Big East DPOY Race | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East DPOY Race

Reaction Score
Agreed, but get prepared for maximum ribbing if you guys lost to a 13-seed this year!

Reaction Score
If you're insisting he's not meeting any of those criteria, you're not watching the games.
I've watched a few (your games vs. UConn, Butler, Xavier, Marquette). His steal rate is literally the lowest on your team in conference play, and that stat doesn't really lie since it's a binary outcome (deflections would be better, but not available). He's good at denial and playing good on-ball without fouling defense, but not at creating turnovers. Indirectly that disrupts some team's offenses, but mostly those teams that run through their wings (I called out St Johns and Marquette already). I also mentioned in the post that he helps at the rim, but he's not elite in that regard, because he's not a full-time rim protector. UConn has 3 much better rim protectors alone. And I haven't seen you press with the intent to create turnovers. Let me know which facet of those things you think he does.

Reaction Score
I've watched a few (your games vs. UConn, Butler, Xavier, Marquette). His steal rate is literally the lowest on your team in conference play, and that stat doesn't really lie since it's a binary outcome (deflections would be better, but not available). He's good at denial and playing good on-ball without fouling defense, but not at creating turnovers. Indirectly that disrupts some team's offenses, but mostly those teams that run through their wings (I called out St Johns and Marquette already). I also mentioned in the post that he helps at the rim, but he's not elite in that regard, because he's not a full-time rim protector. UConn has 3 much better rim protectors alone. And I haven't seen you press with the intent to create turnovers. Let me know which facet of those things you think he does.
The field goal percentage defense of Minaya is incredibly impressive. And steals for a great wing defender aren’t always super important. I mean all we have to do is look back to last year when Morsell locked up our backcourt. He doesn’t even average a steal a game for his career but has been a lockdown perimeter defender and won DPOY in the Big 10

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Whaley’s stats are down, but if you watch him he’s the most intimidating and active defender in the conference from 30 ft out to the rim.
His hands are incredible. No player can reach and strip (or disrupt) without picking up a foul better than Whaley. However he is a notch down in overall defense this year for whatever reason ( nagging injuries? covid?) than he was last year. Still, all in all, a major plus asset on that end though. Love that kid.

Reaction Score
What you're insinuating here, is that he's not Dennis Rodman - he's not. He's one of the three best defenders in the Big East, and depending on your preference/values, he could be considered the best. You're choosing one statistical category (steal%) to pass judgment.

Reaction Score
What you're insinuating here, is that he's not Dennis Rodman - he's not. He's one of the three best defenders in the Big East, and depending on your preference/values, he could be considered the best. You're choosing one statistical category (steal%) to pass judgment.
My preference is for total defensive value and I'm noting that the positions do not provide this value equally on defense, and so from his position he has to do certain things to really make a difference, and he only does 1 of the options at a high level (1v1 individual defense, not disrupting offense or protecting the rim).

If you want to say he's one of the 3 best individual 1v1 wing defenders in the league, sure I agree he's up there.

Should a wing defender who doesn't cause steals and is not an elite rim protector be the DPOY in the conference? From my perspective, that type of player does not add enough total defensive value in most cases.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom