Big East Glory Days | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Glory Days

Reaction Score
Look at that part! I thought he was the coolest dude in college basketball and he was a BALLER.
Super Part!
IMG_3097.jpg

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
LMAO - says the guy who still has a picture of his FORMER coach on his profile here.

Seriously? We got 5, how many you got? Oh, right: 2. From over 60 years ago.

And John Fanta tends to act like a pompous know-it-all too often for my taste.

Want to bet on which conference will have the better Top 4 next year? I'll take our NATIONAL CHAMPION UConn Huskies, Marquette, Creighton and Xavier.... oh, and maybe St. John's too, if I need a 5th, over any Top 4 you want to put up from your "new conference". Yes, it was arguably the best conference this year DURING THE REGULAR SEASON, and will be good again next year. But I am happy to take my chances come next March once again with the Big East. So take your lame and factually wrong comment and go away.

One other thing we always have that you never will again: MSG. Undeniably the best conference tournament in the country on a yearly basis. Better than what you will be a part of in Kansas City... and it ain't even close.

Oh, and your team won't be close to being in it next year either way.

You could talk crap years ago when your team had our number in the AAC more often than not, Kobe. But now?

Stop. Just stop. Makes you look like a jealous fool.

Awkward Britney Spears GIF

completely uncalled for my friend

Reaction Score
Adama reminds me of Tim Coles. TC had to battle the Big East heavyweights and he did it playing 33 minutes per game his senior year.
Ewing, Walter Berry, Rony Seikaly, Ed Pinckney, Harold Pressley, Charles Smith...

ColesTim_playinglg.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some of you guys are too young to remember the original Big East conference.

I remember how emotional I would get when UConn faced Georgetown or Syracuse. It just seemed like such a big event back then. The original Big East was special and I"m so glad I got to see incredible games against guys like Alonzo Mourning and Allen Iverson just to name a few. Those were days when the farthest thing from your mind as a fan was worrying about conference alignment or out of conference scheduling. You played who you played if you had a good season, you had a fair shot at making the tournament.

Everything today is so calculated. It's a shame really, but I still love watching the game. If you remember any classic games, awesome Big East players or coaches, post them.

View attachment 86989

A post about glory days of BE and then mentions Gtown with Mourning and Iverson.

Lol.

Those weren't the glory days.

Reaction Score
A post about glory days of BE and then mentions Gtown with Mourning and Iverson.

Lol.

Those weren't the glory days.

Those were tough match ups. I don't know about you, but beating Georgetown in the early 90's with the talent level we had was truly glorious.

The 1990 Big East championship was nothing short of spectacular

This thread is about the Big East, not just UConn, and the original Big East was one of the most prestigious leagues in the country in my opinion.

What Calhoun was able to achieve with the level of talent he had amazing.

We are spoiled. We solid recruiting and teams fear UConn, but I remember thinking how in the world can we beat Georgetown or Syracuse.

We are truly spoiled by our success

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saturday, January 20, 1990--UConn beats Georgetown at the Civic Center, 70-65. Georgetown had been ranked No. 2 that week and was poised to move up to No. 1, because No. 1 Kansas had lost earlier in the day. That was the night that it became clear 1990 would be a very special year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Those were tough match ups. I don't know about you, but beating Georgetown in the early 90's with the talent level we had was truly glorious.

The 1990 Big East championship was nothing short of spectacular

This thread is about the Big East, not just UConn, and the original Big East was one of the most prestigious leagues in the country in my opinion.

What Calhoun was able to achieve with the level of talent he had amazing.

We are spoiled. We solid recruiting and teams fear UConn, but I remember thinking how in the world can we beat Georgetown or Syracuse.

We are truly spoiled by our success

Imagine how hard it was in the 80's when Georgetown went to three Final Fours in a four year span and played in 3 of the most memorable championship games???

Those days must have been pretty good too.

Reaction Score
I remember going to a UConn game vs. Georgetown at the Civic Center in '85. We lost by about 30 points. That team with Ewing & Co. was so dominant at the time I was just happy we got to say we were in the same conference with them. Never could have imagined what UConn would grow into once Calhoun got here.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I remember going to a UConn game vs Georgetown at the Civic Center in '85. We lost by about 30 points. That team with Ewing & Co. was so dominant at the time I was just happy we were in the same conference with them. Never could have imagined what UConn would grow into once Calhoun got here.
If you were a UConn fan back then you definitely were not spoiled and arrogant.

Maybe it’s my personality. Maybe it’s what we went through during that early BE period but my attitude has been appreciative of what I experienced as a fan.

I never could have imagined the success we’ve had up to this point. I never could have imagined we would reverse our position with teams who stomped us.

It’s difficult to have humility after this incredible change. But for me looking back to those days being described in this thread, looking at all the UConn paraphernalia I possess, I still can not believe how fortunate I’ve been to have observed one of the most incredible runs a fan could witness.

I guess I would be more comfortable in a shirt that had the words appreciative and shocked than arrogant and spoiled. I still have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I remember going to a UConn game vs. Georgetown at the Civic Center in '85. We lost by about 30 points. That team with Ewing & Co. was so dominant at the time I was just happy we got to say we were in the same conference with them. Never could have imagined what UConn would grow into once Calhoun got here.

Foe me it was Calhoun and Northeastern besting UConn at HCC with Regie Lewis.

Just hoping UConn would someday be good enough to make an NCAA tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom