Big East Standings | The Boneyard

Big East Standings

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Other than Providence’s fluky season, they really are about what you might’ve predicted at the start of the year:

DA36339C-E4B7-4D89-B5B8-C2D6B2B0D5E0.jpeg

I would’ve had Seton Hall a little higher and Marquette a little lower.

We have five ranked teams in two more who are potential tournaments bubble teams. It is a very solid year for the conference.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Yep, phenomenal year for the conference. With the exception of Georgetown who hasn’t won a game in 2 months. Have to think this is Ewing’s last year.

Reaction Score
Butler should have won at Creighton last night...so many chances to pull ahead and blew the final possession.

Yeah not many nights you can be asleep at the wheel in the BE this year.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Yep, phenomenal year for the conference. With the exception of Georgetown who hasn’t won a game in 2 months. Have to think this is Ewing’s last year.
I hope they give Ewing one more year. He did win the BE tournament last year and has a very young team with potential. Unless they get hit hard by transfers in the off season I hope they give him another year. I don’t think he is s bad coach. Just needs to keep his players from transferring.

Reaction Score
Other than Providence’s fluky season, they really are about what you might’ve predicted at the start of the year:

View attachment 73131

We have five ranked teams in two more who are potential tournaments bubble teams. It is a very solid year for the conference.
How is this gonna work if providence wins the conference and plays 2 less away games than everyone else?? Against the 5th and 6th placed teams no less. They haven’t played Villanova yet, caught us short handed without our best player and split with Marquette. The top 3 teams in the league besides them. If they end like 13-4 or 12-5 and we end 13-6 do they deserve to be champion? How is it they couldn’t find anyway to make up 3 games. Seems super suss.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is this gonna work if providence wins the conference and plays 2 less away games than everyone else?? Against the 5th and 6th placed teams no less. They haven’t played Villanova yet, caught us short handed without our best player and split with Marquette. The top 3 teams in the league besides them. If they end like 13-4 or 12-5 and we end 13-6 do they deserve to be champion? How is it they couldn’t find anyway to make up 3 games. Seems super suss.
I don’t know the answer but I think it will just be decided by winning percentage. Remember Providence isn’t refusing to play us per se, league rules prevent us from rescheduling.

Reaction Score
i think this is as good top to bottom as we can reasonably expect of the BE any given year. would be nice if us or nova were final 4 contenders tho.

Reaction Score
I don’t know the answer but I think it will just be decided by winning percentage. Remember Providence isn’t refusing to play us per se, league rules prevent us from rescheduling.
I find it hard to believe they couldn’t find anytime to make up 3 games…..we did. Seems like they saw 2 away games and a game vs us and we’re like F it. 3 tough games… no thanks.

Reaction Score
I hope they give Ewing one more year. He did win the BE tournament last year and has a very young team with potential. Unless they get hit hard by transfers in the off season I hope they give him another year. I don’t think he is s bad coach. Just needs to keep his players from transferring.
Ewing needs to be let go after this year, then maybe a sharpshooting freshman guard named Denver Anglin can find his way to Storrs next year

Reaction Score
The cream will rise to the top in the BET.

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe they couldn’t find anytime to make up 3 games…..we did. Seems like they saw 2 away games and a game vs us and we’re like F it. 3 tough games… no thanks.
I don't know the details of the rules but the Big East has something in place that says teams aren't allowed to play three games in the same week for back to back weeks.

Going back to when the game was first postponed I know fans on twitter were trying to do the math to figure out when the game would be rescheduled and no one could find a date that would abide by that ruling.

I don't think Providence was too upset that they couldn't reschedule, but it actually was impossible to find a date given the parameters the league set going into the season.

Reaction Score
Ewing needs to be let go after this year, then maybe a sharpshooting freshman guard named Denver Anglin can find his way to Storrs next year
We don’t need a freshman guard with Diggins here and castle coming the year after. We need a vet grad transfer guard. We’ll take the Muhammad kid though

Reaction Score

View attachment 73131

Nobody could have foreseen Marquette's success in year one of Shaka with only three (3) returning players. (Over-performed)

Seton Hall's record is somewhat deceptive. They lost several games while being depleted by Covid. Their victories over Texas, at Michigan (I know...talented but bad this year), and vs UConn are nice. (Verdict still out)

Butler. Kudos to Boneyarders who didn't buy into the "lots of seniors and fifth year returnees.". I fell for this, and thought they had a chance to be 6th or 7th in the league. Truth be told, they're just not good, and their coach probably needs to go. (Under-performed my expectations)

Providence. Wow, the power of great team chemistry. Still, in a recent interview Ken Pomeroy stands by his weak ranking of the friars, and believes they will be knocked out of the tournament early. (Over-performed)

Mostly Meeting expectations: UConn, Nova, Xavier, Creighton (slightly better than I thought, however, given the youth...props to Coach McDermott), DePaul, Georgetown. St John's slightly under-performed given Posh and Champagnie. But they had a tremendous amount of turnover.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If the BE and PC really wanted to make up the games, they would find a way. I don't blame PC for ducking, I'd be scared of Sanogo too.....

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We need to find a way to get the 3 seed. Playing in the 4/5 matchup is bad because we are playing a rested team and likely have to face the top seed in the semis. If we are the 3 seed, we might get lucky like last year and get to play the 11 seed in the quarters.

Reaction Score
The sky would be falling if UCONN lost last night. Sitting at 6-5, to be unranked, and the Big East looking at 4 bids. Now lets see if UCONN can build on this.

Reaction Score
We need to find a way to get the 3 seed. Playing in the 4/5 matchup is bad because we are playing a rested team and likely have to face the top seed in the semis. If we are the 3 seed, we might get lucky like last year and get to play the 11 seed in the quarters.
I break down the conference tiers like this..

Tier 1 (Top 25 teams) - Nova / Providence / UConn / Marquette
Tier 2 (25-50 teams) - Xavier / Seton Hall
Tier 3 (50-75 teams)- Creighton / St. John's
Tier 4 (75-100 teams) -
Tier 5 (100-150 teams) - Depaul / Butler
Tier 6 (150-200 teams) -
Tier 7 (200+ teams) - Georgetown

Those bottom 3 teams are a lot worse than the rest of the conference. But they're going to be playing the #6-8 teams in the first round, so likely won't win, since there's a pretty big gulf between them. Which means we'll be playing someone from tier 2 or 3 right away in our first non-bye game pretty much no matter what seed we end up with, as long as it's top 5.

I do think the tier 2 teams are really like tier 1b teams when healthy (more in the 20-35 range than 35-50), so we'd like to avoid either of them and play a tier 3 team. We'll need to either finish 1st to get St John's or match up in the standings with Creighton. It'll be tough to catch Providence without another head to head match, so St. John's is probably out. Right now Creighton is ahead of Seton Hall, but Aiken will likely be back sometime soon and I expect Seton Hall to eventually pass them, so then we'd need to be 2nd. But if Creighton does finish ahead, then 3rd might be the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you gonna really consider yourself champion if you win and play 3 less very tough games than everyone else??? Especially if you win by a game or 2??

Reaction Score
Are you gonna really consider yourself champion if you win and play 3 less very tough games than everyone else??? Especially if you win by a game or 2??
Villanova might be the only one with a beef here based on number of games played in conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He would be a problem for them, but you are correct. This is easily PCs most important home gate game of the season. I would be there, so beer sales would be up. They will face the music in the tournament anyway, like every team. BET is going to be lit.

Side note: it seems weird to me that you are in the PNW and I'm 25 minutes from Providence.

Reaction Score
i think this is as good top to bottom as we can reasonably expect of the BE any given year. would be nice if us or nova were final 4 contenders tho.
There's a lot of parity and a lot of tournament teams...As you allude to no really great teams though this season. Just three tournaments ago Nova and Xavier were #2 and #3 in the country, both got #1 seeds and Nova won the whole thing with 6 teams getting in. The Covid tournament shutdown year they would've had 7 bids and the league has gotten 7 bids before without UConn. It's just a great basketball league and will be year in year out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom