Big East Prezs to have Conf Call Tomorrow, Invites Possible | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East Prezs to have Conf Call Tomorrow, Invites Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're correcto mundo. Ct pop 3.45 million, oc 3.01 million.
Claremont colleges being a stone's throw, nonsequitur...unless you want me to count mass and ny colleges, too.

In any event, oc supports 4 four-year colleges, including uci. Ct has 4 times that, if not more, again pointing out one reason why of the 5 top 20 public univ that don't play fbs, 4 are in the uc system...home of ucla and cal.
I actually forgot about the only other top 20 public that isn't fbs, william and mary, which might as well be private.

The expansion to 8 comprises the original buildout. The others are new additions that don't have the history or the resources to compete, so it's hardly a surprise that a school like Merced isn't stellar.

Orange County larger pop. than Connecticut? Don't think so. Besides, all the Claremont colleges are a stone's throw away. I get what you're saying about the state institutions having little competition though--but that's why they were created in the first. California's demographic explosion. The point is, California sunk its energy and resources into these universities, and they became world-class schools. That's the point I'm making.

Reaction Score
I don't know anyone who picked their school based on athletics unless they were athletes. I do know some who were made aware of a school because of athletics and that legitimized it so to speak.

As to the benefit of that? Is Boston College better because it gets more applicants from out of the region that meet te same profile and then get the same types of kids but get them from a greater geographical area? More New England kids leave the area and more non-New Englanders come to the area.

BC benefited, I'd say, though it's contested. Nonetheless, the school down the road on Comm. Ave. gets more a higher % of apps from outside the region.

Reaction Score
You're correcto mundo. Ct pop 3.45 million, oc 3.01 million.
Claremont colleges being a stone's throw, nonsequitur...unless you want me to count mass and ny colleges, too.

In any event, oc supports 4 four-year colleges, including uci. Ct has 4 times that, if not more, again pointing out one reason why of the 5 top 20 public univ that don't play fbs, 4 are in the uc system...home of ucla and cal.
I actually forgot about the only other top 20 public that isn't fbs, william and mary, which might as well be private.

They're 20 miles from old Orange. Not the same as saying NYC or Mass.

Reaction Score
W&M was private until 1906. They needed state $$ to survive.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
How much of a benefit? Enough to know it mattered. I doubt anyone can quantify it that accurately.

"AAAH! Don't ask me for facts! It just happened, ok! I'm just right!"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Look, I don't care whether you can be a great public university without FBS football. The point is that the people running UConn thought it was necessary. Given that the other ne public schools mostly languish in obscurity, they may have a point. Regardless, my point remains, there is nothing great about the possible new BE. It will not happen with those schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Look, I don't care whether you can be a great public university without FBS football. The point is that the people running UConn thought it was necessary. Given that the other ne public schools mostly languish in obscurity, they may have a point. Regardless, my point remains, there is nothing great about the possible new BE. It will not happen with those schools.

So what is your suggestion? Shut down the university? Or ask the ACC again? They seem to be right on the cusp of sending us an invite.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed the presidents had enough time on the call to discuss the realignment issues and flagship schools.

They are special people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32