Big East News | The Boneyard

Big East News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
E62DF373-9638-43D9-9980-1B7EFE813C5E.jpeg

Reaction Score
I wonder if the UConn news tipped the scale for the conference to think of doing a bubble? If this is the case, the location will be interesting. I wonder if Mohegan will be one of the finalists?

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I wonder if the UConn news tipped the scale for the conference to think of doing a bubble? If this is the case, the location will be interesting. I wonder if Mohegan will be one of the finalists?
Fool me once.

Reaction Score
I don’t really see how you do a bubble for a conference season. That’s a much bigger deal than a one or even two week tournament. The kids have to do school work, practice, eat, sleep and play games all from Mohegan Sun for 3 months? Sounds unrealistic.

Reaction Score
I don’t really see how you do a bubble for a conference season. That’s a much bigger deal than a one or even two week tournament. The kids have to do school work, practice, eat, sleep and play games all from Mohegan Sun for 3 months? Sounds unrealistic.
You would probably have to do multiple bubbles where you split the conference in half to start. That makes the most sense in my opinion. The best time to do it would have been the two weeks leading up to Christmas, then the 2-3 weeks after New Year's since most schools are on winter break during that time period. Its obviously extremely last minute now, but who know if this actually happens?

Reaction Score
They could break it up into 2 sessions potentially. 10 game session in January, followed by a 2nd 10 game session in February. Maybe 20-25 days each session? Most schools have such a long break between now and late January/February that school work wise it could work.

Reaction Score
You would probably have to do multiple bubbles where you split the conference in half to start. That makes the most sense in my opinion. The best time to do it would have been the two weeks leading up to Christmas, then the 2-3 weeks after New Year's since most schools are on winter break during that time period. Its obviously extremely last minute now, but who know if this actually happens?

I was assuming we’d have an Eastern bubble and a Midwestern bubble. Still, a season isn’t going to happen that fast. Two week sessions aren’t long enough.

Honestly, one of the best places for a bubble is a college campus with great facilities and a student body that is online only this winter. Dorms, multiple cafeterias for spacing, gyms, extra courts, health services etc. UConn could pull it off, not sure what other Big East school has that infrastructure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah.... cause these kids are living normal college life as it stands. Classes are virtual as it stands

Reaction Score
Most colleges are getting rid of Spring Break and pushing classes back deep into January. My school starts in February, no Spring Break, no holidays, and finishes 3rd week of May.

Reaction Score
Appreciate that the conference is realistic and acknowledges that a potential exists for canceling the season altogether. Think much of college sports is just trying to pretend this doesn’t exist

Reaction Score
I was assuming we’d have an eastern bubble and Midwestern bubble. Still, a season isn’t going to happen that fast. Two week sessions aren’t long enough.

Honestly, one of the best places for a bubble is a college campus with great facilities and a student body that is online only this winter. Dorms, multiple cafeterias for spacing, gyms, extra courts, health services etc. UConn could pull it off, not sure what other Big East school has that infrastructure.
I like this a lot. Except 10 games as mentioned earlier may be too many in a short period of time. If a team goes down early in the tournament they'll miss a lot of their games. So I think 10 games is probably too many. Maybe 7 teams 6 games. 14 days? Try to repeat that a couple weeks later. Maybe sneak in a game or 2 in between.

Reaction Score
Mohegan and a couple of unused high school or college gyms for practice could work. But I think this season is going down in flames across the board.

Reaction Score
The Bubbleville plan supposedly could have expanded to include courts in the ballrooms.
That went through my mind as well since thats what they do in Atlantis.

Reaction Score
I was assuming we’d have an Eastern bubble and a Midwestern bubble. Still, a season isn’t going to happen that fast. Two week sessions aren’t long enough.

Are kids actually moved out of their dorms at UConn? I think this is a great idea, that's the only snag I could think of. There is the dorm space, but they might all be "occupied" still, even though the students are at home.

Reaction Score
Are kids actually moved out of their dorms at UConn? I think this is a great idea, that's the only snag I could think of. There is the dorm space, but they might all be "occupied" still, even though the students are at home.
There is also a hotel right on campus that could potentially house other teams.

Reaction Score
So you are going to put players in bubbles for a few weeks for what? And having seen the failure of the Mohegan bubble Why go to the expense? Really..Shut.It.Down. You can restart the season around February If conditions are appropriate. The current model is unsustainable and all you need is one case and as we’ve seen the bubble becomes infeasible. Good chance you’ll have 6 teams quarentined instead of 1-2. And that doesn’t even consider the reasonableness of putting college kids in this situation for weeks. This is a dumb idea and should be dropped. If there were no tv contract nobody would even consider this. When they say it isn’t about the money, it is about letting kids play, you know one thing. It is about the money.

Reaction Score
Mohegan and a couple of unused high school or college gyms for practice could work. But I think this season is going down in flames across the board.
My like doesn’t mean I like this. Means I agree. Season is likely doomed.

Reaction Score
My like doesn’t mean I like this. Means I agree. Season is likely doomed.
I am not endorsing the idea, unless it is the only alternative to the current plan. My post was simply "they could do this." I beleive basketball should have been pushed to mid spring, if not canceled.

Reaction Score
I am not endorsing the idea, unless it is the only alternative to the current plan. My post was simply "they could do this." I beleive basketball should have been pushed to mid spring, if not canceled.
They can't cancel. With cancellation of the tournament last season and this season they would be looking at a loss of close to two billion dollars.

Reaction Score
So you are going to put players in bubbles for a few weeks for what? And having seen the failure of the Mohegan bubble Why go to the expense? Really..Shut.It.Down. You can restart the season around February If conditions are appropriate. The current model is unsustainable and all you need is one case and as we’ve seen the bubble becomes infeasible. Good chance you’ll have 6 teams quarentined instead of 1-2. And that doesn’t even consider the reasonableness of putting college kids in this situation for weeks. This is a dumb idea and should be dropped. If there were no tv contract nobody would even consider this. When they say it isn’t about the money, it is about letting kids play, you know one thing. It is about the money.

Because the players want to. Because it adds to players' portfolios and training for their future careers. You can't play basketball remotely.

Reaction Score
Because the players want to. Because it adds to players' portfolios and training for their future careers. You can't play basketball remotely.
Yeah. Sure. And just FYI one can argue that college serves many purpoes. Preparing someone for a professional basketball career would be at the very bottom of that list I am happy to say. What is there, 1 guy on this team who will have any kind of career in the NBA? Max 3? If the NBA never took another collegiate player into the league, UConn would continue to function and its basketball team would continue to compete. This is about money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom