Big East teams ascending | The Boneyard

Big East teams ascending

Reaction Score
With the conference realignment many wrote off the Big East and basically thought teams like Seton Hall and Providence would fall even further into irrelevancy. Seton Hall just punched their ticket today to make it their 4th straight NCAA tournament and Providence made 5 straight before this season. These were two programs who were in a decade drought of not making the tournament.

Call it what you want but no programs have benefited and stepped up their games more than those two programs when many claimed big basketball games were over for them. We all know how Nova benefited but these two other northeast programs have seen their fortunes change tremendously.

I still love watching the Big East and root for northeast basketball.

Reaction Score
would we have made the tourney this year and last if we were in the Big East?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
With the conference realignment many wrote off the Big East and basically thought teams like Seton Hall and Providence would fall even further into irrelevancy. Seton Hall just punched their ticket today to make it their 4th straight NCAA tournament and Providence made 5 straight before this season. These were two programs who were in a decade drought of not making the tournament.

Call it what you want but no programs have benefited and stepped up their games more than those two programs when many claimed big basketball games were over for them. We all know how Nova benefited but these two other northeast programs have seen their fortunes change tremendously.

I still love watching the Big East and root for northeast basketball.

Good programs with good fanbases.

I’m going to the Garden for the quarters.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when UConn, Cuse, Pitt, WV, and Louisville aren’t around anymore.
The programs improved dramatically though and adding Xavier, Butler, and Creighton ensured the league would not only last but would succeed going forward. DePaul even seems to be on the upswing and there are no easy wins which can't be said about the AAC. They also know exactly who they are right now, which also can't be said for the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's one of the things I miss about living close to the city. Big East tournament is my favorite sporting event, also love the US Open in Flushing.

Agreed I usually hit one of the first couple of days at the Open. Amazing matches on the backcourts that you are 5 feet from.

Reaction Score
would we have made the tourney this year and last if we were in the Big East?

Maybe, maybe not but I would be paying way more attention to the conference as a whole and watch more games than I have since we went to the AAC. I couldnt careless about other AAC games. Watching Nova vs Seton Hall with Gus Johnson just makes me miss it more

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not but I would be paying way more attention to the conference as a whole and watch more games than I have since we went to the AAC. I couldnt careless about other AAC games. Watching Nova vs Seton Hall with Gus Johnson just makes me miss it more

You're not wrong, but just go with 'no' for accuracy's sake.

Reaction Score
And G'Town just put themselves squarely on the bubble knocking off Marquette. Ewing is blessed with Akinjo and McClung, they had 21 of G'Towns last 26 points. Akinjo finishing with 25 pts and McClung with 23.

Another awesome game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And G'Town just put themselves squarely on the bubble knocking off Marquette. Ewing is blessed with Akinjo and McClung, they had 21 of G'Towns last 26 points. Akinjo finishing with 25 pts and McClung with 23.

Another awesome game.

If the Big East found their way on ESPN they would be much better off.

Reaction Score
If the Big East found their way on ESPN they would be much better off.
I dont care if they are playing on FOX Sports, ESPN, or Nickelodean, the Big East will always be a competitive league. They have schools with long basketball history, they still have a footprint in great basketball cities (NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago), and they currently have good coaches and it wont be hard for those schools to hire good ones down the road as well.

Reaction Score

Another awesome game.
Great win for them, but not sure this puts them even close to the bubble discussion. Prior to the game their NET was 80, and their non-conference schedule was 241, which includes a home loss to SMU. Think they will need to win the BET tournament to get in.

Reaction Score
I don't really see St. Johns as a lock at this point..........have lost 4 of last 5 & played a lousy non-conf schedule. They have the most meaningless 20 win season out of anyone

They are hanging their hats on beating Marquette twice & Nova once but were 0-6 against DePaul, Providence & Xavier...........wtf. They better plan on winning a couple of games at least at MSG.

Reaction Score
Great win for them, but not sure this puts them even close to the bubble discussion. Prior to the game their NET was 80, and their non-conference schedule was 241, which includes a home loss to SMU. Think they will need to win the BET tournament to get in.
Yep, you're probably right but I find it hard to believe the Big East will only get 3 teams. The whole conference is nearly on equal footing, first league since 2005 to have every team with a winning record.

Reaction Score
I don't really see St. Johns as a lock at this point.....have lost 4 of last 5 & played a lousy non-conf schedule. They have the most meaningless 20 win season out of anyone

They are hanging their hats on beating Marquette twice & Nova once but were 0-6 against DePaul, Providence & Xavier......wtf. They better plan on winning a couple of games at least at MSG.

Sj's will lose on Wednesday in the conference tourney and be in the Nit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom