Big East Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Strongly worded letter - check
Next we start a petition!
GOB.gif

Reaction Score
I think the whole thing is dumb and the big east teams didn't deserve to be in. But this is not even a strongly worded letter.

Kinda surprised. We all know you love analytics. Thought you would have supported St. John’s getting in.

Personally, I think Seton Hall deserved it the most. Hard to fathom finishing 4th in conference with the in conference wins they had not being enough.

Reaction Score
I think the whole thing is dumb and the big east teams didn't deserve to be in. But this is not even a strongly worded letter.
You can make a case for them being in or out, but there is absolutely no way Michigan State or Virginia deserved to be in the field either then. Providence has more Q1 wins than MSU and UVA combined.

Reaction Score
Kinda surprised. We all know you love analytics. Thought you would have supported St. John’s getting in.

Personally, I think Seton Hall deserved it the most. Hard to fathom finishing 4th in conference with the in conference wins they had not being enough.
He thinks the committee did an amazing job.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
Seton Hall based on the body of work angle the POS PHD kept on quoting would suggest that Seton Hall should be in. They won 13 games and they get hosed. After the tournament the NCAA should be investigated for how they made their decisions.

Hopefully their time on this earth is limited.

They are not needed they are clearly corrupt.

There is only one explanation I will accept.

Uconn is just so good the only way they could keep the tournament competitive is to hand pick the teams that could,if they played their best game, give UConn a game. It’s funny they used the one metric KenPom that they act like does not exist to help them pick the most challenging bracket for UConn. Since they clearly did not have the knowledge to figure that out on their own.

I have not been this angry about UConn’s bracket and seeding since they put us in the same bracket as UCLA.

The anger is being tempered by the fact that although the joke committee gave UConn by far the most difficult bracket to traverse, everyone is still picking UConn. They couldn’t even cheat correctly. Must be a proud group sipping their expensive single malts.

Reaction Score
That letter felt like the end of Dune Part 1... I scrolled looking for more. Where was the strongly worded part?!

Reaction Score
Shall soundly beat the best team in the country, not many teams can say they took out one of the top seeds, and had 13 wins in the BE, no way they should have been left out. Clearly a tournament team.

Reaction Score
He thinks the committee did an amazing job.
I think the committee did what they usually do. They mostly ignored conference tournaments especially Sunday (which screwed us), they selected at the bubble based on resume metrics and Q1+Q2 record with a dash of predictives if a team was ranked too high to exclude, and they followed the bracketing principles when seeding.

There's a reason only 1/3 of the brackets on Bracket Matrix had any other Big East teams in. This was the expected outcome for the majority of people, not a shocker. It was a strong bubble, there were ~5 bid thieves, and none of the Big East bubble teams were closer than 2 games under .500 in the first 2 quads. Still, if UNC and Colorado win, Seton Hall is in the field.
You can make a case for them being in or out, but there is absolutely no way Michigan State or Virginia deserved to be in the field either then. Providence has more Q1 wins than MSU and UVA combined.
Providence had a lot of Q1 wins, but still a losing Q1 record by 3 games (6-9), so it's not as strong a strength as you'd think. They weren't Texas A&M whose Q1 record did offset the rest of the warts. The resume metrics didn't like them because 11 of Providence's 21 wins came in Q4 and they had a combined losing record in the rest of the quads. Where Providence was 10-13 in the first 3 quads (9-12 in first 2), Virginia was 17-10 (10-10 first 2). Thus, the resume metrics like Virginia. The committee likes resume metrics. The committee liked Virginia.

Michigan State had St. John's resume, only better. (Higher predictives, essentially equally crappy Q1 record, but with no bad losses). So if you're going to go beyond the resume metrics and not leave out a high KenPom team, you're going to pick them instead of the Johnnies. The KPI really screwed St. John's.

Seton Hall couldn't get out of their own way. They got blown out by more than 12 points 7 times this year and crapped the bed in the non-conf which killed their (you guessed it) resume metrics. The margin of leaving them out was slim, and the Kadary Richmond "injury" probably cost them a bid by losing that game to Providence at home.

Reaction Score
I think the committee did what they usually do. They mostly ignored conference tournaments especially Sunday (which screwed us), they selected at the bubble based on resume metrics and Q1+Q2 record with a dash of predictives if a team was ranked too high to exclude, and they followed the bracketing principles when seeding.

There's a reason only 1/3 of the brackets on Bracket Matrix had any other Big East teams in. This was the expected outcome for the majority of people, not a shocker. It was a strong bubble, there were ~5 bid thieves, and none of the Big East bubble teams were closer than 2 games under .500 in the first 2 quads. Still, if UNC and Colorado win, Seton Hall is in the field.

Providence had a lot of Q1 wins, but still a losing Q1 record by 3 games (6-9), so it's not as strong a strength as you'd think. They weren't Texas A&M whose Q1 record did offset the rest of the warts. The resume metrics didn't like them because 11 of Providence's 21 wins came in Q4 and they had a combined losing record in the rest of the quads. Where Providence was 10-13 in the first 3 quads (9-12 in first 2), Virginia was 17-10 (10-10 first 2). Thus, the resume metrics like Virginia. The committee likes resume metrics. The committee liked Virginia.

Michigan State had St. John's resume, only better. (Higher predictives, essentially equally crappy Q1 record, but with no bad losses). So if you're going to go beyond the resume metrics and not leave out a high KenPom team, you're going to pick them instead of the Johnnies. The KPI really screwed St. John's.

Seton Hall couldn't get out of their own way. They got blown out by more than 12 points 7 times this year and crapped the bed in the non-conf which killed their (you guessed it) resume metrics. The margin of leaving them out was slim, and the Kadary Richmond "injury" probably cost them a bid by losing that game to Providence at home.
Good explanations.
I still think the BE got a little hosed. Having 3 Top 3 seeds in your league would create almost 6 losses for any conference mate.
But ultimately, if these schools did better OOC, they would be dancing.

Time to focus on the three that are dancing and watch them all get to FF.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

How do we distinguish this analysis from not being post hoc rationalization.

Who to choose between St. John’s and Seton Hall, if it came down to them? The answer depends on what you choose to emphasize. If there is consistency, then no complaint. The post hoc justification for choosing MSU over St. John’s could also be used for choosing St. John’s over Virginia. Multiple criteria were applied in an inconsistent way that disadvantaged the BE most.

Reaction Score
Screw job by any measure. A mildly worded letter of concern surely shook them up.

Reaction Score
I wish they would have put St. John's or the Hall in over Virginia. Needed one representative from that tier of the league

Reaction Score
A-I will render the committee obsolete in a few years anyway. Until then you may as well have Vegas decide the bubble team selections, eg who would be favored in a neutral court game between SJU & MSU or SHU & UVA, etc.

Reaction Score
How do we distinguish this analysis from not being post hoc rationalization.

Who to choose between St. John’s and Seton Hall, if it came down to them? The answer depends on what you choose to emphasize. If there is consistency, then no complaint. The post hoc justification for choosing MSU over St. John’s could also be used for choosing St. John’s over Virginia. Multiple criteria were applied in an inconsistent way that disadvantaged the BE most.
They pick the criteria after the fact solely to be able say why the believe it was the right decision. They had these schools ahead of BE schools because they wanted them there. Once that was decided, the built a reason to justify it.
I mean it's simple to prove it's not post hoc. They're consistent with the criteria they favor year after year. The consensus BracketMatrix got 67 of 68 teams right, only swapping Virginia and Oklahoma, whom the committee listed as literally their first team out. The committee's First Four Out were Bracket Matrix's last team in plus 3 of their 4 top receiving votes.

The committee is not some impenetrable random machine. We pretty much know exactly what they're going to do and why. There's a small amount of debate at the fringe, but generally the numbers are the numbers. But people usually just see 1 argument for a team and then try and apply that to a different team and ask why they're not in? Well the rest of their resume isn't as good in other areas.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall based on the body of work angle the POS PHD kept on quoting would suggest that Seton Hall should be in. They won 13 games and they get hosed. After the tournament the NCAA should be investigated for how they made their decisions.

Hopefully their time on this earth is limited.

They are not needed they are clearly corrupt.

There is only one explanation I will accept.

Uconn is just so good the only way they could keep the tournament competitive is to hand pick the teams that could,if they played their best game, give UConn a game. It’s funny they used the one metric KenPom that they act like does not exist to help them pick the most challenging bracket for UConn. Since they clearly did not have the knowledge to figure that out on their own.

I have not been this angry about UConn’s bracket and seeding since they put us in the same bracket as UCLA.

The anger is being tempered by the fact that although the joke committee gave UConn by far the most difficult bracket to traverse, everyone is still picking UConn. They couldn’t even cheat correctly. Must be a proud group sipping their expensive single malts.
Any time I try to take seriously the narrative that the Big East got screwed, I realize the type of people who believe that also hope the people on the tournament committee die young because they put MSU and Virginia in over a Big East team. Just so much thoughtfulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom