Big East Coach of the Year | The Boneyard

Big East Coach of the Year

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I am hearing a lot of names but not a lot about Danny Hurley. We were picked either 3 or 4 by the coaches and have dominated. But he does not get mentioned as a leading candidate by the talking heads. How is that possible? To me it is not even a question. Danny Hurley as things stand right now is by far the best coach in the BE this year. Time to start getting the word out!

Poe

Reaction Score
If the season ended today, yes, he should win, but there are still 5 games to go that will determine if he should win or not (I’m excluding DePaul, ha)

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Thad or Hurley, Providence was dealt a blow with Hopkins but they are a bubble team, why would Kim English get it?

Reaction Score
I feel like he gets mentioned pretty regularly in national coach of the year conversations, I've just taken the lack of talk about BE coach of the year conversation during our games to mean it's a formality at this point

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This is voted on by the coaches, right? Well, not a single coach in the league picked UConn to win the regular season, and we're comfortably in first, so doesn't that mean we outperformed their expectations?

Reaction Score
I feel like he gets mentioned pretty regularly in national coach of the year conversations, I've just taken the lack of talk about BE coach of the year conversation during our games to mean it's a formality at this point
Not too many options there either, DH should be in the mox, Lamont Paris probably has the lead

Reaction Score
Gotta be DH or Thad.
But why Thad? Because he has butler as a middling team? Why not DH. As he took the same middling team from a bad conference and returned it, not to the middle of the pack ,but back on top in a short time.

Reaction Score
But why Thad? Because he has butler as a middling team? Why not DH. As he took the same middling team from a bad conference and returned it, not to the middle of the pack ,but back on top in a short time.
Because we weren’t middling last year, and Butler was expected to be 2nd/3rd bottom of the league.

Any mention of where we were 5 years ago is pointless because it has no bearing on this award.

Reaction Score
What is the argument for anyone else?
Seton Hall was picked 9th preseason and they're currently in 4th with a game tonight to be tied for 3rd.
Butler was picked 10th and they're currently tied for 6th (and could finish higher).

If either Thad or Shaheen finish in 3rd, they have a good shot to win, especially if UConn only wins the league by a game or two. If UConn wins the league by 3+ games, Hurley will definitely win, possibly at 2 games as well.

Reaction Score
Because we weren’t middling last year, and Butler was expected to be 2nd/3rd bottom of the league.

Any mention of where we were 5 years ago is pointless because it has no bearing on this award.
Butler was picked 10th and they are a game out of being 9th. Which, based on the schedule, is likely where they will be by Sunday night.

Reaction Score
I am hearing a lot of names but not a lot about Danny Hurley. We were picked either 3 or 4 by the coaches and have dominated. But he does not get mentioned as a leading candidate by the talking heads. How is that possible? To me it is not even a question. Danny Hurley as things stand right now is by far the best coach in the BE this year. Time to start getting the word out!
I wouldn't put much credence in what they say. Great band but I don't think they know much about college hoops.

Hurley 2024

Reaction Score
Butler was picked 10th and they are a game out of being 9th. Which, based on the schedule, is likely where they will be by Sunday night.
They beat Creighton at Creighton, probably unfair to assume they lose at home to them.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Once Mike Brey joined the Big East he won more COY awards than the GOAT

3-0

He even won COY in 2011. The same year Jimmer Fredette won POY

Forgive me, but I don't care much about popularity contest awards. I like WINNING more

Reaction Score

For sure. But following up a championship with an even stronger regular season after losing what we lost … I mean. Cmon.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Since Wednesday when the thread was started there has been more information on this topic than there was up to that day. Good to see that BE coach of the year is now looking good. If he wins national coach of the year I mean he has to be BE coach of the year. I did not read the whole article but I have not seen any other BE coaches in the conversation for national coach of the year. I just remember feeling so proud when JC won that award. Just think that was 1990 and he never won another. But I do believe it is a popularity award. We were a cute story in 1990 and after a decade of stepping on throats but coming up short by the time we won it in 1999 there was no way he was going to win another.

caw

Reaction Score
People love a story. A team projected bottom tier exceeding expectations will almost always get a coach more pub than a team expected to be great, being great.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Can we have a thread about UConn where someone isn’t complaining about the lack of respect UConn gets? If you have to keep reminding people that you are the king, then you are not the king.

UConn doesn’t have to remind anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom