Big East official says UMass of interest if BE loses Rutgers and UConn | The Boneyard

Big East official says UMass of interest if BE loses Rutgers and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Ah. Beat me to it.

The other component of your question - Boise also not joining if they go to the B12.

Reaction Score
UCF, SMU and Houston may not be palatable to the cyo's. Temple and Memphis should be. But what a mess the Big East would be in.

SDSU and Boise out on an island. Kiss BYU goodbye. Does Navy still want in with only one other northeast team still left?

Here's a dark thought- if the powers to be don't want to wreak havoc up and down the conference food ladder, force UConn to stay.

Reaction Score
The Catholic schools will split and form a very solid b-ball conference. Best of luck to them.

Reaction Score

Are you basing this on something you know or is this just your opinion? Personally I would hate to see the Big East die and hope they try to hold something together.

I really hope UMASS is an option if UCONN gets left out in the cold again. The Big East can still be an excellent basketball conference with UMASS and Xavier replacing the two teams that leave.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I have to think part of the reason UMass upgraded was in the hope that they'd get a ticket out of the MAC. They might be surprised if it comes this soon.

Reaction Score
Are you basing this on something you know or is this just your opinion? Personally I would hate to see the Big East die and hope they try to hold something together.

I really hope UMASS is an option if UCONN gets left out in the cold again. The Big East can still be an excellent basketball conference with UMASS and Xavier replacing the two teams that leave.

The basketball schools said that if either UConn of LV left, that was it. I have no reason to doubt that because I don't see anything in the conglomeration for them if either UConn or LV goes.

Reaction Score
.agree with the statements above. Why would the Catholic schools want any part of the football mess when they can break off a probably get their same tv money? They would be a smaller league not have to travel west if they didn't want to. And have more open dates to schedule with ACC rivals?

Reaction Score
.agree with the statements above. Why would the Catholic schools want any part of the football mess when they can break off a probably get their same tv money? They would be a smaller league not have to travel west if they didn't want to. And have more open dates to schedule with ACC rivals?

"The same TV money"?????

The new A-10 (which includes Xavier, Butler, Charlotte, Dayton & VCU) TV deal with ESPN and CBSSN is for $40 mil over 8 years. That's $5 mil/year or $350,000 per school/per year. Do you think a "Catholic Hoops Conference" would do much better than that?

Reaction Score
"The same TV money"?????

The new A-10 (which includes Xavier, Butler, Charlotte, Dayton & VCU) TV deal with ESPN and CBSSN is for $40 mil over 8 years. That's $5 mil/year or $350,000 per school/per year. Do you think a "Catholic Hoops Conference" would do much better than that?

Yes. In a word.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Yes. In a word.

agree

prov/shu/sju/gt/nova/marq/dep
+
xav/but/day/stl/duq
+
4 more you pick and tell us why they are the answer markets/fanbase/etc...

16 maybe even a 18 team bball league will get 2-3mil a team from espn to feed the winter inventory as the extra big boy conf in the ncaa that just happens to be a bball only 1...

Reaction Score
...and get "the same TV money" as they get now??? That was uchusky32's comment that I was referencing.

You asked a question. I quoted it and answered it with a one word, unambiguous answer. I'm not sure what you're saying.

Reaction Score
...and get "the same TV money" as they get now??? That was uchusky32's comment that I was referencing.

The Atlantic Ten doesn't have a presence in Boston. It doesn't have a real presence in New York (Fordham doesn't count as it has no fan base whatsoever). It doesn't have a real presence in Washington (GW doesn't count -- see, e.g., Fordham). It doesn't have a presence in North Jersey. It doesn't have a presence in Connecticut. It's only real toehold along the northeast corridor is in Philly. It's good teams, with Temple gone, are mostly in minor markets.

I am not in any way knocking the A Ten's product on the court. It is a major basketball conference by product. But now in terms of market share. And, except in Philly, it would not bring a presence in major, major markets that the Big East Catholics would have in DC, Philly, North Jersey, New York, Chicago and Milwaukee.

If I had to guess, the Big EAst Catholics' could put a hoops league together where they get about the same money for their tv rights that they are getting now.

Reaction Score
"The same TV money"?????

Why not they are getting paid to play basketball. They play in NY, DC, Philly.

Forgot Chi town.

Reaction Score
uchusky32....When you said "the same TV money", did you mean that the Catholic schools should expect a contract similar to the contract they'd get if Cincy, UCONN, Temple and LVille were in the league??

Reaction Score
uchusky32....When you said "the same TV money", did you mean that the Catholic schools should expect a contract similar to the contract they'd get if Cincy, UCONN, Temple and LVille were in the league??

You do have a good point. But based on tv markets except for Temple not anywhere close to the markets the Catholic schools play in. But it could be close. There could be an affiliation with the ACC. I'm. Sure one of the big networks would want to have these teams on in the markets they play in. We can debate Uconn owning the NY market but there is a big population between DC and NY. They don't get the same amount of money as the football schools do now. They are getting paid now only for basketball.

Lets say its slightly less. Does playing Houston, SMU and CF add to the Catholic school's money? I think NBC, CBS, Fox or ESPN will see them as the secondary ACC schools basketball and want them.. lots of air time after the superbowl.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

If everyone leaves the BE as expected, and UCONN is left out in the cold, it will be a disaster. There is no other way to spin it. There is no scenario that is even remotely palatable if L'ville and RU leave the BE and UCONN is left as the ugly stepsister.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Catholic schools will split and form a very solid b-ball conference. Best of luck to them.

Which, coincidently, would be a more affordable and compatable product for ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom