Big East Conference Status | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Conference Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn will not drop football.
But it's clear that adding it is currently a nightmare, full regret decision.

For those who disagree: with football, UConn is in a conference with UCF and Tulane. Without it, its in a conference with Georgetown and Marquette.

That's not fair. We were in the ACC before BC did some arm twisting and got Pitt in instead. We were then next in line but UL jumped us because the ACC had the worst football season in its history and they panicked. We have just been incredibly unlucky.

If we did not upgrade, everyone would be bitching about how we were a shoe-in for the ACC but for not going FBS. That's how Villanova and even some Georgetown fans are reacting right now.

Reaction Score
After Clemson just beat LSU and FSU likely to defeat NIU (and UL likely to get crushed by UF) - I would argue that had the latest round of realignment happened after the Bowls season, UConn would have been picked ahead of UL. Shows how nutty this all is.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't question that this is more bad luck than bad decision making. But it doesn't change the reality that UConn is far better off in a conference with Georgetown and Villanova than one with UCF and ECU.

The people on this board? We'll go to the games. But nobody else will. Nooooobooodyyyy. Football or basketball. Done.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Now I know nobody likes our WVU tweeters but I do believe that he does have some people that hear things. He has repeatedly said that he does not think that UCONN is going to the big12 but that ESPN is trying. He reiterated that tonight. I don't think it's going to happen but he has continually brought it up. I just hope that somehow ESPN would try to find us a home. Just a small ray of hope I guess. We need something.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I know WBB doesn't matter BUT...ESPN has a very long-term commitment to broadcast the NCAA WBB Tournament. UConn is, without question, far-and-away the only strong ratings team involved. If they want to hope for any buzz in the tournament, they can't have the one team that drams a rating falling off because they're stuck in th Sub Beast.

Reaction Score
I am sure all 25,000+ people who go to UConn football games are members of this message board. You are so right. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This idea that we are better off if we never went Big on Football, with all due respect, is as much a defeatist hide under a rock loser as it gets.

In Life you take a shot. The University of Connecticut is a Flagship State U & deserves to be on that upper tier. We fight & push & win until we are. This thing is temporary at best. If we go on the Arc I think we are on with MBB plus WBB and get fixed in Football, we have the market to be in. My concern remains this declining Fanbase that neither Manual or Hathaway addresses.

I think we can still sell 40,000 to the Rent; but it's more challenging. Our young Fanbase can grow.

As for Blaudschun, that CUSA is crazy. They've gone for Middle Tenn & FIU/FAU. And why Rice when we have Houston? Only Tulsa is interesting & that's a smallish market.

And we haven't seen the last of a tie to the Mountain West.

Catholic 7. Some can ding UCF (soon to be the second biggest U) & want to continue playing Seton Hall, Providence & DePaul? Are you kidding? Only Georgetown has value in my mind.

This all sucks. But, you aim high & fight to get to the higher level.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think it requires another hybrid and out of the box thinking like an SNY/NESN/UC0nn Network that is forced onto CT cable operators at higher prices than the norm and an aggressive entry by UConn into media. Bring the Sox to Fairfield County and Bring the Mets to Western Mass and streaming on the new Xbox 720 next Christmas.

Get in bed with Microsoft to deliver the streaming product on all platforms TV, Phones, Autos, and Xbox/DVR

UConn will need a separate media contract. the problem up to now: UConn is bargaining from weakness. 12 weak football teams are not strength.

Forget UConn granting media rights or accepting an equal share. The $500,ooo bonuses for ESPN2 and better appearances is back. This gives UConn an incentive to book top shelf talent in basketball and football and to market it.

We need pioneers not boring old twelvers who got UConn into this mess.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
While many have praise for Herbst and Manuel they don't appear to be visionaries. Pretty much "let's settle for less" types.

Reaction Score
I don't question that this is more bad luck than bad decision making. But it doesn't change the reality that UConn is far better off in a conference with Georgetown and Villanova than one with UCF and ECU.

The people on this board? We'll go to the games. But nobody else will. Nooooobooodyyyy. Football or basketball. Done.

Seriously, you're still on this? You don't quite see that the football conferences are ready to break off? That's the whole reason realignment is happening in the first place.

And Georgetown and Villanova are decent teams, but you don't think you're being disingenuous by comparing them to UCF and ECU.

Let me put it to you this way: I can't remember UConn losing to DePaul. Maybe it happened. I do remember UConn losing to UCF however. That happened just last year.

Cincy and Memphis are just as good as Georgetown and Villanova. In fact, they are better. And in a BCS conference (which will never happen for Memphis) they leave G'town and Nova in the dust, and the dust is exactly what UConn is trying to avoid.

Reaction Score
How many teams are going to be playing BBall in the NNNBE? UConn, USF, UCF, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Tulane? Should add UMass and roll with 10. Home and home with each. 12-13 games to play some "real" teams OOC.

Reaction Score
How many teams are going to be playing BBall in the NNNBE? UConn, USF, UCF, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Tulane? Should add UMass and roll with 10. Home and home with each. 12-13 games to play some "real" teams OOC.

You are missing ECU which is now an all sports member... so they are at 10 already.

Reaction Score
Aresco should try to convince the Mountain West to have their champion play our champion for what would most often be a BCS bowl. These two conferences could make more money working together instead of trying to destroy each other. We should have joined hands with the MWC last year.

Reaction Score
Please stop with the UMass stuff

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
UConn will not drop football.
But it's clear that adding it is currently a nightmare, full regret decision.

For those who disagree: with football, UConn is in a conference with UCF and Tulane. Without it, its in a conference with Georgetown and Marquette.

That's not accurate. It's just as arguable that if the FB schools of the Big East had split from the BB onlies when they should have (i.e. before Marinatto sat on his for over a year waiting for Villanova to decide to upgrade to FBS status) the FB schools would still be together, probably with both TCU and Boise State on board. It wouldn't have been a premier FB conference but it would have still been BCS caliber and UCONN would have retained a seat at the table among the majors. Without the FB program, we would be guaranteed consignment to mid-major status, which is exactly where Georgetown, Marquette and the rest of the BB schools are headed. UCONN still has some chance to gain membership to a BCS conference, even with all that's happened. Without football, that chance would be non-existent.

The fault or blame for the implosion of the conference rests squarely on the shoulders of the BB onlies, who dictated conference policy out of Providence because the administration of the entire league, up until the appointment of the new commissioner, has been run exclusively by the Providence College mafia. Everybody involved at the highest levels has been allied with PC, where they all worked in the athletic dept. at one time or another. Since they were PC shills they also were shills for the BB schools in opposition to the FB schools. We're in the mess we're in now due to the BB schools. The league should have been split years ago.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Twelvers: I've yet to see a plan that gives the BE the kind of contract that the BE Tourney at MSG would give them. Closest is an 8-game playoff at MSG.

If media will pay for the Mountain East to add the best 4 basketball teams it can add (Nova, Georgetown, Saint John's, Xavier) to better their ESPN2 exposure and set up a nice contract with both MSG and ESPN, why would a twelver oppose this? Let me guess. Because the ACC is a traitor for adding ND and opposing simplistic Twelver think

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure whether to be hopeful or depressed that Army might find our new line up less daunting then the A-10.

Yeah, it's depressed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Twelvers: I've yet to see a plan that gives the BE the kind of contract that the BE Tourney at MSG would give them. Closest is an 8-game playoff at MSG.

If media will pay for the Mountain East to add the best 4 basketball teams it can add (Nova, Georgetown, Saint John's, Xavier) to better their ESPN2 exposure and set up a nice contract with both MSG and ESPN, why would a twelver oppose this? Let me guess. Because the ACC is a traitor for adding ND and opposing simplistic Twelver think

They do not want to be in a league with the crappy schools that will be in the conference. They left. Voluntarily. It was the right move. Meanwhile, the evidence is ample that hybrid leagues are unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom