Big East post-season games (merged) | The Boneyard

Big East post-season games (merged)

Reaction Score
The St. John’s game was great. Happy the Big East got a win. I think this tournament is going to expose how overrated the Big 10 was this year.
For a Coach of the Year, that was certainly a terrible job of coaching in the fourth quarter. If St. Johns had lost, it would have been his fault.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was "watching" the play by play on my phone (no actual video, more like the Live Stats that ESPN supplies) and the play by play showed that SJU took a timeout with 30 seconds left and the score tied. The next play was Jayla Everett scoring at the 2 second mark. What a great way to use the shot clock to win the game. (Purdue had no TOs left so they couldn't advance the ball.)
I wish I had seen it on video live...

Reaction Score
Marquette absolutely folded, looked anything like an experienced team with a good coach in the 4th qtr. Game not over but the situation down the stretch begged for a timeout to run a good offensive set and it came well after the fact when they lost the lead.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think that the competition committee needs to review the held ball rule. It's amazing that 2 defenders can basically bear hug the player with the ball, not actually having any kind of ball possession and a "jump ball" will be called.

Reaction Score
Marquette had three field goals in the last 15 minutes, 4th qtr and OT, and lost in OT. King was 4-21 from the field and 7-12 from the line. Tough loss but no one to blame but themselves.

Reaction Score
I think that the competition committee needs to review the held ball rule. It's amazing that 2 defenders can basically bear hug the player with the ball, not actually having any kind of ball possession and a "jump ball" will be called.
I could not agree more, assuming you are referring to the last jump ball call that gave Marquette the final possession; the call was a joke. What made it worse was the ref had a clear view of the obvious Marquette fouls and the lack of anything resembling a held ball.

Reaction Score
Ok who were the imposters dressed as Marquette in the 4th quarter and OT? I have to give props to the Bulls for their strong defense in the 4th and into the OT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Marquette absolutely folded, looked anything like an experienced team with a good coach in the 4th qtr. Game not over but the situation down the stretch begged for a timeout to run a good offensive set and it came well after the fact when they lost the lead.
I was surprised at Marquette’s lack of poise after going up by double digits. I thought that Megan Duffy should have called a timeout or two in the second half and settled her team down as USF made their run.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Marq. could have taken care of this game in regulation. I see King was only 5-10 from the line before OT.

Reaction Score
the lack of a true big hurts Marquette and it really showed in this game. It puts too much pressure on the guards to execute flawlessly. Also, it didn't help that Karlen had an off game. She's been a stalwart for them all season long, but not today. On the positive side, the 3 freshman, La Chappell, Hare and Nkumu suggest a promising future for them.

Reaction Score
I was looking for the Marquette team that couldn’t miss in their 2/8/23 game against UCONN. Whoa! Karlen was 2-11 and King was 4-21?? WTFT!! Who needs BIGS? Marquette! Marotta has to keep herself in the game. Silly fouls at this stage is a NO-GO. You absolutely can not commit a 5th foul like that. I’m sure that she’s an intelligent young lady, but you have to be conscious of the situation. Her 5th foul basically sealed the coffin for Marquette. Not only did they lose their best player for the game, they lost both post players. Dulcy was a handful and then some.

Reaction Score
I was looking for the Marquette team that couldn’t miss in their 2/8/23 game against UCONN. Karlen was 2-11 and King was 4-21?? WTFT!! Marotta absolutely can not commit a 5th foul like that. I’m sure that she’s an intelligent young lady, but you have to be conscious of the situation. Her 5th foul basically sealed the coffin for Marquette. Not only did you lose the best player, you’ve now lost both post players.
Agree! They lit it up against UConn and couldn't hit the side of the barn in clutch time today. Hard loss.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Late: Marquette could not stop penetrations by SF guards....got pull-ups and lay-ups.
Throughout game: got overpowered by SF big. Entertaining game overall.

Good Luck to SF on Sunday...LOTS of good luck!

Reaction Score
I was surprised at Marquette’s lack of poise after going up by double digits. I thought that Megan Duffy should have called a timeout or two in the second half and settled her team down as USF made their run.
I agree. The coaching so far from the BE teams has not been stellar. St. Johns slowed the game down in the fourth quarter just when they were on the verge of blowing Purdue out, lost all momentum and almost lost the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom