Big East Redo | The Boneyard

Big East Redo

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Ok I'm going to throw out this thought that I keep having. I know it's as likely as Carl believing a CBS article but it's crossed my mind a bit in all this.

I feel like the Big East missed the boat when they didn't extend an invite to the Big-12 schools that were on the cusp of being left out. Now, it all worked out and Iowa St, Baylor, Kansas all get an unfair seat at the big boy table, but it was close to not.

Should the Big East be looking into saying no thanks to some of the incoming members and seeking out some ACC schools that are probably crapping themselves right now? Why not see if BC, Pitt, 'Cuse, Maryland, hell even Duke, would be interested in being proactive and joining up with the current BE members pre-2013? I know it sounds nuts but these schools would no longer be under the ACC TV deal, could renegotiate with the new Big East TV deal, and would have some security. It might keep Louisville around and provide a solid NorthEast conference.

The only thing wrong here is that there isn't a power team to make this new conference on par with the big boys but maybe they could grab Miami and in a few years, after all the sanctions are passed, they could return? I dunno....it just seems like the Big East might have a slight oppurtunity here.

I could be absolutely nuts on this but it just keeps me thinking to last summer when everyone was saying the BE should nab some Big-12 North teams and then they did nothing and are left with this pile of crap.....

Just something that keeps going through my head. I have a feeling no one is leaving the ACC until necessary but you never know....

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Nah. kansas et al wanted a soft landing spot if the Big XII blew apart. There was no way in hell they were actually leaving it for the Big East unless and until it did.

Which is how I feel it will happen with the ACC schools as well but it's just funny to think that the ACC schools could be having some negotiations with the Big East. Although unlikely, it's funny to see how things have swung.

Reaction Score
Should the Big East be looking into saying no thanks to some of the incoming members and seeking out some ACC schools that are probably crapping themselves right now?

If you change the above to read Should UConn, Rutgers, Cinn, Louisville and USF be looking into saying no thanks to some of the incoming members and seeking out some ACC schools that are probably crapping themselves right now?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Swofford really is an balloon knot. Had he left the BE alone this last time, the BE would still have WVU, Cuse and Pitt. Also he could sell his schools on a pretty good payout with an ACC/BE bowl arrangement.

Reaction Score
It's just a glorious, righteous thing right now to see, hear and feel the abject panic running through the ACC's fanbases right now.

My goodness, they've had it coming...

I'm enjoying it, too. Especially the moaning on the Pitt and Syracuse boards that say that this shouldn't be allowed, that Congress will step in, wait until the politicians get involved, etc., etc. They should get a clue...no one is going to save them, just like no one saved UConn or the other schools.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I'm enjoying it, too. Especially the moaning on the Pitt and Syracuse boards that say that this shouldn't be allowed, that Congress will step in, wait until the politicians get involved, etc., etc. They should get a clue...no one is going to save them, just like no one saved UConn or the other schools.

I love short people's memories are.....especially Pitt and 'Cuse fans who've already experienced this shuffling in 2003.....I hope they get royally screwed or have to come crawling back to the Big East.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 north schools made it crystal clear that being a good samaritan in conference realignment just gets you a slap in the face. Kansas, KState, Iowa State, Baylor and Missouri were in full blown panic when the Big East offered to discuss helping them out. They repaid that kindness by taking the Big East's two best football programs.

The Big East should ONLY add schools that are accretive to the conference's TV contract and athletic profile. They should not add schools with serious NCAA problems (Miami) or schools that are in redundant in a market with a large state school (BCU).

Reaction Score

We should take their exits fee's now and then the entrance fee next week :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog