Big East game at MSG | The Boneyard

Big East game at MSG

Reaction Score
Villanova should have upgraded and Temple would have been in the MAC. Oh well.

Reaction Score
also the Big East probably wouldn't have disintegrated. In the end many of the Big East's long-term instability traces to Villanova's short-sighted decision to drop football in the 1980s

Reaction Score
also the Big East probably wouldn't have disintegrated. In the end many of the Big East's long-term instability traces to Villanova's short-sighted decision to drop football in the 1980s

Since Villanova brought back football in the mid 1980's, I would say their two biggest mistakes with respect to the old Big East was one of the 3 'no' votes in 1982 that kept out Penn State and then in the late '90's declining to upgrade to Big East I-A football at the same time UConn said 'yes.'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is some truth to this. Though it was more the failure to step into Big East football when UConn did than the earlier drop and then bringing it back as 1AA. Also it’s not quite that simple, but Nova played more than its share in the league failure.

Pitt, Rutgers, and WVU hold even more blame.

The resulting restructuring has been better for Nova than for most.

Reaction Score
Since Villanova brought back football in the mid 1980's, I would say their two biggest mistakes with respect to the old Big East was one of the 3 'no' votes in 1982 that kept out Penn State and then in the late '90's declining to upgrade to Big East I-A football at the same time UConn said 'yes.'
1982 “no vote” I don’t think is a confirmed fact. Penn State surely would have accelerated the football part of the conference. They are still not yet relevant in hoops.

Despite the mistakes it has worked out for Nova Basketball.

Merry Christmas Huskies! I hope you find your way home to the Big East in the New Year.

Reaction Score
Merry Christmas Huskies! I hope you find your way home to the Big East in the New Year.

Happy Holidays to you and Nova Zissou. However unless that Uconn Professor has finally solved time travel, there's no way in hell that The Huskies should ever consider joining The C 9 out of 10. Whoops... I mean "The Big East." Downgrading Football at this point in history would be a monumentally bad decision. UConn has made too much of an investment in growing its program to throw it all away to play nostalgia hoops with St Johns and Providence. Its easy to say the things you do, because like Nova these schools are already in the best place they can be for their overall athletic departments. Uconn OTOH is a prominent state university with a large and accomplished athletic department. Unlike every school in The Big East that AD also includes FBS Football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has made too much of an investment in growing its program to throw it all away to play nostalgia hoops with St Johns and Providence.

What’s wrong with Providence and St John’s? Now you play Tulsa and Tulane, and they are like a thousand miles away!

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
What’s wrong with Providence and St John’s? Now you play Tulsa and Tulane, and they are like a thousand miles away!

There is nothing wrong with those schools. They just don’t play football. Like the Nitany Lion said above, for better or worse, they made the choice to play football and need to see it through. They are a large public flagship school. They should be playing large public schools. The Big East is a great BBall conference. . . If you are a private school that doesn’t play FBS football.

I know that you want UConn back, why wouldn’t you. Here’s the thing, going back to the Big East won’t bring back the glory days of Jim Calhoun. Basketball, football, lacrosse, hockey, underwater basketweaving, basically any college sport is dependent on who is calling the shots. It all comes down to coaching. Alabama had down periods between Gene Stallings and Nick Sagan. Clemson was so-so before Dabo Sweeney. Look at USC without Pete Carroll. Basketball is even more so. Take your Villanova as an example. What were they doing before Jay Wright got there? He did a whole lot better than his predeseccor, Steve Lapus and made the Sweek 16 more than Rollie did (more NC’s too). Going to the Big East won’t help UConn basketball. Finding and keeping a great coach will.

Reaction Score
URI fans would even take the AAC over the Big East. We have some really dense creatures on this planet.

Reaction Score
1982 “no vote” I don’t think is a confirmed fact. Penn State surely would have accelerated the football part of the conference. They are still not yet relevant in hoops.
I can't find the direct story in the Time, but Dave Gavitt or Mike Tranghese confirmed it in an interview for the NY Times that it was indeed a 5-3 vote for Penn State's inclusion in the old Big East. The 3 'no' votes were St. John's, Georgetown and Villanova. It has since been quoted by ESPN (for the 30 for 30 Big East special) and elsewhere. What is speculated is that Villanova voted no because 1) it viewed Penn St as a threat to its Philly maket, unlike Pitt, which it voted 'yes' to join the old Big East a short time later, and 2) after shutting down its own football program in 1980, it did not want to give its alumni more fuel to bringing the program back (obviously is did not work).

Reaction Score
I am glad that they are using NET this year...

Don't understand kenpom...Purdue at 7-5 is #19...St. Johns at
12-0 is #51.

Reaction Score
Excuuuuuuuse me....St. John's is #51 on kenpom as I posted....12-0 and #51

U CAN"T FREEKIN' READ A POST CAN YA?

I NEVER SAID WHAT NET RATING ST. JOHN"S HAD.

Another macaroon from St. Johns who rates low on reading comprehension?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
——————-

Hey billybud
Please don’t make up facts to suit you narrivative by posin false stats.

The NCAA Net ranking for StJohn’s is #26 .... not #51 as you falsely posted.
DI Men's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Men's Basketball NET Rankings | NCAA.com

I think this post might disappear by deletion...so I did want to memorialize the inane knee jerk disconnection from the brain that Bobol seems to be afflicted with.

And I'd like to offer some advice...If you slow down, take a breath, and actually read all of the words, your comprehension would improve.

that's all...rant off

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom