Big East bowl free-for-all could happen | The Boneyard

Big East bowl free-for-all could happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good article about the BE teams and bowl possibilities.
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/53142/big-east-bowl-free-for-all-could-happen
2011-12 Bowl schedule pecking order.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6672862
1. Big East champion goes to the BCS
2. Champs Sports Bowl - 12/29, Orlando, FL vs ACC
3. Belk Bowl - 12/27, Charlotte, NC vs ACC vs ACC
4. New Era Pinstripe Bowl - 12/30, Bronx, NY vs Big 12
5. BBVA Compass Bowl (formerly the Papajohns Bowl) - 1/7, Birmingham, AL vs SEC
6. Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl - 12/20, St. Petersburg, FL vs C-USA

Reaction Score
Two notes with all the oversimplistic analysis.

1. The Champs Bowl has the right to invite Notre Dame this year, and almost certainly will given its options. ND, however, does not have to come. It is likely that the Big XII won't fill its slot in the Pinstripe Bowl, and ND also has a contract with the Pinstripe of some sort if the Big XII doesn't fill it. Look for the Yankees to make a big push to get the Irish, even if it means writing a bigger check. And I think the Irish playing a NY area team in a packed Yankee Stadium has to be of interest to them.

2. The deal with the Compass Bowl and the O'Brady's Bowl is more complicated. If the SEC fills its slots in both the Liberty and the Compass, its last two slots, then the deal is as simple as written above. It is likely, however, that the SEC won't fill both slots. If the SEC can't, the Liberty and the Compass can each take a Big East team, one to play an SEC team and the other to play the CUSA champ (unless, of course, the CUSA champ goes to the BCS). The Big East would, by contract, not have a slot in St Pete's then, but if the Big East has another bowl eligible team it is assumed that St Pete would want it. Meaning three Big East teams could go to the Liberty, Compass and O'Brady's per this one contract.

Reaction Score
Bizlaw, under your scenario, if Notre Dame is eligible for the Pinstripe Bowl, Would the fact that they've had little success against Big East teams recently be a plus factor or a detriment to luring them? Would they want a chance of "retribution" in the Big Apple against Syracuse, UConn, or USF, or would they be seeking a New Year's Day date in say, the Cotton Bowl in Jerryworld?

Reaction Score
1. I don't think they have any tie ins with any bowls other than the Champs and Pinstripe. They used to have one with the Cotton, but they never (in the BCS era) went there and I don't think it still exists.

2. I don't know all the fine points of every contract, but between going to Orlando to play the ACC #3 (say, Florida State, Clemson or Georgia Tech) or getting to play in Yankee Stadium, with all of their history there, against a Rutgers, UConn or Syracuse, with the subway alumni there and all New Jersey high school potential recruits there, I would have to think they would seriously consider it. I don't think the fact that they have lost a few times to Big East schools will play much of a role. I'm sure they don't think they could lose to any of Rutgers, UConn or Syracuse.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't disagree BL, but I do think you are underestimating the weather factor and FL recruiting. Kelly has an issue in his relationship with his players. I think they might prefer FL.

I do think ND grabs the bigger check, though.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I don't disagree BL, but I do think you are underestimating the weather factor and FL recruiting. Kelly has an issue in his relationship with his players. I think they might prefer FL.

I do think ND grabs the bigger check, though.

ND does what generates more money. Metro New York alumni who want to go to the game make contributions that dwarf the differences that the bowls itself pay.

In any event, this is a seed that the Big East Commissioner's office should be planting while we see how events proceed in the next two weeks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My best case scenario would be for UConn to play ND in the Pinstripe Bowl. My worst case scenario would be for us to somehow to back into the BCS bowl.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Don't think for second that conference politics won't have an influence as to which teams go where. If all the teams are basically bunched together within one game of each other, then the bowls get to pick their team among all of the Big East teams. Look for the ACC and B12 to politic for their new entries (SyraPitt and WVU) to get invites over the teams staying in the Big East. We all know how much pull the Big East has in college football (none), so I am sure you will end up seeing SyraPitt and WVU get the better invites (although WVU would have gotten it anyway given their traveling history).

Reaction Score
So once again ND would be unhelpful to it's BE brethren. They have been such good partners. Put 'em up against LSU in BCS NC Game. Ahhh, the nostalgia of a has been program.

Reaction Score
My best case scenario would be for UConn to play ND in the Pinstripe Bowl. My worst case scenario would be for us to somehow to back into the BCS bowl.
Shouldn't the worst case scenario be no bowl game at all?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ND does what generates more money. Metro New York alumni who want to go to the game make contributions that dwarf the differences that the bowls itself pay.

In any event, this is a seed that the Big East Commissioner's office should be planting while we see how events proceed in the next two weeks.

It is an interesting question for the byzantine (can I say that) calculation process that ND appears to employ sometimes. I have no idea what they would do. My gut tells me that they would rather not associate with the BE unless absolutely necessary. Ergo, they end up in the Champs Bowl. Wealthy NY alumni like to be in Florida in December. I'll take two Uconn wins and let the chips fall.

Reaction Score
So once again ND would be unhelpful to it's BE brethren. They have been such good partners.

How are they being unhelpful? If they played in the Pinstripe bowl instead they would be helping the Big East by freeing up the Champs Bowl. They don't take a BE slot in that game, they take a B12 slot.

The Big East doesn't get the Champs Bowl without the ND exception. We needed them, and in return they get the opportunity to go once every four years if they are eligible. So what exactly are they doing to hurt the Big East?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if we beat lville the ruty, then nyc has to like us. no? we beat ruty/cuse and have 6 wins....

Reaction Score
i know it doesnt mean anything but i remember many of the yankees during march madness last year talking to the press about how the whole clubhouse was rooting for UConn to win the tournament after the BET. maybe the steinbrenners like us better than rutgers.

Reaction Score
Let's win the 2 games, first, and then let's win at least a share of the conference championship.

Not stressed at all about what bowl we make, given that we win 2 games. Charlotte isn't particularly convenient due to the proximity to Xmas but other than that, I can make the best out of almost all options.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I realizing this is probably half kidding, but seriously "Backing" into another BE Championship by winning 5 straight conference games and getting to play in the Orange Bowl. That's just so horrible.

Save yourself the Big East "reputation" rant. ESPN and the media are never going to "respect" UConn Football or the Big East unless we start winning BCS games. If somebody is going to the BCS from the Big East you better be sure as hell hoping it is us.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What's comical is that if UConn wins out and goes to a BCS bowl, the ACC and BigXII would be getting 3 teams that couldn't even win a conference over a 7-5 UConn team.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
UConn vs ND in the Pinstripe Bowl?? I like it!
IF we somehow won the Big East, I feel like we would/should decline our bid to the BCS bowl. It's for the best out of college football.

Reaction Score
If by some great good fortune we happen to earn the BCS Bowl bid, there is no freaking way we should ever turn it down. For a guy named Diehard, you sure are willing to roll over easy.

Reaction Score
Let's win the 2 games, first, and then let's win at least a share of the conference championship.

Not stressed at all about what bowl we make, given that we win 2 games. Charlotte isn't particularly convenient due to the proximity to Xmas but other than that, I can make the best out of almost all options.

Pretty sure we're talking 3 games here and that puts us on a little winning streak. It also means we will be improving going into the bowl game against probably an ACC powerhouse?!? You sure you don't want to take that opportunity? I don't consider it backing in and will do everything possible to attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom