Big East AD's meeting on Sunday | The Boneyard

Big East AD's meeting on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nothing says "don't give a s***" like waiting over two weeks after getting raided to even meet.

http://vuhoops.com/2011/09/28/big-east-meetings-on-sunday/
Waylon, come on. this is a meeting of the Presidents and its the 2nd one in 2 weeks. They need to get a feel for which way the wind is blowing before they do very much. If the B-12 in fact collapsed, your strategy is very different than if it remains; if the SEC announced they were taking Florida State, it changes again; I still don't quite get why the Big East doesn't make a run at Kansas and K-State, maybe a couple of other B-12 schools...what have you got to lose? They can't be all that happy with Texas and Ok playing them the way they did...

Reaction Score
Waylon, come on. this is a meeting of the Presidents and its the 2nd one in 2 weeks. They need to get a feel for which way the wind is blowing before they do very much. If the B-12 in fact collapsed, your strategy is very different than if it remains; if the SEC announced they were taking Florida State, it changes again; I still don't quite get why the Big East doesn't make a run at Kansas and K-State, maybe a couple of other B-12 schools...what have you got to lose? They can't be all that happy with Texas and Ok playing them the way they did...
The Big East has to commit to itself before it can ask anyone else to commit.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is not callapsing right now. They are in a position of strength when compared to the Big East. Mizzou going to the SEC is the only thing that even has a remote possibility of happening to them right now. As messed up as their league is ours is 100 times worse right now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

As a Kansas alumn, I can tell you that would never happen. They are not an eastern school and are not comfortable with other eastern schools. Kansas is not worried about what OU and UT do in football, because basketball is king in Lawrence. They might consider the Big 10, but really anything east of the Mississippi is "back east". K-State wouldn't leave KU.
Realistially, the Big VII is in pretty good shape, it is the #2 BCS conference and can almost certainly poach some decent schools. As I mentioned several times, they will mostly look west. Boise State, BYU, Nevada, Colorado State, maybe TCU if UT will have them. That's my prediction: Mizzou stays. Big VII lands BYU, Nevada and Boise State.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
As a Kansas alumn, I can tell you that would never happen. They are not an eastern school and are not comfortable with other eastern schools. Kansas is not worried about what OU and UT do in football, because basketball is king in Lawrence. They might consider the Big 10, but really anything east of the Mississippi is "back east". K-State wouldn't leave KU.
Realistially, the Big VII is in pretty good shape, it is the #2 BCS conference and can almost certainly poach some decent schools. As I mentioned several times, they will mostly look west. Boise State, BYU, Nevada, Colorado State, maybe TCU if UT will have them. That's my prediction: Mizzou stays. Big VII lands BYU, Nevada and Boise State.

That would be a shock to the Nevada athletic departament. Im pretty close to people who would know and if true, they are really, really good at keeping secrets or they really don't trust me to keep it on the down low. (Im a long time Nevada season ticket holder in football and basketball)

Reaction Score
I hope that a solidarity agreement comes out of the meeting around the football schools remaining together post expiration of the 2013 television contract.

Ideally, they somehow get the conference to get together to add a single football/all sports college (temple) to get back to 16 and divide into the two natural 8 team divisions.

The 8 team divisions could then schedule sports for the olympics and mens/womens basketball in a way that makes sense, and leave football to schedule as it has been at 8 teams.

If - in that case, villanova somehow manages to actually stop pussyfooting around the upgrade issue and actually does it, you can still maintain the 16 team conference, and have a ninth football team and have a rivalry in the city of philadelphia which isn't a college town, so the only way you can make it even close, is to make sure the colleges in the town, play each other.

Our basketball program(s) would be just fine in such a situation, and the olympics would have only one major outlier in travel issues in TCU. They already go to florida, and have been since miami was a full member.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Some of the B12 boards are happy TAMU is gone. Too many Texas teams and too much Texas influence with their legislature getting involved and other nonsense.

I don't look at it much differently than losing Miami OR Virginia Tech in 2003. Losing 1 team wasn't a problem. There are those who see silver lining for teams like Kansas State to rank higher than with TAMU in the league. Missouri has its concerns with a 9-game schedule and playing Oklahoma, OSU, Texas, and possibly WVU every year and potentially facing an even worse scenario in the SEC.

Reaction Score
I hope that a solidarity agreement comes out of the meeting around the football schools remaining together post expiration of the 2013 television contract.

Ideally, they somehow get the conference to get together to add a single football/all sports college (temple) to get back to 16 and divide into the two natural 8 team divisions.

The 8 team divisions could then schedule sports for the olympics and mens/womens basketball in a way that makes sense, and leave football to schedule as it has been at 8 teams.

If - in that case, villanova somehow manages to actually stop pussyfooting around the upgrade issue and actually does it, you can still maintain the 16 team conference, and have a ninth football team and have a rivalry in the city of philadelphia which isn't a college town, so the only way you can make it even close, is to make sure the colleges in the town, play each other.

Our basketball program(s) would be just fine in such a situation, and the olympics would have only one major outlier in travel issues in TCU. They already go to florida, and have been since miami was a full member.

That would actually put us right back to where we were in football, actually a bit of an upgrade with TCU being better than Pitt or SU. Basketball takes a big hit but nothing that UConn couldn't make up for. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I don't really see why we need divisions though. Part of the allure of Big East basketball since the 05 expansion is at least getting to play everyone at least once.

Reaction Score
The new big east come next week (I hope) - with some kind of revenue sharing agreement post 2013 among the football schools to ensure that they can retain the BCS status long term should the conference eventually divide due to market forces.
So - the All sports division in two pods to play home and home geographically yearly and home and home annually with other pod, and rotate the other division.

UConn
Rutgers
West Virginia
Temple

Louisville
Cincinatti
South Florida
TCU

The catholic /non-football division (call it what you want)

Villanova
St. Johns
Providence
Seton Hall

Notre Dame
Georgetown
Marquette
DePaul

It would work, it would be majorly powerful in TV broadcasting rights, and it would squeeze the hell out of Notre Dame to start to bank on home an dhome with DePaul, Marquette and Georgetown as the core of their schedules in everything but football.

Good luck getting the catholic colleges to agree to it.

Reaction Score
All I see is some schools want their AD's to come. It is a Presidents meeting. No need for AD's.

Reaction Score
That would actually put us right back to where we were in football, actually a bit of an upgrade with TCU being better than Pitt or SU. Basketball takes a big hit but nothing that UConn couldn't make up for. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I don't really see why we need divisions though. Part of the allure of Big East basketball since the 05 expansion is at least getting to play everyone at least once.

Divisions are necessary for scheduling in the other numbers of sports that are required for a school to field a division 1-A status.

Dividing the conference along the natural separation of the metro-catholic basketball schools and the football schools makes perfect sense to establish some kind of stability and sense to the conference, especially when it comes to negotiations of broadcasting rights in an open market.

The only way you can get a true value of how much each side of that natural division in the conference brings to the table financially, is to actually divide them and see how much each is worth separate, and then together.

that's why a solidarity agreement among the football schools only, or based on the football schools only staying together beyond 2013 is so important.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Eight football teams was a problem before and it will be an even bigger problem in the future.

The problem with eight teams is that there is only seven conference games. Meaning? Every other year you only get three conference home games leaving teams scrambling to find four out of conference games. Scheduling is a nightmare.

You need a minimum of eight conference games to ensure having at least four conference home games a year.

Having an odd number of league games, such as 9, isn't an issue because you still get a minimum of four home games a year in-conference.

Reaction Score
Eight football teams was a problem before and it will be an even bigger problem in the future.

The problem with eight teams is that there is only seven conference games. Meaning? Every other year you only get three conference home games leaving teams scrambling to find four out of conference games. Scheduling is a nightmare.

You need a minimum of eight conference games to ensure having at least four conference home games a year.

Having an odd number of league games, such as 9, isn't an issue because you still get a minimum of four home games a year in-conference.

Navy football only? This is where that would really help I suppose.

Reaction Score
P.S. If AD's wanted to keep the 16 team round robin schedule for jsut basketball, that's fine. It's a headache, but they've been doing it anyway for a while. It's crazy to be doing it with all the sports, if the actual concept of allowing student-athletes to actually get an education is important.

I'm looking at coming up with a structure of a conference that can move forward and be stable. I think it's a good model, the 16 team, two divisions based on the natural differences among the school, with a 4 pod structure I just put up there for scheduling.

Reaction Score
I know 8 teams is a problem for scheduling in football, we've been doing it for a long time now. The concept of adding a ninth team for football only, or more teams for football only (i.e. service academies, that can be readressed after 2013, when the market would determine how much the conference is actually worth together, or separate, and we've got a long term broadcasting deal in place for stability, and after teh next cycle of the BCS AQ status is calculated.

Adding teams for the sake of markets is what's going on in the actual BCS conferences. BEfore we can even attempt to do that (which I hope Marinatto has realized) we first need to become an actual BCS conference rather than the basketball conglomerate dabbling in BCS football that we've been for too long.

Reaction Score
The thread title is wrong. There will not be AD's at the meeting. Unless Nelson knows more than President Herbst.

Reaction Score

So why were they in negotiations to join the BE last year?

Missouri is GONE!

Boise St? You can't be serious. Have you looked at a map lately?

Reaction Score
Some of the B12 boards are happy TAMU is gone. Too many Texas teams and too much Texas influence with their legislature getting involved and other nonsense.

I don't look at it much differently than losing Miami OR Virginia Tech in 2003. Losing 1 team wasn't a problem. There are those who see silver lining for teams like Kansas State to rank higher than with TAMU in the league. Missouri has its concerns with a 9-game schedule and playing Oklahoma, OSU, Texas, and possibly WVU every year and potentially facing an even worse scenario in the SEC.

Missouri is gone, they are going to the SEC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So why were they in negotiations to join the BE last year?

Missouri is GONE!

Boise St? You can't be serious. Have you looked at a map lately?

Idaho is closer to KC than Morgantown. If they add BYU and Nevada it's a great fit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Listening to talk radio this afternoon here in Florida, some good reporters found a flight plan for a private jet leaving from Columbia, MO today, travelling to Birmingham, Al (Home office of SEC). It landed, spent four hours on deck and filed a flight plan for a flight back to Columbia. These presidents and conference commissioners are good, but they're not Colonel Nathan Jessup good. They can't make flights just disappear.

As a side bar, how comes the SEC can put their offices in Birmingham which isn't home to any conference teams and be successful? Is Birmingham really that much of a better city than Providence? (Sarcasm off).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom