zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
(Basketball)

1.60 to 1.52

Reaction Score
(Basketball)

1.60 to 1.52
Somewhat shocking to me as neither Louisville nor Cincy are the biggest draws (although Louisville is a good one), and the ACC had UNC.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
It was a smart move by the Big East when they moved up the championship game to Saturday night.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was a smart move by the Big East when they moved up the championship game to Saturday night.

That is the key. Louisville is a pretty big draw, even of Cincy is not.

Reaction Score
So what? We are still the best basketball conference for the time being. Next year when Pitt and Syracuse leave, I'm willing to be this will be different.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So what? We are still the best basketball conference for the time being. Next year when Pitt and Syracuse leave, I'm willing to be this will be different.

Remind me which one of them was in the game Saturday night?

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter, we still have the stigma as the best bball conference. Did you watch the game? I did, because it was the Big East Championship and the Big East is the best basketball conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is it a stigma to be the best basketball conference? Did you go to UConn?

Temple and Memphis are pretty good basketball programs, and Houston should be. Pitt will suffer without New York, Syracuse has a late-60's coach buffeted by scandals, and WVU has an aging coach with health issues and a drinking problem. Which one of them is an up and coming program? Which one has a natural recruiting area that they dominate that anyone else cares about?

Unless Louisville or UConn leaves, the Big East will always be the best basketball conference.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately from a tv perspective, being the best basketball conference is like being the best typewriter manufacturer.

Reaction Score
Is it a stigma to be the best basketball conference? Did you go to UConn?

Temple and Memphis are pretty good basketball programs, and Houston should be. Pitt will suffer without New York, Syracuse has a late-60's coach buffeted by scandals, and WVU has an aging coach with health issues and a drinking problem. Which one of them is an up and coming program? Which one has a natural recruiting area that they dominate that anyone else cares about?

Unless Louisville or UConn leaves, the Big East will always be the best basketball conference.

Our own coach is no spring chicken, which means we're going to need a new coach eventually.......but I agree. It's very nice for me, at least, to see that the conference is actually committed now to football as well, rather than treating football like an unwanted necessity to maintain basketball.

That's the stigma that the Big East has earned over the years as a basketball conference. It will take a while, and as many big football wins as possible, to shed it.

Reaction Score

First, yes I did go to UConn, undergrad and grad degrees.
Secondly, we have a 70 year old coach, so there goes your argument that because the other programs have older/unhealthy coaches they will struggle in the future. Our future is as uncertain as theirs. Louisville has a coach who has already announced his retirement in 5 years, how will they do after Pitino is gone? The point I'm making is that no one's future is certain, but I would take a future with Duke, Maryland and UNC over one with Temple and Memphis.

And yes, it has been a stigma to be a basketball conference, as evidenced by EVERY SINGLE FOOTBALL PROGRAM trying to leave.

Reaction Score
First, yes I did go to UConn, undergrad and grad degrees.
Secondly, we have a 70 year old coach, so there goes your argument that because the other programs have older/unhealthy coaches they will struggle in the future. Our future is as uncertain as theirs. Louisville has a coach who has already announced his retirement in 5 years, how will they do after Pitino is gone? The point I'm making is that no one's future is certain, but I would take a future with Duke, Maryland and UNC over one with Temple and Memphis.

And yes, it has been a stigma to be a basketball conference, as evidenced by EVERY SINGLE FOOTBALL PROGRAM trying to leave.

With Temple and Memphis coming in, BE will still be the best basketball conference in the country. ACC will always be UNC and Duke. SU will play second fiddle to them now that they are in the ACC. Pitt will just waste away. Pitt style of basketball won't thrive in the ACC. SU will find out what home cooking is all about with everything played in Greensboro. Did you see the ACC tournament? It is like an UNC home game.

Reaction Score
I don't want to turn this into a me bashing the Big East or something thread, but I completely disagree with you. Why will Syracuse play second fiddle? Why wouldn't they be able to contend? How do we know that Pitt won't begin recruiting different types of players rather than the bruisers when they are in a secure conference? Just saying something is going to happen will not make it true.
And btw, have you ever been to the Big East Tournament? It's like a Syracuse home game, especially in years that they are good.

Reaction Score
the problem with being in the best basketball conference is that for tv purposes it is comparable to being the best typewriter manufacturer. You'll do better than the 2nd best basketball conference maybe, but not better than any conference that has a better reputation in football.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Correct. Perception=reality. And unfortunately the perception is the BE and the NNBE especially, sucks.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Don't know what you mean by that, but I had the best time of my life in the many years I spent in Storrs.

Thats the problem. You'd hope a UCONN grad would know the definition of "stigma".

Reaction Score
Thats the problem. You'd hope a UCONN grad would know the definition of "stigma".
I'm quite aware of what a stigma is. Thanks chief. As several posters said after me, what has been the benefit of being known as the best bball conference? It's done nothing but lose us founding members and become a laughing stock of a conference.
As a UConn grad, I hope for better for UConn, but am also a realist and there is a zero percent chance the NNBE is going to be on par as a basketball conference with what we were prior to this years departures.
You can go ahead and attempt to attack the intelligence of someone you have never met on a message board, all that is proves is that you are a petty bag with little better to do. Sad existence pal.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I'm quite aware of what a stigma is. Thanks chief. As several posters said after me, what has been the benefit of being known as the best bball conference? It's done nothing but lose us founding members and become a laughing stock of a conference.
As a UConn grad, I hope for better for UConn, but am also a realist and there is a zero percent chance the NNBE is going to be on par as a basketball conference with what we were prior to this years departures.
You can go ahead and attempt to attack the intelligence of someone you have never met on a message board, all that is proves is that you are a petty bag with little better to do. Sad existence pal.

That wouldn't be indicated by your earlier post. You would be shocked at what a sad existence I have....Chief.

Reaction Score
I like the posts trying to downplay how good Syracuse is and trying to play up Memphis and in come cases Houston (???). Temple is a good basketball school. Memphis was awesome when Calipari was there. Without him they're still ok.

But there's no doubt this is a net loss. Syracuse is better than Temple and Pitt and Memphis is at best a push. And Houston has not been relevant since the 1980s. Which means West Virginia easily brings more to the table. The conference will still be good, but it will be diificult to still be considered the best.

Reaction Score

Don't be so sure. Pitt is on the decline and Cuse could be in a little bit of trouble. The question is how will they compare to the rest of the ACC. Part of me wants to see them fail, but another part of me wants to see them 1/2 in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Don't be so sure. Pitt is on the decline and Cuse could be in a little bit of trouble. The question is how will they compare to the rest of the ACC. Part of me wants to see them fail, but another part of me wants to see them 1/2 in the ACC.
Pitt has a down year and they are "on the decline"? Gimme a break. We must have been on the decline in 2010, 2012, and if we can't go to the tourny next year, we are definitely on the decline. Pitt has been a good school for a number of years, I'm sad to see them and Cuse go.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Big East will still be a good basketball conference. Losing Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia is just going to bring it back to the pack. We lost a lot at the top and added some garbage to the bottom, but Temple and Memphis are solid top 25 programs.

The on field football product should be about the same, but this is college football, nothing that happens on the field actually matters. That is where the NNBE will be the most hurt.

Reaction Score
You will miss 25k Cuse, 12k Pitt and WVU and replace that with Memphis 16K (good) and Temple 8k?, Houston is like 2k, SMU is like 1500 and UCF is around 6k.

I think the MSG tourney will be a level lower, still good but not quite the buzz. The good news is tix will be cheaper at MSG in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom