Big East Regular Season Title Outlook | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Regular Season Title Outlook

Reaction Score
9 games left that matter for BET solo title/1 seed (even for tiebreakers I believe). Only UConn, Marquette, or Seton Hall can be the 1 now. 512 possible game result permutations.

Wed Feb 28
-Creighton/Seton Hall
-Marquette/Providence
Sat Mar 2
-Creighton/Marquette
Sun Mar 3
-UConn/Seton Hall
Wed Mar 6
-Marquette/UConn
-Seton Hall/Villanova
Sat Mar 9
-Seton Hall/DePaul
-Xavier/Marquette
-Providence/UConn
  • 1 win by UConn or 1 loss by them eliminates Seton Hall (can do both next weekend if need be).
  • 2 wins by UConn or 1 win by UConn and 1 loss by them (can do both next Wed) or 2 losses by them eliminates Marquette.
  • 2 games still to be played in the group of teams, but neither Hall or Marq can survive losing to UConn, so for the purposes of tiebreak by necessity we would either be 1-1 with Marquette or 0-2 with Seton Hall (and they are 1-1 with each other). We would lose tiebreak with Hall head to head and tiebreak with Marq we would lose eventually to record against Hall or Creighton in every scenario I could generate.
    • Seton Hall would win a 3-way tiebreak between the teams at 15-5 by way of 3-1 record in group (Marq #2, UConn #3).
So post-Villanova win, if we beat Marquette we clinch sole 1st no matter what. If we end up tied with anybody, we lose the tiebreaker. This all boils down to we need either the Marquette win, or some combo of 2 wins+Marquette losses (and if it's 2 Marq losses and we lose 3 we need a Hall loss as well).

The earliest we can clinch BET 1 seed is Sat the 2nd if Seton Hall and Creighton lose all 3 of their games on 28th/2nd.
With Seton Hall's loss, they are eliminated from 1 seed contention. Creighton also now has the tiebreak over them for the 3rd seed.

Marquette's win means we did not get any closer to clinching. The earliest we can clinch now is Sunday if Marquette loses at Creighton and we win.

Reaction Score
With Seton Hall's loss, they are eliminated from 1 seed contention. Creighton also now has the tiebreak over them for the 3rd seed.

Marquette's win means we did not get any closer to clinching. The earliest we can clinch now is Sunday if Marquette loses at Creighton and we win.
So in the matter of around 12 days we are bitter about losing at Creighton to now being Creighton fans. The wild mood swings of college basketball fandom at it's finest.

Reaction Score
In a scenario where Marquette beats Creighton Saturday and we take care of business at home Sunday do you think the league would still present the Big East Reg season champ trophy at Gampel seeing as UConn would at the very least own a share of the title? Marquette would still have to win out (which includes a game against UConn Wednesday) to get a share of the reg season title if we beat SH Sunday. I know I've seen other conferences do that in the past just can't remember how the Big east handles it.

Reaction Score
In a scenario where Marquette beats Creighton Saturday and we take care of business at home Sunday do you think the league would still present the Big East Reg season champ trophy at Gampel seeing as UConn would at the very least own a share of the title? Marquette would still have to win out (which includes a game against UConn Wednesday) to get a share of the reg season title if we beat SH Sunday. I know I've seen other conferences do that in the past just can't remember how the Big east handles it.
UConn would not have a share of the league title at that point. Losing the last 2 on the road would put us at 15-5 and Marquette could be 16-4.

If Creighton beats Marquette and we win, then yeah we'd have a share of the title.

Reaction Score
UConn would not have a share of the league title at that point. Losing the last 2 on the road would put us at 15-5 and Marquette could be 16-4.

If Creighton beats Marquette and we win, then yeah we'd have a share of the title.
No thats incorrect. If UConn beats Seton Hall Sunday we'd be 16-2 so that would guarantee them a share of the title. They are 15-2 today

Reaction Score
No thats incorrect. If UConn beats Seton Hall Sunday we'd be 16-2 so that would guarantee them a share of the title. They are 15-2 today
Sorry, not sure what I was looking at. Conflating the overall losses probably. (We would lose the 1 seed tiebreaker if both teams were 16-4 though).

Reaction Score
Sorry, not sure what I was looking at. Conflating the overall losses probably. (We would lose the 1 seed tiebreaker if both teams were 16-4 though).
Right but the tie breaker is only for BET purposes only. Obviously I want them to bury Marquette on the 6th, was just hoping to witness the league present the regular season championship trophy at Gampel on Sunday no matter the outcome of the Creighton/Marquette game Saturday.

Reaction Score
The silver lining us is that UConn v Marquette is more hyped if Marquette beats Creighton. So if Creighton wins Huskies can lock up the BE earlier, if Marquette wins we get to compete in & watch an even more hyped tournament pressure type road game next Wednesday night.

Reaction Score
Creighton has a shot at getting 2 seed in the ncaat if they keep winning right? I assume a win vs Marquette bumps them into the top 10. Imagine being a 3 or 4 in conference and a potential 2 with Marquette (who can still vie for a 1) in the tournament. We are the definition of top heavy. But good top heavy. 3 with a 2 seed or better?

Reaction Score
Creighton has a shot at getting 2 seed in the ncaat if they keep winning right? I assume a win vs Marquette bumps them into the top 10. Imagine being a 3 or 4 in conference and a potential 2 with Marquette (who can still vie for a 1) in the tournament. We are the definition of top heavy. But good top heavy. 3 with a 2 seed or better?
I guess if they were to win out it's possible, but it's highly unlikely. They weren't even a top 4 seed 2 weeks ago so that's a lot of ground to make up on teams with more chances for good wins. And if they did somehow pull it off, it comes at the expense of Marquette since they'd have to beat Marquette twice to have a chance

Reaction Score
No chance of getting 3 of the top 8 seeds. 123 is what you will see. Creighton can only be a 2 by beating Marquette twice and UConn in big east tournament championship game. In that scenario Marquette drops to 3

Reaction Score
The big issue to me, as far as seeding goes, is by being the number one seed Creighton and Marquette will have to play each other to get the championship game and UConn will only have to play one or the other, not both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom