Big East Memories (Video) | The Boneyard

Big East Memories (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Damn it. Now I'm supposed to be able to go to sleep after watching that. I want to pour a scotch and just stay in my chair thinking.

Ahh, make it a Blue Label.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Damn it. Now I'm supposed to be able to go to sleep after watching that. I want to pour a scotch and just stay in my chair thinking.

Just makes you think, how did all these great programs and rivlaries end up getting splintered from one another, when by rights, there's no reason they couldn't havebeen every bit successful as the other big 5 conferences.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I don't care what the media says about the Big East anymore: this was a damn good league.

It deserves a better fate than what it's going through...

Reaction Score
I don't care what the media says about the Big East anymore: this was a damn good league.

Hear hear. This whole situation is so d@mn sad.

Reaction Score

I'm betting that Houston, SMU, TCU, & Rice said the same thing in another era with the demise of the Southwest Conference.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm 26. I don't remember a time when the Big East didn't exist. I don't know what life is like without UConn competing against Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova and Pittsburgh on a regular basis. Sad to see the only conference home I've ever known get ripped apart by greed, television money, and whatever other factors are contributing. Hopefully, the next conference UConn competes in will provide as many memories as this one has and will produce the kinds of rivalries this one has. This conference, because of the close proximity of many of the member institutions to one another, and the success most have had at one time or another- especially on the basketball court- will never be replicated.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm 26. I don't remember a time when the Big East didn't exist.

I'm 25 and it's all I've ever known as well. The fact I made this last night, and then today we find out West Virginia is leaving almost makes it even more depressing.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, this is lies solely at the feet of the Big East presidents. Having a guy with zero vision and negotiating skills like Marinatto didn't help, but the presidents put him there in the first place. Makes me angry more than sad, these academic leaders had no loyalty to one another on the football side, on the basketball side they were too myopic in trying to keep a football/basketball balance out of fear of diluting the basketball. All the leaders at the schools that have moved on are breathing a sigh of relief and not giving jack shhhhit about those left behind.

Reaction Score
I'm betting that Houston, SMU, TCU, & Rice said the same thing in another era with the demise of the Southwest Conference.

And that may be what we have in our future . . .

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, this is lies solely at the feet of the Big East presidents. Having a guy with zero vision and negotiating skills like Marinatto didn't help, but the presidents put him there in the first place. Makes me angry more than sad, these academic leaders had no loyalty to one another on the football side, on the basketball side they were too myopic in trying to keep a football/basketball balance out of fear of diluting the basketball. All the leaders at the schools that have moved on are breathing a sigh of relief and not giving jack shhhhit about those left behind.

plus 1

Reaction Score
For those of us UConn fans who grew up in the early days of the Big East, watched the great battles in the '80s between Georgetown, Syracuse, St. John's, Villanova, etc, watched players like Ewing, Mullin, Pearl Washington, Ed Pinckney, Derrick Coleman, Walter Berry, & many others, saw some of them reach Final Fours and win national titles, being grateful that lowly UConn was even in the same conference locking horns with those great teams and those great players, hoping one day we'd be good enough just to be as good as they were........then to witness our magical transformation when Jim Calhoun arrived, going from Big East doormat to NIT Champ, through the Dream Season to multiple Big East titles in the 90's and eventually where we are now to elite status with multiple National Championships........it's been an incredible ride that none of us could have ever imagined - great games and great memories.

And all that considered, regardless of inner feuding or lack of vision by those in charge along the way - to see things come to this for the Big East.....is really a crying shame.

Reaction Score
For those of us UConn fans who grew up in the early days of the Big East, watched the great battles in the '80s between Georgetown, Syracuse, St. John's, Villanova, etc, watched players like Ewing, Mullin, Pearl Washington, Ed Pinckney, Derrick Coleman, Walter Berry, & many others, saw some of them reach Final Fours and win national titles, being grateful that lowly UConn was even in the same conference locking horns with those great teams and those great players, hoping one day we'd be good enough just to be as good as they were........then to witness our magical transformation when Jim Calhoun arrived, going from Big East doormat to NIT Champ, through the Dream Season to multiple Big East titles in the 90's and eventually where we are now to elite status with multiple National Championships........it's been an incredible ride that none of us could have ever imagined - great games and great memories.

And all that considered, regardless of inner feuding or lack of vision by those in charge along the way - to see things come to this for the Big East.....is really a crying shame.

+1

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link, lot of great memories. As a longtime Big East fan, it's a very sad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom