Big East basketball on FoxSports | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Big East basketball on FoxSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you get through life ... you are always so "worst case" kind of thought guy.
I get through life just fine, Merry Sunshine. Here's the reality. Top 5 RPI in last year's Big East
UL-3, GTown 10, Marquette 12, Notre Dame-36.
AAC Memphis 14, temple 41, UConn 49, Cincy 50, UCF 102,. Playing worse teams makes it harder to generate a high RPI which makes it harder to get a high seed, and the worse the seed, the tougher it is to make a deep run. Since 1985, 76% of Elite 8 teams have been seeded 3 or better, 70% of Sweet 16 teams have. If you are seeded 5 instead of 3 because you were stuck playing half you games against Houston, SMU, ECU, Tulane etc your chance of getting out of the 2nd round went way down.

Attendance, by the way, is influenced by many things including a weak home schedule, but also because UConn has become a post-season program. frankly, the regular season doesn't mean all that much. Win 22 games, and wake us when the real season starts. Now that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not completely. I also think that College basketball hasn't done itself any favors by extending its season to the beginning of November. Up until the mid-90s most teams started the season after Thanksgiving. The "pre-season" tournaments were that week but you could only play in 1 every 3 years. then they opened it for everyone, and opened the season on November 15. this year we opened on November 8. My guess is that within a few years we'll be opening in October. The overlap means that you are expecting your fans to essentially spend all their free time going to UConn sporting events. And they won't do that. the fact that UConn has a highly successful Womens basketball program just adds to the problem. Next weekend is a case in point. Friday night Women are home vs UCDavis, Saturday afternoon football vs memphis and Saturday night mens basketball vs Maine. Now some of these teams have there own fan bases, but there is enough overlap in to make this a real problem when seasons overlap like they do this time of year. Extending the football season into early December and beginning the basketball season earlier and earlier in November just exacerbates the problem.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My view ... is that this is a 3-4 year lull. We have lost the "underdog" passion we had for the decade of the 1990s and extended a little into the last 2000+. Our core rabid MSG fanbase (that showed in force) has gotten older & I really don't think we have the young alums and CT fans nearly as urgent to see games. I am basically talking about myself ... you get so many other things going on (kids, kids etc) that going to every game and investing the time/money gets harder. IF ... Warde Manual doesn't have a pressing push to expand and energize our fanbase, he's not the leader I want. (and I actually think some of the later ideas ... hockey, playing in Bridgeport, etc ... are a beginning) I frankly think the Conference mess is a factor; but, not nearly the BIG thing that some think.

I don't think it is a question of conference affiliation as much as fans looking at a schedule and not seeing a lot of games they want to see. Warde can waive pom poms all he wants, but if we were in the OBE or had at least some regional rivals, fans would by tickets and come to the games. Why come to Loyola when there are still tickets available for the "marquee" games on the schedule? The more games there are that fans care about, the more fans show up for all the games.

Reaction Score
Putrid putrid ratings on FoxSports for college bball this week. They are getting worse, not better.

UConn's game on Friday night on ESPN2 was the second ranked show on the network for the entire week, and the top live sports broadcast for the entire week.

1,081,000 viewers.

Fox Sports BE ratings, meanwhile, continue to sink:
114,000 viewers on Wed. at 8 pm
106,000 Tues at 6
84,000 Fri. at 7 (up against ESPN and UConn)
54,000 Fri. at 9
36,000 Tues. at 8
31,000 Mon. at 7
1,000 viewers!! (one thousand) for Monday at 9. 3x as many fans watched this at home as attended RU basketball! Impressive.

On NBCSN, MLS playoff game did 241,000, Ivy League football did 129,000 viewers

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Putrid putrid ratings on FoxSports for college bball this week. They are getting worse, not better.

UConn's game on Friday night on ESPN2 was the second ranked show on the network, and the top live sports broadcast.
1,081,000 viewers.

Fox Sports BE ratings, meanwhile, continue to sink:
114,000 viewers on Wed. at 8 pm
106,000 Tues at 6
84,000 Fri. at 7 (up against ESPN and UConn)
54,000 Fri. at 9
36,000 Tues. at 8
31,000 Mon. at 7
1,000 viewers!! (one thousand) for Monday at 9. 3x as many fans watched this at home as attended RU basketball! Impressive.

On NBCSN, MLS playoff game did 241,000, Ivy League football did 129,000 viewers

And to think, they are on national TV, and for 1/4 of our football games we were only available on the Internet.

Upstater, what is your point? Are you arguing that conference networks are a bad idea? Every major conference would disagree with you. Do you just hate the basketball schools? That is your problem, not theirs.

By every measure possible, they are winning, and the AAC is losing. So no matter how much you think you show that they suck, we suck worse.

Reaction Score
And to think, they are on national TV, and for 1/4 of our football games we were only available on the Internet.

When will you admit that this point is entirely irrelevant?

Upstater's point seems to be that lousy sports on the ESPN networks get better ratings than lousy sports on FSN. That point has, so far, been irrefutably proven correct. Your argument that the Big East is "kicking ass" on FSN has been thoroughly debunked.

Reaction Score

Upstater, what is your point? Are you arguing that conference networks are a bad idea? Every major conference would disagree with you. Do you just hate the basketball schools? That is your problem, not theirs.

By every measure possible, they are winning, and the AAC is losing. So no matter how much you think you show that they suck, we suck worse.

Dude, you seem very passionate to be proven right about the demise of uconn. Don't you see how irritating that is?

Reaction Score

Our football games were on SNY, and they did better than these basketball games on SNY alone. More viewers. Not only that, but football is on the last year of the contract. Next year's contract guarantees 50% more games on ESPN/2/U.

As for the meaning of the word "national," realize that the BE on Fox has more "national" games than the ACC. Heck, NC State has only 4 games on ESPN/ESPN2 all year. But having a "national" game means nothing if no one watches yourr network. Recruiting is about EXPOSURE.

Upstater, what is your point?

No one watches Fox. It's horrible for exposure.

Are you arguing that conference networks are a bad idea?

The imaginary people in your head asked that question, not me.

Every major conference would disagree with you. Do you just hate the basketball schools?

I like basketball.

If by "winning" you mean that absolutely no one is bothering to watch their games, then I agree with you. UConn, meanwhile, is being watched by a million people on ESPN. G'town and the like are scrounging for 1/10th of that. On a good day. Fox = irrelevancy. 1,000 viewers!!!?!?!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dude, you seem very passionate to be proven right about the demise of uconn. Don't you see how irritating that is?

I am very passionate about pointing out that our current path is a path to disaster, or more precisely, irrelevance. Doing nothing is making a decision here, and "I told you so" doesn't do anyone much good, does it? BYU has shown us a path for success by thinking outside the box. Yes, they have a built in fan base of 3 million nationally, and we don't, but we have New York City, and they don't.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If by "winning" you mean that absolutely no one is bothering to watch their games, then I agree with you. UConn, meanwhile, is being watched by a million people on ESPN. G'town and the like are scrounging for 1/10th of that. On a good day. Fox = irrelevancy. 1,000 viewers!!!?!?!!

Depaul gets paid more for their basketball games than UConn gets paid for everything. Actually, about twice as much.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When will you admit that this point is entirely irrelevant?

Upstater's point seems to be that lousy sports on the ESPN networks get better ratings than lousy sports on FSN. That point has, so far, been irrefutably proven correct. Your argument that the Big East is "kicking ass" on FSN has been thoroughly debunked.

I bet the $4-5 million a year that every Big East schools gets from Fox softens the blow a little. How much does UConn get from ESPN?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I am very passionate about pointing out that our current path is a path to disaster, or more precisely, irrelevance. Doing nothing is making a decision here, and "I told you so" doesn't do anyone much good, does it? BYU has shown us a path for success by thinking outside the box. Yes, they have a built in fan base of 3 million nationally, and we don't, but we have New York City, and they don't.

Who in New York City is going to give a damn about UConn playing football at an Idaho/NMSU level or UConn playing Big East basketball without ND, Cuse, Louisville or Pitt?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Depaul gets paid more for their basketball games than UConn gets paid for everything. Actually, about twice as much.

This is a false statement, and you should absolutely know better than that!

UConn's exit fee payouts will actually pay us MORE THAN DOUBLE what DePaul is getting until our next tv contract comes up for bid. The fact that you don't understand that (or are unwilling to acknowledge that) shows how little you understand about the situation. I'm glad you don't make the decisions for our university based on your math...

Reaction Score
This is a false statement, and you should absolutely know better than that!

UConn's exit fee payouts will actually pay us MORE THAN DOUBLE what DePaul is getting until our next tv contract comes up for bid. The fact that you don't understand that (or are unwilling to acknowledge that) shows how little you understand about the situation. I'm glad you don't make the decisions for our university based on your math...
Great point Dan. Nelson either forgets this or just doesn't care because he knows it makes his point look even worse.

Reaction Score

That's wrong. UConn is getting $5m a year in exit fees and NCAA credits + $2 million in conference TV money + $25 million in licensing revenues (which are largely predicated on UConn's exposure and popularity): $32 million total.

Whereas DePaul is getting $3.75m in TV money, and their licensing is likely lower than Rutgers' which is $8 million (but we don't have the figures): $11.75m.

Reaction Score
I bet the $4-5 million a year that every Big East schools gets from Fox softens the blow a little. How much does UConn get from ESPN?

It's less than that. And, why choose less exposure for UConn, which weakens recruiting, dooms UConn to irrelevancy, and for what? $1.75m more in TV money? Leaving $25 million in fees behind? Why?

Reaction Score
You keep peddling the idea that the conference is recruiting well.

It's not, so stop.

And SMU doesn't have the top recruit in the country. They bought a one and done by giving the kid's scrub JUCO brother a scholarship.
the AAC is a 4 bid league most years: uconn, memphis, cincy, and temple. maybe some years there is 3, and mayber some years there 5 or 6.
this isn't the old BE where you get 11 bids. that league doesn't exist anymore.

I beleive SMU has a top 10-15 recruiting class. did someone say they had the top recruit?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
the AAC is a 4 bid league most years: uconn, memphis, cincy, and temple. maybe some years there is 3, and mayber some years there 5 or 6.

I beleive SMU has a top 10-15 recruiting class. did someone say they had the top recruit?

The number 2 recruit in the naton: Mudiay.

Reaction Score

He was ranked #1 by one service until 2 weeks ago. Now he's #2 there.

Reaction Score

10 team league this year, 11 team league starting next year. If we can get 5 teams a year in, we will be fine. I think the 4 teams you mentioned are locks most years. We need a SMU (good recruiting class) or Houston to step up.

I think the NBE is also a 4 or 5 bid league. It's tough to get more than that when you have only 10 or 11 teams in your league and you are playing most people twice.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The AAC is s---. We know this.

SMU is s---. Tulane is s---. Houston is s---. Tulsa is s---. UCF is s---. USF is s---. East Carolina is s---.

Temple is pretty much s---. Memphis is s--- in almost every way, but for the 40 minutes they're on a basketball court.

All those schools will live and die by how many academic train wrecks they can recruit and/or buy from their own zip code.

It's a two-school conference, UConn and Cincinnati.

Those two will make the NCAA's most years unless/until the conference kills them. Perhaps one or two, or in a good year, three other schools will make it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Considering Temple has made the NCAAT the past 6 seasons and Memphis has made it 6 of the past 7, I feel pretty confident in saying that it's a typically a 4 bid league ( adding UConn and Cincinnati).

The bottom 7 teams will suck really bad as opposed to the bottom of the NBE which will just suck.

The NBE will likely be a better overall league on the court and worlds away in current prestige but they've sold their soul to Fox ( it was their best play) and with no ESPN exposure we'll just have to see how it works out.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

SMU is s---. Tulane is s---. Houston is s---. Tulsa is s---. UCF is s---. USF is s---. East Carolina is s---.

Temple is pretty much s---. Memphis is s--- in almost every way, but for the 40 minutes they're on a basketball court.

All those schools will live and die by how many academic train wrecks they can recruit and/or buy from their own zip code.

Those two will make the NCAA's most years unless/until the conference kills them. Perhaps one or two, or in a good year, three other schools will make it.

This post is s---.

SMU and Houston are 6-2 each. SMU was a nail-biter with UVA away from 7-1. Memphis' only loss is to #7 Okla. St. Why don't we talk about 3-loss DePaul, or maybe we should talk about a Seton Hall team that lost to Mercer. And you talk about UConn and Cincy as if it's nothing. I'll take UConn and Cincy against Nova and Providence any day of the week.

Overall, the net average of the NBE is slightly better than that of the American. But let's not act as if the NBE is the old BE, or as if it is the new ACC. That's ridiculous, and you should know it...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Overall, the net average of the NBE is slightly better than that of the American. But let's not act as if the NBE is the old BE, or as if it is the new ACC. That's ridiculous, and you should know it...

SMU and Houston are pure crap. SMU almost beat Virginia?! Wow, that means....well, nothing.

And I didn't mention the new Big East, so I have no idea why you did.

Reaction Score

So, since this thread is about the BE, and all those AAC schools suck, where do you rank the BE schools? By comparison. Butler? Creighton? Xavier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom