Big East Coach Hot Seat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Coach Hot Seat

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You could also term this as "what's the earliest you could imagine this coach getting fired?" I actually think the BE is not going to have a lot of coaching turnover in the near future, only a few spots.

Never (will leave on their terms)
Wright
McDermott

3-5 years (would need a consistent downturn in performance)
Hurley
Cooley
Shaka
Willard
Steele
Stubblefield

1-2 years (needs to pick it up; fanbase/admin not patient)
Anderson
Jordan

Tomorrow (demonstrated poor track record, given enough chances)
Ewing

This is a better way to look at it. My main criticism of the OP list is McDermott being far too low. He's one of the best coaches in the country. His mistake was overblown due to tensions at the time. I think it's forgotten at this point. It would surface if he tried to leave, so he's not going anywhere.

Hurley and Cooley have a chance to move to never with some post season success. As noted elsewhere, Cooley could be hired away. Hurley's biggest challenge is his temper.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hurley has to be ahead of Shaka. Neither school is anywhere close to having the thought of firing either.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Its amazing how the PC fanbase is about to run this guy off to Maryland. Amazing.

Reaction Score
I'd consider moving Danny up to the top group. No way we're getting rid of another coach for a long time after having to pay off KO and based on everything I've read, his players love him. He's getting better and although he has some in-game head farts, overall he's put together competitive teams and will continue to do so. It took Jay Wirght a long time to mature into the coach he is, I assume DH is going to have a long tenure here.
Hurley is fine for now, but not untouchable.

If we don't go on a run here, lose in the first round, and then next year is kind of the same, ho-hum low seed, and then a few years of missing the Tournament, he would be out. That's why I say 3-5 years.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Let's see your odds. You certainly would have to offer some.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

There is a difference between "sure" in conjecture, and a monetary bet. I would be stupid to bet money on Cooley going elsewhere at even odds. There are too many scenarios that work in favor of him staying. You don't take me for stupid do you? Give me some odds and we can discuss.

Reaction Score
If you believe their outgoing AD he said Michigan offered him the job. I would think if he didn't take that job what job would he take? He loves Providence and their fanbase seems to like him and they apparently don't care if he wins in the tournament. So why go to another job where he might have to meet some expectations?

Reaction Score
If you believe their outgoing AD he said Michigan offered him the job. I would think if he didn't take that job what job would he take? He loves Providence and their fanbase seems to like him and they apparently don't care if he wins in the tournament. So why go to another job where he might have to meet some expectations?
If his ultimate goal is to win a championship it will be easier at other places than Providence, but like you said the job security at Providence might be much more important to him.

Reaction Score
Cooley isn’t going anywhere. He’s a providence guy (born there/from there) through and through. He’s a great coach and he wants to be and stay at PC till his career is over

Reaction Score
@nelsonmuntz, you're pretty spot on, except for the Willard comment. Seton Hall doesn't want to lose him to Louisville, et al.

Ewing's seat is very hot, but with Thompson's tradition and his ability to break racial barriers, I gotta expect Georgetown to have a black coach for the foreseeable future. Amaker makes a ton of sense, but I know he loves his job at Harvard.

Reaction Score
Cooley isn’t going anywhere. He’s a providence guy (born there/from there) through and through. He’s a great coach and he wants to be and stay at PC till his career is over
He's a fine coach but great? Shouldn't he at least make one sweet 16 before calling him great

Reaction Score
No, it won’t be.
that's fair! but you don't think there will be people around the university questioning hurley if this team goes 2-4 over the last six, loses in the first round of the bet, and then the first round of the ncaa? that's all i meant by a "warm seat". barring something completely unexpected and non-basketball-related, he obviously isn't getting canned in the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
I'd consider moving Danny up to the top group. No way we're getting rid of another coach for a long time after having to pay off KO and based on everything I've read, his players love him. He's getting better and although he has some in-game head farts, overall he's put together competitive teams and will continue to do so. It took Jay Wirght a long time to mature into the coach he is, I assume DH is going to have a long tenure here.

It's embarrassing that Hurley wasn't listed as untouchable.

Reaction Score
PC's had a great year and was looking good last year as well but let's pump the brakes a bit on Cooley. Let's see how things play out this season and how he rebuilds after bringing in the upperclassmen portal guys this year.

Reaction Score
I think he’s a better coach than Danny and would do more with our current roster than our guy has.
You might be right but I don't think he's a great coach either. Of course Hurley has twice as many tournament wins as Cooley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom