I found a website that calculates geographic midpoints:
http://geomidpoint.com/
Of course, this will change with the composition of the league but currently the midpoint (geographic location mean) is at the middle of the border between Georgia and Tennessee...so Atlanta is pretty close, as is Nashville.
Unfortunately, there are not any schools that would be close to this site even though they average out here.
Louisville would make sense geographically but why would you let a team that is leaving in a year host your conference tourney?
Memphis and Cincy could also be somewhat near the geographic mean but for women's hoops as pointed out above, the attendence would be awful.
Hartford is only convenient to Rutgers and UConn, but would obviously get many more fans for women's hoops.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

There are plenty of high school and small college gyms in Philly that will be able to handle the crowd. No need for anything seating more than 3500.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I haven't been to Storrs, but I imagine it has accessible hotels in the vicinity. I was just thinking that the tourney would be more feasible i.e. cheaper than what I hear about everything involved with a game in Hartford. None of the teams involved (those that are permanent members) have exceptional attendance. Which would leave me to believe that they don't travel all that well. I just thought Storrs would provide attendance in a more economical manner. I think UConn dominance is all but given. Even if I was a UConn fan I'm not sure I'd want to fork out that kind of money for a sure thing against the competition they'll face when I could wait a week and see a better set of games in the tourney. My understanding is the contract for the tourney is up this year with the XL. Would it still be worth it to all involved? Would they lower prices to be more in line with the quality of games? I just remember when Rutgers hosted and thought a member schools gym would be a better option. If that's the case the only place it could be is in Storrs.

Nah....make no sense. Your not having been there and not knowing the local hotel situation explains why you thought Storrs would work.

Reaction Score
Didn't the NCAA say NJ was again available for tournaments??? A judge overturned their new betting law...

Reaction Score
It should be DePaul, Xavier, or Villanova as host next year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The Guru, Mel Greenberg tweeted that the new Big East might be open to holding their tournament at the Mohegan Sun. Surprising since some of these same schools objected to holding it there while a member of the current Big East

Maybe the Catholic 7 could cut a deal with the Mohegans to grant them use of a hall for them to host a Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom