Big East Championship postgame presser | The Boneyard

Big East Championship postgame presser

Reaction Score
Was any explanation given for UConn players not going through the postgame handshake line? I’ve never seen them fail to do that.

Reaction Score
Was any explanation given for UConn players not going through the postgame handshake line? I’ve never seen them fail to do that.
Villanova ran off the court asap as far as I could tell.

Reaction Score
I think they all went through the line of only our coaches.
Lou, Dorka and Aaliyah were, as expected, classy, well-spoken and fine reps of their team during the presser.

Geno? He's definitely a kinder, gentler man than he has been before. That he can still get it done as coach and present himself this way is much appreciated by me.

Reaction Score
We were celebrating when the buzzer sounded and Nova ran off the court shortly after that. I saw the coaches shaking hands.

I’m not too bent out of shape about it though; for 27 minutes we just dominated them in every phase of the game. I’d probably want to not wait around for the confetti to fall too.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
When I watched Wash. State defeat UCLA they celebrated for several minutes as a team similar to what we did and UCLA waited for them to finish and them the teams did the high fives. I guess Nova didn’t feel like hanging around. I think I have seen that before where coaches were the only ones in the handshake line after UCONN won a big game. I don‘t think it’s as big a deal as it’s being made out.

Reaction Score
When I watched Wash. State defeat UCLA they celebrated for several minutes as a team similar to what we did and UCLA waited for them to finish and them the teams did the high fives. I guess Nova didn’t feel like hanging around. I think I have seen that before where coaches were the only ones in the handshake line after UCONN won a big game. I don‘t think it’s as big a deal as it’s being made out.
I think this is it. You know the championship team is going to celebrate, so the decision is really on Villanova if they want to watch and wait, and I can see a team going either way on that one. Not a big deal but it was really Villanova's decision.

Reaction Score
Old fashioned, I admit. But I think giving honor due is an important thing.
I can’t remember a non-NC game where the team didn’t do handshakes.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Is your memory THAT good? We have played an awful lot of those. Conference championships and Regionals are usually pretty good celebrations. I really think it has happened before. It's just hard to remember when we celebrated so much that the other team had to wait. Lots of times winning was business as usual for us. Not so this season. There was a greater sense of satisfaction this time. If Nova stuck around we would have high fived them.

Reaction Score
at the end the UCONN players met for a quick huddle/cheer together while the UCONN coaches already were going thru the line with Villanova, you can see when UCONN broke their huddle they turned to go shake Villanova, but Villanova had already gone thru the UCONN coaches, and were leaving the court!
There was no disrespect on either side!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

I found one already. The Uconn - UCF Sweet 16 game from last year. Don't know if it was UCF who left right away or if it was mutual, but the coaches didn't shake either. This really happens a lot, it just hasn't involved UCONN very much. You're the only one who seems to be concerned about it. Anyway, read this locked thread from last year.

UCF Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I found one already. The Uconn - UCF Sweet 16 game from last year. Don't know if it was UCF who left right away or if it was mutual, but the coaches didn't shake either. This really happens a lot, it just hasn't involved UCONN very much. You're the only one who seems to be concerned about it. Anyway, read this locked thread from last year.

UCF Postgame Thread
We’ve always been classy. Why would we stop?

Reaction Score
Some will not like my comment. And that's ok.

This handshake thnig after the game is much ado about nothing.
Your comment isn't a like or not like thing. Too much like/not like these days. It is a difference of opinion with a case to be made either way. Human beings like ritual. Ritual can reinforce positives or negatives. The ritual in this case of high fiving your opponent is a visual that says, "We just fought hard, within the lines, according to the rules, and our side honors your side for what you put into it." An outward sign of good sportsmanship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom