Big East Coach Hot Seat | The Boneyard

Big East Coach Hot Seat

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson's Hot Seat Ranking:

Untouchable:

Villanova-Jay Wright - he could show up to work in shorts and a tshirt and not get fired. He leaves when he wants to leave.

Providence-Ed Cooley - Not a great recruiter, but PC knows they will never find anyone better.

Marquette-Shaka Smart - Cleaned up the dumpster fire left behind by the floor slapper in one offseason. Has a good shot at Big East COY.

Safe:

UConn-Danny Hurley - Talent level is improving and good vibe around the program. Needs to get better on gameday.

Xavier-Travis Steele - I am not a fan of Steele, but he has not done anything to get himself in trouble at a program that is pretty loyal to its coaches. Good recruiting class coming in too.

Saint Johns-Mike Anderson - He needs to bring in some talent next season.

Depaul-Tony Stubblefield - Depaul will give him a few years to turn the program around.

Creighton-Greg McDermott - I was surprised he didn't get fired last year, but he is a really good coach and Creighton is not an easy place to win. If he survived last season, it will take a lot to get him canned.

Not sure:

Seton Hall-Kevin Willard - this one is a wildcard. I think he is a good coach, and Seton Hall will be really good if Aiken returns. But this is Willard's 12th year at the Hall and he has never gotten to the second weekend of the tournament. He has had some good teams too. With like 30-40% of the ACC looking for a new coach at the end of this season, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a situation similar to Smart leaving Texas last season, where everyone decides it is best if the coach moves on, especially if Seton Hall doesn't make it out of the first round again. If he makes the Sweet 16, then Seton Hall may try to lock him up long term.

In trouble:

Butler-LaVall Jordan - everyone seems to like the guy and he is a good game coach, but this is his 5th year, he has only made one tourney (although he probably would have made it in 2020) and the talent level just isn't Big East caliber. I could see Butler moving on.

Georgetown-Patrick Ewing - he is going 0-whatever in the Big East this year in year 5, after only making 1 tournament in the first 4 years (he wasn't going to make it in 2020) and having all kinds of roster issues. If this was anyone but Patrick Ewing at Georgetown, it wouldn't even be a question.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking a lot about the Georgetown job. When they're good, that's a top 15 job in the country. I'm nervous about if they were to hire a young unproven guy... high potential, but a lot of risk. We see what happened with Auburn when they hired a really successful coach with questionable past and I keep going back to Sean Miller. He's taken a little break, I'm not sure if he's a good fit for Georgetown but someone's gonna hire him. ncaa has sown they don't really care about that stuff once it's in the past. I think he's someone who deserves a long and hard look; he could turn them into a top 15 team again. There's also a ton of young, smaller school guys that stick but I was curious what people thought about Miller and if that's a feasible option

Reaction Score
I think Willard is safe for now but they really seemed to have underperformed this year. Other years they've been really battling Nova for the top spot in the Big East. They likely would've been a top 3 seed if a 2020 tournament happened.

Jordan is definitely in trouble but he seems like a great guy. Really wish he could turn it around there but I'm not too optimistic.

I would put Anderson in the "Warm seat" category. It seems the Johnnies fan base is split on firing him this season or giving him another year from what I've seen. I think he gets another year but if they're not at least an 8 seed in the tourney next season he's probably gone.

I'm optimistic about Stubblefield. This isn't the DePaul team of years past, they can really push to be a middle of the pack contender in the next couple years. We've already seen them pick off Xavier and Hall this season, plus they took Providence to OT over the weekend.

Georgetown needs to move on from Ewing. Coaches who were stars as players rarely succeed at their alma maters and Pat seems to be following suit. GTown need to go outside the family and get a up-and-coming mid-major coach like we did if they want to get back to where they once were.

Reaction Score
In trouble:

Butler-LaVall Jordan - everyone seems to like the guy and he is a good game coach, but this is his 5th year, he has only made one tourney (although he probably would have made it in 2020) and the talent level just isn't Big East caliber. I could see Butler moving on.

Georgetown-Patrick Ewing - he is going 0-whatever in the Big East this year in year 5, after only making 1 tournament in the first 4 years (he wasn't going to make it in 2020) and having all kinds of roster issues. If this was anyone but Patrick Ewing at Georgetown, it wouldn't even be a question.
Some guys we should look out for are Grant McCasland and Todd Golden. Maybe Robert Jones but I'm not sure he's big-time enough for Georgetown. I don't think Mike Rhoades moves the needle enough either. Georgetown needs to go big game hunting imo but there's a ton of young, talented coaches that will get a shot at a legit program sooner rather than later

Reaction Score
Creighton made the Sweet 16 last season? Why would Greg have gotten fired lol

Reaction Score
i think mcdermott belongs in the first group, for the reasons that you provided. they obviously had a window to fire him last year (and it would have been justified) but the reality is that he is a pretty phenomenal coach and if he survived the controversy he won't be going anywhere. what they have done this year with freshman and a few scrap-heap guys (including a dii transfer) is pretty incredible, on par with marquette in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking a lot about the Georgetown job. When they're good, that's a top 15 job in the country. I'm nervous about if they were to hire a young unproven guy... high potential, but a lot of risk. We see what happened with Auburn when they hired a really successful coach with questionable past and I keep going back to Sean Miller. He's taken a little break, I'm not sure if he's a good fit for Georgetown but someone's gonna hire him. ncaa has sown they don't really care about that stuff once it's in the past. I think he's someone who deserves a long and hard look; he could turn them into a top 15 team again. There's also a ton of young, smaller school guys that stick but I was curious what people thought about Miller and if that's a feasible option
They should hire Mark Turgeon.

Reaction Score
There was the whole "racist" remark controversy. Forgot exactly what he said but he was pretty close to getting canned towards the end of the season. IIRC he even offered to step down if his players wanted him to.

Reaction Score
I really think Chris Collins is better than the record at NU in the B1G. (Thank you Jim Parcells). I loved it there as a 12 week corporate sponsored grad program attendee and Chicago is an absolute fave.

There is no need to win attitude in the major D1 sports IMHO. Less than Stanford, more than Vandy maybe. He can deal with the academics and Georgetown loved basking in the old BE glory days. Not too old... it's WTV.

Reaction Score
he lost the majority of his team (including the program's best-ever recruit) after making an (at-best) boneheaded comment at a time when tensions around that kind of a language are at a high-point.

i think they probably made the right decision to keep him, but i imagine a fair number of other programs wouldn't have.

Reaction Score
You could also term this as "what's the earliest you could imagine this coach getting fired?" I actually think the BE is not going to have a lot of coaching turnover in the near future, only a few spots.

Never (will leave on their terms)
Wright
McDermott

3-5 years (would need a consistent downturn in performance)
Hurley
Cooley
Shaka
Willard
Steele
Stubblefield

1-2 years (needs to pick it up; fanbase/admin not patient)
Anderson
Jordan

Tomorrow (demonstrated poor track record, given enough chances)
Ewing

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Willard is safe for now but they really seemed to have underperformed this year. Other years they've been really battling Nova for the top spot in the Big East. They likely would've been a top 3 seed if a 2020 tournament happened.

Jordan is definitely in trouble but he seems like a great guy. Really wish he could turn it around there but I'm not too optimistic.

I would put Anderson in the "Warm seat" category. It seems the Johnnies fan base is split on firing him this season or giving him another year from what I've seen. I think he gets another year but if they're not at least an 8 seed in the tourney next season he's probably gone.

I'm optimistic about Stubblefield. This isn't the DePaul team of years past, they can really push to be a middle of the pack contender in the next couple years. We've already seen them pick off Xavier and Hall this season, plus they took Providence to OT over the weekend.

Georgetown needs to move on from Ewing. Coaches who were stars as players rarely succeed at their alma maters and Pat seems to be following suit. GTown need to go outside the family and get a up-and-coming mid-major coach like we did if they want to get back to where they once were.

St. Johns has the stupidest fans in the Big East, so I am not surprised that some want Anderson fired in his third season. SJU gave Roberts (who sucked), Lavin and Mullin at least 4 seasons each, so I don't see Anderson as being in real trouble yet. SJU has to upgrade its talent though.

Simple competence in Lincoln Park should get a team into perennial bubble team status with the local talent available, but Depaul has been bad for so long that Stubblefield is essentially starting from scratch with recruiting pipelines in the city.

Another problem with Butler is that 6 of the top 9 players on this year's team are Seniors. Some may come back, but it also feels like this may be a good time for a fresh start.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
McDermott is not going anywhere. Creighton is annually among the attendance leaders in the NCAA and he is a winner. He has talked through his faux pas last year and has come out of it OK. Players do like playing for him and he has a high rating amongst Blue Jay alumni and fans. NBE COY will be between Greg and Shaka - they produced similar results under mirror like situations. If there isn't co-winners, I am sure the voters will lean to Shaka
I would classify Cooley as In Trouble for PC but not due to results. There are going to be programs in the ACC and other P5 schools that are going to be waving huge bucks and their facilities at him - PC wont be able to touch the offers. Let's see if he is as loyal to PC as he claims.
Jordan - a very interesting situation - the kids and the fans love the guy. Will the administration stick with him? I understand Basketball is king in Indiana but to be quite honest, without the Stevens years, Butler is not a major player. Not sure who they can attract.
Georgetown - Patrick Ewing is a Gtown folk hero and won a completely unexpected NBE tournament title last season. Does that cover for a winless NBE season? Gtown alumni and their BoD protect their own. Most of the players who left for other programs have indicated that they left on their and not because of PE, however, he has experienced more than his share of high level players running away. I like PE and hope he is retained, this is a weird situation.
Mike Anderson isnt going anywhere before next season. His team has not played together as a unit due to injuries and illness most of the season. He gets the most out of his players and players like the style of play he promotes. A few 4* pick ups and he will be fine.
Travis Steele - as vanilla as they come - hasn't done anything that would cause a call for his departure and hasn't really done anything that would have P5 come to get him. He recruits well more than not. He's not moving
Stubblefield - just what the doctor ordered for DePaul. Great teacher and Xs and Os guy. Watch out for DePaul.
Willard - still in the he'll call the shots on whether he stays or leaves category.
Wright - he is at Nova - nuff said
DH - entering an important year 5 next year - Xs and Os has to improve as well as overall game coaching. He can recruit with the best coaches in the country but it's what you do with them when they put on the uniform that counts. AD David Benedict won't move on him unless all hell breaks loose - can't afford egg on his face.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think the Hall would get rid of Willard. They are enjoying their second most successful run in program history. Had the covid season not ended they could have been a final four contender having the best player on the floor in most any game.

Reaction Score
Random but if Ewing was fired, is there any chance Denver Anglin would de-commit? Loved him as a recruit and I'm sure Hurley would still love to have him

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Random but if Ewing was fired, is any chance Denver Anglin would de-commit? Loved him as a recruit and I'm sure Hurley would still love to have him
Yep. We need another shot making guard.

Reaction Score
The Ewing thing is complicated. His original contract was set to expire at the end of the 22-23 season, but the NY post reported that Georgetown extended his contract last April. So you have the double whammy of firing a school legend coupled with a hefty payout. Seems like if they can't come to a mutual decision that he should move on, he may be there for a while

Reaction Score
Georgetown cares about their reputation too much to dip into the Sean Miller FBI mess. Turgeon would be a great choice tbh, same exact recruiting area as UMD and the two programs have pretty similar history.

Reaction Score
Honestly I feel like Steele's seat is a lottt warmer than people think. This year will be his first NCAA bid in 4 years and he took over a program that was fresh off a 1(!!) seed in the tournament, so it wasn't a rebuild like Hurley or Shaka.

They have a top 20 class coming in next year so I doubt he gets fired this year, but if they underachieve next season I think he's gone.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'd consider moving Danny up to the top group. No way we're getting rid of another coach for a long time after having to pay off KO and based on everything I've read, his players love him. He's getting better and although he has some in-game head farts, overall he's put together competitive teams and will continue to do so. It took Jay Wirght a long time to mature into the coach he is, I assume DH is going to have a long tenure here.

Reaction Score
I'd consider moving Danny up to the top group. No way we're getting rid of another coach for a long time after having to pay off KO and based on everything I've read, his players love him. He's getting better and although he has some in-game head farts, overall he's put together competitive teams and will continue to do so. It took Jay Wirght a long time to mature into the coach he is, I assume DH is going to have a long tenure here.
as much as i love hurley and believe in him, if the team stumbles to the finish line and loses in the first round his seat will be warm. i don't think you can say the same thing for wright, mcdermott, or even cooley.

Reaction Score
Tomorrow (demonstrated poor track record, given enough chances)
Ewing
Goes to show you that you can be a top notch player, but that does not mean you will be a top notch coach. Just look to our recent past for the lesson.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
as much as i love hurley and believe in him, if the team stumbles to the finish line and loses in the first round his seat will be warm. i don't think you can say the same thing for wright, mcdermott, or even cooley.
1. We're not firing anyone. There's no money to make a change. 2. I really didn't mean to directly compare him to JW, as you don't fire a HOF coach and Danny's not there, I just remember Jay not producing past theh 1st or second weekend with some of his best teams. iirc it took JC a while to get over the tourney hump. 3. I think all his progress has been positive, so unless something weird come out, I think he's includible in the top tier.

Reaction Score
I agree that I don't know if Hall ever get rid of Willard per say, but the Shaka situation from last year could very well pan out where it's a mutual departure. With that said, would Willard want to go full rebuild in the ACC at either Pitt or Louisville, both where he has past connections? Those programs certainly have a higher ceiling than Hall and one could argue Hall's current ceiling is not making it to the Sweet 16, so Willard could see it as a good change of scenery. Both being current dumpster fires though makes them very unattractive for a sitting coach with a (relatively) healthy program -- at least Marquette wasn't left in a terrible place for Shaka.

I feel bad for Ewing, he certainly deserved better than this but at the end of the day he was killed by players transferring out for whatever reason, which at the end of the day is on him. Georgetown certainly has to move on after this year -- and it will be a very attractive job given its location for recruiting and academics. This is a tricky hire because I think they'll go someone with a bigger track record. While a Todd Golden or Ryan Odom is nice on paper, both guys haven't had prolong success -- yes Golden is killing it but has never won a tourney game, and while Odom has he's only in his first year in a non-one bid league. I could see them getting someone from the A-10 -- an Anthony Grant/Mike Rhoades/Chris Mooney could be nice fits -- not the sexiest names but they have run stable, successful programs, which is what Georgetown needs. Hell, I'd even try for a Wes Miller play but I doubt he leaves Cincy after one year/with the B12 on the horizon. On the assistant fronts, Jason Williford has been a UVA for the past 13 years -- he certainly should know how to run a program at this point.

As for Butler, the talent is certainly an issue. Jordan should be recruiting better than he is and quite frankly, he's never proved that he's worth keeping around. I think there are a lot of good candidates they could snag for this gig too -- Drew Valentine at Loyola, Matt McMahon at Murray St, Tod Kowalczyk at Toledo and Lamont Paris at Chattanooga are just ones off the top of my head that would be upgrades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom