Big East Title Game Outrated ACC Title Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Title Game Outrated ACC Title Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Temple has a history of drawing well in basketball.. there on campus arena is bigger than Villanova. It's around the same size as Gampel.. As a full member of the Big East I think they'll do well at least as well as Pitt... I think as far as the Big East tournament goes.. the most noticeable difference will be Syracuse not being there.

Houston has potential and a bit more history than some of the other incoming programs... but you just can't compare them to any of the programs that are leaving.

Actually I kind of see Houston as the bellwether of the conference as a whole in both football and basketball. A big Texas school in a huge market with some history of success at high levels... they have the potential to really make the move to the next level...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn-Arizona in 2011: 7.4 rating.
Syracuse-Ohio State in 2012, same day, same timeslot, two "bigger programs" or so you would have thought...6.9 rating.

Proof, once again, that more people watch UConn than the ACC. :)

Reaction Score
UConn-Arizona in 2011: 7.4 rating.
Syracuse-Ohio State in 2012, same day, same timeslot, two "bigger programs" or so you would have thought...6.9 rating.

Proof, once again, that more people watch UConn than the ACC. :)

This link sez all the games combined were down on average 20%...I guess Tiger Woods affected it somewhat. Do you have a link for all the games? Comparing one year to the next is fool's gold. Cuse and Pitt played UNC-Asheville in the same slot on TruTV in back to back years but Cuse outdrew Pitt by 200%...ofcourse mostly due to the near upset.
http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/ncaa-regional-finals-ratings-take-a-tumble/9341/#more-9341

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Temple has a history of drawing well in basketball.. there on campus arena is bigger than Villanova. It's around the same size as Gampel.. As a full member of the Big East I think they'll do well at least as well as Pitt...

Tall order. You're saying Temple will win the most Big East games for the next ten years, as Pitt has for the last ten?

zls44

Reaction Score
UConn-Arizona outrated 3 of this year's four Elite 8 games.

Florida-Louisville was a 4.7, Florida-Butler last year was a 6.2 in the same slot.

Baylor-Kentucky was a 5.3, Kansas-VCU last year was a 7.5 in the same slot.

Kansas-UNC was a 7.8, UNC-Kentucky last year was a 9.8 in the same slot.

What hole was Tiger on at 9 PM Saturday night during the Syracuse game?

Reaction Score
UConn-Arizona outrated 3 of this year's four Elite 8 games.

Florida-Louisville was a 4.7, Florida-Butler last year was a 6.2 in the same slot.

Baylor-Kentucky was a 5.3, Kansas-VCU last year was a 7.5 in the same slot.

Kansas-UNC was a 7.8, UNC-Kentucky last year was a 9.8 in the same slot.

What hole was Tiger on at 9 PM Saturday night during the Syracuse game?

To me it looks like Cuse/tOSU actually did well compared to the other schools in 2012. 6.9 vs 7.4 rating was the smallest decrease.

zls44

Reaction Score
To me it looks like Cuse/tOSU actually did well compared to the other schools in 2012. 6.9 vs 7.4 rating was the smallest decrease.

Taking solace in having the smallest failure. Positively Boeheim-esque reasoning! :)

Reaction Score
Taking solace in having the smallest failure. Positively Boeheim-esque reasoning! :)

Don't be a homer...compare the numbers. Repeat teams were all down from '11 to '12. UConn perceived drawing power wasn't the reason.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
How do you know he wasn't saying Temple will win more NCAA games?

True. There is more than one way to define being/doing "as good/well as" someone or something else.

No matter how it's defined though, it will still be tough for any of the new schools to do as well as Pitt has done. Losing them is a big hit.

Reaction Score
You will miss 25k Cuse, 12k Pitt and WVU and replace that with Memphis 16K (good) and Temple 8k?, Houston is like 2k, SMU is like 1500 and UCF is around 6k.

I think the MSG tourney will be a level lower, still good but not quite the buzz. The good news is tix will be cheaper at MSG in 2014.

Honestly ... YOU don't know what the next Phase is going to be.

If you think that post-Boeheim or post-Calhoun is automatically going to bring more of the same, I can cite many of the royalty programs that have NOT had that experience. Only Kansas, frankly, has gone from one coach Program to another without much upset. I would not bet on Mike Hopkins as a worthy successor; nor would I feel great about whatever 2 year olds run at Saratoga. And, grabbing a Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart is great ... but, as we see from Illinois, it's not nearly as attractive as they think. And Maryland. (what's the 20 year track record of UCLA, UNLV, Arkansas, Michigan, Arizona? - to name just a few Programs that have been elite (National Champions PLUS a few more Final Fours).

So - 25k? Iffy. Syracuse is not going to support a 19-15 Program.

Pitt? I think what Jamie Dixon & Ben Howland accomplished is pretty impressive. But, I do think that it is Big East related. They are not going to draw New Jersey, Westchester & New England prep school kids as easy playing in North Carolina as playing around metro NYC.

Madison Square Garden? PLEASE ... SU is great if they are winning. I find, mostly anecdotal, that SU fans are the most likely to sell their tickets if SU loses. Not BE basketball/High Quality game fans - they want to see SU. And they head to strip joints once SU is out. MSG is special. We don't need no stinking one school. It works for a variety of reasons. One of which is Dinner in Manhattan between games for high-end client relations. That ain't happening in Tampa/Atlanta/Greensboro.

I am firmly of the belief that Syracuse is losing a lot ... by taking this marginal dollar increase. I understand it. I expect my alma mater (UConn) to make the same move if it is presented. But ... there is no certainty. You will be missed. But, don't go selling yourself on this is Easy Street. You'll miss everything that is Big East - particularly Basketball.

Reaction Score
I read that the entire tourney was down this year and that attendance is also down. It is a potetnial long term problem for the NCAA/CBS that some analysts are saying is related to the overall issues with the sport...NCAA penalties every where you look especially at marquee programs, the 1-and-done phenomonon that is making it pretty difficult to market the game...as soon as a guy gets known, he's gone even if he's a freshman. I mean,just look around the XL Center or even Gampel sometimes and see the empty seats...It is the same everywhere, even thoughout the ACC where attendance is so down they have a special taks force trying to figure out how to address it. Almost everyone is predicting this year's final four to be the lowest in a while. You can't have these teams that are essentially one year collections of all-stars and expect them to be particularly interesting over the long run.

Reaction Score
(Basketball)

1.60 to 1.52

Note that the ACC title game was shown both on ESPN and over-the-air via Raycom syndication in ACC markets, so the 1.52 figure only reflects those that watched the game on ESPN. The ACC title game audience was actually much larger - that ESPN figure is largely only taking into account people that watched the game *outside* of the ACC footprint.

Reaction Score
Reposting this because, well, because our board is running rampant with Cuse people (yes, i consider even one syracuse fan too many):

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/282123-responsive-documents.html#document/p1

UConn Is New York Clty's Team
In 2010-11, UConn Men's Basketball was the Most Viewed Big East Conference Team In New York City
  • A combined 1.35 million households watched UConn basketball games ln the New York DMA that were televised on ESPN or ESPN2. That number doubled the number of households watching Syracuse games on ESPN or ESPN2 and was five times more than the number of households that watched Rutgers on ESPN or ESPN2
  • The top two-rated Syracuse men's basketball games In the New York DMA in 2010-11 were in fact games against UConn
  • UConn's flve games In the BIG EAST tournament were watched by a combined 590,000
    households in the New York DMA, while 385,000 watched Syracuse games - a
    number which was inflated with one game against hometown St. John's
  • SNY (SportsNet New York) Recognizes The Popularity Of The UConn Brand
    SportsNet New York (SNY) is the New York home of the New York Mets and the BIG EAST Conference. Although they have relationships with Syracuse, Rutgers, Seton Hall and St. John's,the relationship is unique as, the network devotes over 300 programming hours a year to both UConn men's basketball and football. number of program hours is almost
    double the number of hours devoted to Rutgers programming and Syracuse receives only two-third of that amount of hours
  • In 2011-12, UConn will make 13 appearances on SNY, while Syracuse, Rutgers and St. John's will each make fewer than 10
UConn Domlnates New York, Madison Square Garden, and The BIG EAST Tournament
UConn has won seven BIG EAST Tournament Championships at Madison Square Garden - the most of any school.
  • Over the past ten years, UConn ls the only school to rank among the top two
    in tournament tickets purchased by their supporters. The other school paired with UConn have varied greatly over the years.
Although relatively new, UConn Football is popular in both New York and Boston.
In three of the last four years, UConn's national television rating of its bowl game has been
higher than the Rutgers bowl game -- including doubling the mark in 2007 and 2011.
  • ln a recent New York Times article, UConn was ranked ahead of Syracuse among the most
    popular college football teams In the New York DMA, and UConn was the only BIG EAST school listed among the top five most popular college football teams in-both the New York and Boston DMAs.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Tall order. You're saying Temple will win the most Big East games for the next ten years, as Pitt has for the last ten?
Nope. I was responding to a post about attendance and Big East tournament... I don't know how you can take me talking about the relative sizes of Gampel and the Liacouras center and then decided I'm talking about wins.

Reaction Score
Nope. I was responding to a post about attendance and Big East tournament... I don't know how you can take me talking about the relative sizes of Gampel and the Liacouras center and then decided I'm talking about wins.

You should have a good idea how well they'll travel to MSG this December...Temple is playing Cuse on Dec 22nd at MSG in the Gotham City Classic (whatever that is). I'll be impressed if they bring more than 2000 fans.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Reposting this because, well, because our board is running rampant with Cuse people (yes, i consider even one syracuse fan too many):

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/282123-responsive-documents.html#document/p1

UConn Is New York Clty's Team
In 2010-11, UConn Men's Basketball was the Most Viewed Big East Conference Team In New York City
  • A combined 1.35 million households watched UConn basketball games ln the New York DMA that were televised on ESPN or ESPN2. That number doubled the number of households watching Syracuse games on ESPN or ESPN2 and was five times more than the number of households that watched Rutgers on ESPN or ESPN2
  • The top two-rated Syracuse men's basketball games In the New York DMA in 2010-11 were in fact games against UConn
  • UConn's flve games In the BIG EAST tournament were watched by a combined 590,000
    households in the New York DMA, while 385,000 watched Syracuse games - a
    number which was inflated with one game against hometown St. John's
  • SNY (SportsNet New York) Recognizes The Popularity Of The UConn Brand
    SportsNet New York (SNY) is the New York home of the New York Mets and the BIG EAST Conference. Although they have relationships with Syracuse, Rutgers, Seton Hall and St. John's,the relationship is unique as, the network devotes over 300 programming hours a year to both UConn men's basketball and football. number of program hours is almost
    double the number of hours devoted to Rutgers programming and Syracuse receives only two-third of that amount of hours
  • In 2011-12, UConn will make 13 appearances on SNY, while Syracuse, Rutgers and St. John's will each make fewer than 10
UConn Domlnates New York, Madison Square Garden, and The BIG EAST Tournament

UConn has won seven BIG EAST Tournament Championships at Madison Square Garden - the most of any school.
  • Over the past ten years, UConn ls the only school to rank among the top two
    in tournament tickets purchased by their supporters. The other school paired with UConn have varied greatly over the years.
Although relatively new, UConn Football is popular in both New York and Boston.

In three of the last four years, UConn's national television rating of its bowl game has been
higher than the Rutgers bowl game -- including doubling the mark in 2007 and 2011.
  • ln a recent New York Times article, UConn was ranked ahead of Syracuse among the most
    popular college football teams In the New York DMA, and UConn was the only BIG EAST school listed among the top five most popular college football teams in-both the New York and Boston DMAs.

god i love reading that and thinking where we will be another 5 years of fanbase building...the acc really swung and missed for nyc as i still say. for the % that watches college sports, its
-nd fball
-psu fball
-uconn bball
-ruty/uconn fball
-cuse sports
-pitt/bc sports and ruty bball

if they want nyc, its a 18 team eastern league(with nd/psu) otherwise they are kidding themselves. things have been so quiet up in b10 land i can't wait for them to look and see that they have the potential to grab the top 5 views in nyc. all those tvs with the network ='s payday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom