Big East from a Middie Perspective... | The Boneyard

Big East from a Middie Perspective...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

i like that the guy acknowledges that the Big EAst will be more difficult. i think a lot of people are expecting Boise to roll through us. unfortunately if they lose a couple games it will be said to be because they lost Moore and have nothing to do with harder competition.and if Pitt or Cuse ever experience any kind of success in the ACC, which they obviously never experienced in the NBE, it'll be because moving to the great ACC enhanced the team, whereas in reality it'll be because the ACC is overrated

F

fortebleedsblue

Well the good news for former Big East teams is that one of them will have to have a few conference wins by default when they all play each other.

Reaction Score
Pretty much echoes what I've been writing for a long time. Nice read. Thanks

Reaction Score
too add on to what coach posted - here are the other posted parts of the discussion

Part 1:
http://thebirddog.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/changing-course-part-1/

Part 2:
http://thebirddog.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/changing-course-part-2-the-opposition/

Part 3:
http://thebirddog.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/changing-course-part-3-cynical-knee-jerk-opposition/

and a link to john feinstein piece that I hadn't seen before:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ng-direction/2012/01/25/gIQAz3ZxQQ_story.html

Navy football is something that is personal to me, right behind UConn. Could have very well been the other way around. I am very happy to have them joining the big east and have them as a partner to compete with annually. Never would have imagined it possible, and the fact that the naval academy trusts current big east leadership with their football program, is really all you need to know that leadership in the big east has changed fundamentally from what it was for 31 years.

They will have a difficult time, but as highly selective as they need to be with admissions, they can also recruit the entire country, and will have the financial resources and publicity to do so.

Reaction Score
P.S. if you do actually read this whole thing - pay attention to the comments sections. good stuff.

Reaction Score
If the BCS conferences do split from the NCAA, this is going to become insane. No more Butler and VCU in Final Fours.

Reaction Score
My favorite excerpts:
From Part 1
"CBS is truly exceptional as a television partner, giving the Mids top billing on Saturdays, producing the fantastic A Game of Honor documentary, and even airing the spring game last year. Navy has bowl games lined up for the next 5 years. Attendance is high, and the program is coming off of one of the most successful decades in its history. Navy is doing just fine right now. But this isn’t a decision that’s being made for right now; this is a decision that’s being made to put the program in the best position to face the uncertainty of 10-20 years from now. If you wait until it becomes obvious that a move is necessary, it will be too late. So the superintendent did what any good OOD would do. He changed course."
Wow! Maybe CBS will televise a UConn spring game.
From Part 4
"There’s plenty of good football played at the I-AA level, but that’s not the point.Vanderbilt can go just 6-6 and lose the Liberty Bowl, and that’s still bigger news and better exposure than North Dakota State winning the whole thing in I-AA.
If you don’t believe that there is a split on the horizon between the so-called haves and have-nots, then obviously none of this will ever be a good idea to you. But if you do think a split is inevitable — and Academy leadership clearly believes that to be the case – then joining the Big East is the right decision for the sake of the school’s mission. The Naval Academy is obligated to position themselves as a national, mainstream institution. That makes visibility the priority for the football program, which means doing whatever you can to stay in the top tier."
Another Wow! The Navy's top brass have a real strategic vision. It just reminds me there have been too many naysayers about the teams chosen for the BE expansion versus those who see that in the long run, the BE will be recognized as a leading conference able to consistently attract better athletically gifted scholar-athletes.

As for the John Feinstein - although a good book writer, his articles often remind me of the kid who knows everything...a little annoying, but sometimes right, which makes him even more annoying. Personally I'd rather read what Frank Deford has to say about Navy joining the BE.

Reaction Score
There are two things that exist in college football that are the reasons for everything to be the way they are right now.

One is the Oklahoma Board of Regents v. NCAA supreme court case in 1984, and the other is that there is no true college football post season amtching up league champions to determine a national champion.

I wanted out of the former Big East since the UConn BOT voted to upgrade to 1-A in 1997. For all the same reasons that every other 1-A program has left in the time since. That changed in fall 2011, with the change in leadership from the conference presidents and office.

I'm very comfortable in a Big East conference, that the Naval Academy has chosen to end their 130 years of independance, to choose to regularly line up against in the future, and are clearly have a plan to get there and be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom