Big East (Home-Away-Repeats) | The Boneyard

Big East (Home-Away-Repeats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't understand why Marquette was selected as the 2nd team for the home and away games next year. I would think Louisville would be a better opponent for TV ratings.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that it was to help prevent further unbalance of the schedules. UConn/ND would have a game against the upper tier and one against a lower tier. Most likely wouldn't effect UConn either way. If you're the 3rd best team, but your repeat games are against #1 & #2 you could end up finishing with 4 losses and a 5th or 6th BET seed. Most leagues play a home/home type schedule so you get an accurate final league ranking. Two years ago ND lost on a last second basket at DePaul which combined with 2 losses to UConn dropped them to the 3rd seed in the BET. DePaul had lost to UConn, Louisville, and Marquette and kept the 2 seed on tie breakers. Similar to how St. Johns got the 2 seed in the BET last year. UConn's schedule was more difficult.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There are some quirks in the schedule.

The "repeats" generally seem to be one upper-tier opponent and one lower-tier. I said generally.

The most logical repeats are those of St. John's: Rutgers and Seton Hall. Both close by and easy for fans of these teams to do the home-and-away thing.

Look at USF's away games and you quickly realize that they will collect a lot of frequent flyer miles. In contrast, an avid Villanova fan might just drive to most away games.

And the Big East wcbb regular season features UConn vs. Notre Dame, Notre Dame vs. UConn, then everybody else. Encore in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom