Big East & Big 12 talk merger | The Boneyard

Big East & Big 12 talk merger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think every major news organization has copied and pasted that same article all day.

Reaction Score
The way they made it look it was like the AP was breaking the news. Haven't seen it posted on here. Maybe I missed it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is going to happen soon after Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech leave for the Pac 12. The separation penalties are going to be very, very large. I think this is the right move to smoke out if there really is any support for UConn to the ACC or anywhere else, because once this league is formed, it will be for a very long time.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...st-big-12-talking-possible-merger-sources-say

Multiple Big 12 sources told ESPN.com that the Big 12 would be the home, not the Big East, in any possible merger of the two football conferences.

The sources said that if Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State were to leave the Big 12 and the five remaining schools didn't have a landing in the ACC, SEC or Big Ten then they would move to absorb remaining Big East schools, not the other way around.

One Big 12 source said the reason it would absorb the Big East is the conference's ability to secure a television deal, currently with Fox, and three more years with ESPN/ABC -- although a new configuration could open it up to a new arrangement.

Reaction Score
Does it really even matter? UConn would be using the Big12 as a temporary harbor.

Reaction Score
Any port in a storm . . .
+1. It's nearing 2am in the bar, last cast unles you want to sleep alone tonight. So once your firends already left with ACC girl, and the B10 girl is not giving you the time of day, ND girl you bought drinks for all night hoping you'd get her drunk enough - but she'd rahter go home by herself, your left with the choice of either:
the B12 girl who has a marginal "butter face" but is kinda cute, pretty cool and a "giver";
the CUSA girl who has a face for radio, heavy all the way around, but she does have a nice rack, some cool piercings and likes to party;
the MAC girl who is just big, has a hair lip, a spastic colon, has summer teeth (summer pointing this way, summer pointing that way), and is mean, but you know you'll at least have a warm bed to sleep in;
or you go home all alone and take care of yourself.

Since ACC and B10 girl are already gone, I'll tak B12 grl in this scenario.

Reaction Score
How can we or Rutgers or WVU have any kind of role in merger talks while we are waiting to bolt. I understand the need to be proactive and all but there is no telling what the landscape is going to be. The big 10 ACC and SEC are always better options than anything that is leftover. There can't be any kind of serious talks without knowing what pieces are left. So I don't give a ccrap what these "sources" say. It's all conjecture and BS

Reaction Score
Whether you call the new amalgam the Big XII or the Big East only matters to those who work in one conference office or the other. The problem is the time pressure on everyone to not get left out. If we knew UConn, RU and WVU were staying, I could see the basketball schools keeping the model and just replacing syracuse and pitt with Big XII leftovers. However, with those three schools publicly courting other leagues, I can't see the basketball onlies playing along, pushing the football schools instead to the Big XII.

My fear is the following: if Herbst opened her mouth without having a firm belief that we would get into the ACC or Big Ten, has she risked the Big XII taking us, and extending to the Atlantic, because they're afraid we're on our way out on day one? Or is the merged league so desperate it will take RU and us anyway knowing we don't want to be there?

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Whether you call the new amalgam the Big XII or the Big East only matters to those who work in one conference office or the other. The problem is the time pressure on everyone to not get left out. If we knew UConn, RU and WVU were staying, I could see the basketball schools keeping the model and just replacing syracuse and pitt with Big XII leftovers. However, with those three schools publicly courting other leagues, I can't see the basketball onlies playing along, pushing the football schools instead to the Big XII.

My fear is the following: if Herbst opened her mouth without having a firm belief that we would get into the ACC or Big Ten, has she risked the Big XII taking us, and extending to the Atlantic, because they're afraid we're on our way out on day one? Or is the merged league so desperate it will take RU and us anyway knowing we don't want to be there?

BL, spot on!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There will always be a premium non-Mega Conference. A 5th wheel.

Even if Rutgers and WVU leave. And UConn. And Kansas. That would leave 7 and they'd be OK with the NCAA and keep their auto bid and all that good stuff.

The only immediate question is "Will Nova, UCF or Boise be 12?" My vote is for UCF. Go with lucky 19.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I favor calling it the BE 12+ .

Reaction Score

This is exactly what I was wondering but ultimately, I think they take UCONN, Rutgers and WVU because they will improve tv revenue. Should one or all leave, they could replace them with plan B options because none of the schools that didn't make the cut this time will say no when asked in a a year or two.

Reaction Score
West Virginia is the interesting player in all this...maybe a bit under the radar...I've heard that Florida State really wants another football school, and is pushing for someone other than UCONN or Rutgers since neither really fits that role. West Virginia might though. On the other side, the Duke/UNC/Wake cabal in particular are opposed for many rreasons including market, academics and various other things and are saying "we gave you your football school last time in Miami and A: they never lived up to the billing; and B: have been nothing but an embassment to the league. Not this time, bunky."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think UConn, Rutgers and WVU have days, not weeks, to figure out if they are in or out. The catastrophic risk is that Texas sticks around, adds TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati and USF to the Big 12, and WVU, UConn and Rutgers are screwed.

I think there should be a meeting set up with the Big East football teams for the next few business days where very punitive penalties will be imposed on any team that leaves in the future. $25MM departure fee, 3 year waiting period, etc. Then call the ACC and tell them the plan. If they are interested, they will move. If they aren't then UConn is protected.

Reaction Score

So you don't think Mizzou and Kansas will be trying to get out the 1st day this conference comes to exist? The "leftovers" will all be desperate. UConn and RU will have no problems getting into that mess of a conference. Herbst is doing the right thing. If not for ND trying to f8ck it up we would probably already be in the ACC.

Reaction Score
So you don't think Mizzou and Kansas will be trying to get out the 1st day this conference comes to exist? The "leftovers" will all be desperate. UConn and RU will have no problems getting into that mess of a conference. Herbst is doing the right thing. If not for ND trying to f8ck it up we would probably already be in the ACC.

You are probably right about the first part. I think I actually paid attention to something Waylon said.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

No one is leaving the next league for a while.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Exactly right... at that point in time the "left over" conference would be doing anything it could possibly do to maintain the image of respectability... and adding whatever BCS schools are left will do that far more than a few C-USA teams.

Reaction Score
No one is leaving the next league for a while.

Once the ACC and pac get to 16 EVERY team in that league would be on their knees for the Big 10 and SEC. Mizzou, Kansas, WVU, Ville, UConn and RU would all have a shot at getting into 1 of those conferences. We would be in the exact same position. The weakest conference and one that is a sinking ship from day 1.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Once the ACC and pac get to 16 EVERY team in that league would be on their knees for the Big 10 and SEC. Mizzou, Kansas, WVU, Ville, UConn and RU would all have a shot at getting into 1 of those conferences. We would be in the exact same position. The weakest conference and one that is a sinking ship from day 1.
I'm curious where the SEC goes from here... Texas A&M is going once the Big 12 dies... who else? Do they go right to 16 and nab Clemson, FSU, and one of Missouri and WVU? Does the ACC really need 4 more teams not 2? Or do we hit a holding pattern for 5 years and we get stuck playing Baylor and Iowa State?

We really need to get into the ACC... I used to think that a Big 12/Big East merger wouldn't be so bad... but that was before Pitt and 'Cuse jumped.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There is no indication that the ACC, SEC or Big 10 are going to 16 teams. It is possible, but if the ACC wanted to go to 16, it would have offered UConn and Rutgers already.

The next contract will be so punitive on departures that it will be very difficult to leave. It has to be.

Reaction Score
The next contract will be so punitive on departures that it will be very difficult to leave. It has to be.

That only happens if the schools want it to. If there is any chance that the ACC or B1G expand further (which there is, even if indications are that its not imminent), everyone in the new conference will be waiting for a better deal. Thus, I doubt that they agree to the fee. Like I said in another post, we should just call it the Prisoner's Dilemma Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom