"Big East" Final | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Big East" Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No way, he had to deal with the fallout from Tranghese's failures. Like blaming the financial crisis on Bush when it was largely a buildup of 90s policies.
Why stop at the 90s? Sure it wasn't LBJ?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He's such a huge failure. He had the chance to build the BE in to a strong, viable league. He failed. He was either dumb or influenced or both. John M was dealing with scraps, no one could have saved that from its eventuality.

If I met Tranghese personally I would honestly tell him he's a failure and an idiot. I feel that strongly about his incompetence.

M

They were both total F ups, but Marinatto did have a chance to do some things right on his own, and he failed miserably. He left the entire membership wishin' and hopin' that Villanova would upgrade to IA football, as if that was ever going to happen, and even if it did, a neophyte Nova IA program was going to magically save the conference how?

While he waited around for well over a year with his thumb up his ass, Syracuse, Pitt and West Virginia got tired of waiting. We could have at least attempted to pluck Maryland or Penn State, but instead we're waiting for a tiny, insignificant Catholic college in the Philly suburbs to go IA in football?

Then he acts like we've got the best conference football/basketball package in the world and totally blows the negotiations on the TV renewal deal. Tranghese and Marinatto were the sad but logical result of having the ex-Providence College athletic dept. Mafia trying to run an old line college BB conference of primarily small Catholic schools. It was doomed to fail with those simple and small minded bozos in charge of it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, last fall I posted that my mother was dead to me. She is the only UConn grad in my family, but she grew up in eastern Pennsylvania and has been a life long Villanova fan. At the UConn/Nova football game she wore a Nova shirt and rooted for the Wildcats. I buried her on the Boneyard.

I've always disliked Nova and when they won their championship my oldest sister was a student at Villanova and UConn still was irrelevant. It doesn't help that my mom is a Yankee fan and I'm a Sox fan. True story. I was in the Navy in 2004 when the Sox won the World Series. My mom sent a care package of Red Sox championship gear for my 2 year old son and on the note she made it perfectly clear she wasn't buying anything for her son, only her grandson.

So, with that backdrop, my parents are in Florida visiting and we got to watch the BE championship game tonight. Needless to say I was all in on the Hall and was ribbing her mercilessly. Yes, my 72 year old Catholic mother who taught religion in high school was cussing, yelling at the TV, and at one point, jammed her knee, due to stomping the floor so hard.

I kept busting her chops about it how it must be March if Nova is choking, how everyone roots for Nova to be a high seed in their regional and a bunch of other smack talk.

All in all, today was a good day.

Reaction Score
I was there tonight. Very enjoyable game. Its crazy how the Big East continues to pack the house. 19312 strong tonight.

All I need to make things right is for Connecticut to win tomorrow. I never had two teams to root for in the tournament. It's gonna feel damnnn good

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the Friday night Final Four

Nova, Hall, X & PC

basketball royalty

Reaction Score
Willie and the rest. Stop shytting on the Big East. I don't get it. Why is it that basketball fans are shytting on the only major basketball conference in America. It makes me think of voters that vote against their own best interest. Let it be, Connecticut will be fine anyways and will be dancing. A good Big East allows a good crop of teams that Connecticut can play in the out-of-conference season that are nearby and draw interest:

Anyway here a bit of the CBS article:

"The old Big East. Physical to the end; whistles optional. This was a revival of conference character and atmosphere. Villanova and Hall fans sold out the building on Saturday night, and the volley between the teams and their bases was ear-splitting. If you were in the building and didn't get goosebumps multiple times, you didn't deserve to be watching the game in person.

Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard and Nova coach Jay Wright said afterward how vital the environment felt. This was maybe the best atmosphere in the Garden since the conference reformatted to 10 teams.

"I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I don't care," Willard said. "You know, everyone always asks questions about, is this tournament in trouble? The home, the ACC and the Big Ten. They want to come in to New York. The Big East is -- this is the home. We are the home. We will always be the home. They are going to be tourists. I've said it before. They're going to come in. They're going to get a slice of pizza. Hopefully a bacon, egg and cheese, and a coffee, and then they're going to leave. But at the end of the day, the Big East will still be here."

Villanova's loss could mean the Wildcats get bumped off the No. 1 line. We'll find that out at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, when CBS airs its two-hour Selection Show. Villanova is now 29-5. It went 18-3 in the Big East this season, including the league playoff.

The last three years have seen three traditional Big East programs end long droughts of not winning the league bracket: Providence in 2014, Villanova in 2015, and now Seton Hall. We don't need any more columns or stories on the Big East redefining itself or changing its image. The Big East now is still a major, relevant conference. Realignment took away its appearance but couldn't strip it of its identity. "

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Because when it's a Butler - Creighton final it will be a ghost town. Enjoy your faux BE. Quit claiming nothing has changed.

Reaction Score
Because when it's a Butler - Creighton final it will be a ghost town. Enjoy your faux BE. Quit claiming nothing has changed.

But no one is saying nothing has changed. The Big East lost the best programs it had. But the point, why hate on the current Big East? A strong Big East is good for everyone. I said this many times before. Do you want the entire Northeast to become irrelevant in basketball?, just like it is in College Football. Because if the Big East goes down, everyone else will suffer when you have to go 1000+ miles to play an RPI worthy team... Do you want to be surrounded by BCUs? It doesn't make sense to me. Some fans are really short sighted

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Must be nice for a bunch of also-rans from the real Big East to finally feel success.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
So, I had a cube steak for dinner the other night. It was ok - but not once, not even for a second, did I ever confuse it for a 16 oz Filet Mignon.

Willie and the rest. Stop shytting on the Big East. I don't get it. Why is it that basketball fans are shytting on the only major basketball conference in America. It makes me think of voters that vote against their own best interest. Let it be, Connecticut will be fine anyways and will be dancing. A good Big East allows a good crop of teams that Connecticut can play in the out-of-conference season that are nearby and draw interest:

Anyway here a bit of the CBS article:

"The old Big East. Physical to the end; whistles optional. This was a revival of conference character and atmosphere. Villanova and Hall fans sold out the building on Saturday night, and the volley between the teams and their bases was ear-splitting. If you were in the building and didn't get goosebumps multiple times, you didn't deserve to be watching the game in person.

Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard and Nova coach Jay Wright said afterward how vital the environment felt. This was maybe the best atmosphere in the Garden since the conference reformatted to 10 teams.

"I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I don't care," Willard said. "You know, everyone always asks questions about, is this tournament in trouble? The home, the ACC and the Big Ten. They want to come in to New York. The Big East is -- this is the home. We are the home. We will always be the home. They are going to be tourists. I've said it before. They're going to come in. They're going to get a slice of pizza. Hopefully a bacon, egg and cheese, and a coffee, and then they're going to leave. But at the end of the day, the Big East will still be here."

Villanova's loss could mean the Wildcats get bumped off the No. 1 line. We'll find that out at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, when CBS airs its two-hour Selection Show. Villanova is now 29-5. It went 18-3 in the Big East this season, including the league playoff.

The last three years have seen three traditional Big East programs end long droughts of not winning the league bracket: Providence in 2014, Villanova in 2015, and now Seton Hall. We don't need any more columns or stories on the Big East redefining itself or changing its image. The Big East now is still a major, relevant conference. Realignment took away its appearance but couldn't strip it of its identity. "

Reaction Score
Was Seton Hall in the tournament already? I assume no. All the more reason we need to win today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom