Big East to vote on increasing exit fees on Friday | The Boneyard

Big East to vote on increasing exit fees on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Per Sporting News...

The Big East Conference will attempt a major step toward securing a football future during a Friday conference call scheduled to include a vote on dramatically increasing the exit fee for universities wishing to leave for other conferences.

A source close to the league told Sporting News the meeting will ask schools to approve a change in the league bylaws that would require a school to pay three times its annual share of league television revenue in order to depart.

Under the league’s current deal, that would raise the buyout to between $15-17 million. If the league were able to gain a TV contract even close to the one it recently declined from ESPN -- $1.4 billion over 9 years – that escape clause would become even more substantial.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ast-to-vote-on-increasing-exit-fees-on-friday

Interesting...source says Louisville may not participate in the call.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let me name the other schools who won't participate in the call. Connecticut, Rutgers, Cincinnati, South Florida, West Virginia and Notre Dame.

Section205

Reaction Score
Should have been done years ago....

True.

Don't think this will pass. 4 schools would have to vote NO.

Just a guess with the No votes....FB schools...UCONN, WVU, Rutgers, Cincy, and UL if they're on the call.

Reaction Score
So if you need a 75% approval by members to make a change and if UL is a no show the are going to need the remaining 5 school to vote yes.

Odds on that happening? Who knows.

All I know is if this drags out the chance of the BE surviving with a BCS bid grows smaller.

I don't buy the we have time until SU and Pitt leave. It's crunch time.

Recruiting will take a hit if it's not resolved by the end of the year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Should have been done years ago....

The whole thing legitimately bothers me of what could have been. Now, granted the BE doesn't expand most likely if Raid 1.0 doesn't happen, but it just seems with a little better managing we could have had some combination of the below conference. It's honestly almost painful to look at that. How did we let the ACC do this to us?

Football (12 teams)
Boston College
UConn
Rutgers
Syracuse
Pitt
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Cincy
Miami
TCU
USF

Basketball (6 teams)
Villanova
Georgetown
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Notre Dame

Reaction Score
True.

Don't think this will pass. 4 schools would have to vote NO.

Just a guess with the No votes....FB schools...UCONN, WVU, Rutgers, Cincy, and UL if they're on the call.

Isn't the vote just for FB schools?

Section205

Reaction Score
Sounds like all schools minus Cuse & Pitt of course.

Reaction Score
So if you need a 75% approval by members to make a change and if UL is a no show the are going to need the remaining 5 school to vote yes.

Odds on that happening? Who knows.

All I know is if this drags out the chance of the BE surviving with a BCS bid grows smaller.

I don't buy the we have time until SU and Pitt leave. It's crunch time.

Recruiting will take a hit if it's not resolved by the end of the year.

Reruiting will take a hit. But a bad year recruiting is not nearly as harmful as trying to solve this problem prematurely. We need to get the reshuffling right. We don't have 30 months to decide. But we certainly have more than one from the time SU and Pitt announced.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Don't see how it passes, which poses large problems for stabalizing what's left. Painful to watch the BE slowly bleeding out like this.

If it does pass, I wonder if Herbst and Pendergrast start hitting up large doners for a "get out of jail" piggy bank fund to avoid the huge PR mess of paying that fee to leave...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't see how it passes, which poses large problems for stabalizing what's left. Painful to watch the BE slowly bleeding out like this.

If it does pass, I wonder if Herbst and Pendergrast start hitting up large doners for a "get out of jail" piggy bank fund to avoid the huge PR mess of paying that fee to leave...
Is Marinate a big enough idiot to schedule the vote if he hasn't already lined up the votes?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Reruiting will take a hit. But a bad year recruiting is not nearly as harmful as trying to solve this problem prematurely. We need to get the reshuffling right. We don't have 30 months to decide. But we certainly have more than one from the time SU and Pitt announced.

BL - do you think we're stuck in a no win position at least in the short term?

Unless we commit to something of substance, the basketball schools (rightfully so) won't add any more schools.

I realize we have time here, and while many of us are antsy, we're going to eventually have to add 2 teams at minimum.

I suspect the football teams won't commit to anything unless they are positive they won't be getting an invite, but I could easily see ACC, Big10 etc. leading us on as it will only further weaken us and the Big East.

Just seems like a lot of losing scenarios all around.

Reaction Score
The vote is a league wide, all-member, one-resolution vote, so 11 of 14.

The exit penalty is 3X annual league tv revenue. So for football schools, estimated contract of $13-18 million per year, the penalty would be $39- 54 milion.

The bb schools are forcing it.

Reaction Score
The hoops schools are making Marinatto do it. This is an angler move, and the bait is about to get cut.

Reaction Score
Is Marinate a big enough idiot to schedule the vote it he hasn't already lined up the votes?
Well, probably not. At this stage, can you say "begging"?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East has been having this debate in public for weeks, and now they set a deadline, which I am sure will slip to next week. Louisville, WVU, Cincinnati, Rutgers and UConn are practically sending faxes to anyone that will listen that it will be hard to raid the league if they don't strike fast.

The football schools are trying to smoke out any interest from the other leagues. If there are no inbound phone calls from the ACC/Big 12 by next week, probably best for the 5 of them to sign the lockup and move on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CL82,

You are missing this, it's the beginning of the end. The BB schools and the prospective adds require this to move forward. The BE as we know it dies tomorrow. The 6 FB schools are own their own starting tomorrow. Best of luck to all our schools.
So are we saying, the hoops schools are saying do this or we leave? Oh and if we don't get our way, we'll leave? Is there a better way to guarantee a no vote?

Big question. IF they leave, can we bring in new conference members and negotiate a new contract?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Big East has been having this debate in public for weeks, and now they set a deadline, which I am sure will slip to next week. Louisville, WVU, Cincinnati, Rutgers and UConn are practically sending faxes to anyone that will listen that it will be hard to raid the league if they don't strike fast.

The football schools are trying to smoke out any interest from the other leagues. If there are no inbound phone calls from the ACC/Big 12 by next week, probably best for the 5 of them to sign the lockup and move on.

Nelson, are you assuming Louisville is leaving? Or just a typo (didn't see you include USF above).

Reaction Score
Ummm..it's the hoops schools forcing the issue. The only smoking going on is in your lava-lamp basement room.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There isn't a single football school that would agree to that exit penalty. You might as well make it a billion dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom