Big Difference in AP vs Coach's Poll | The Boneyard

Big Difference in AP vs Coach's Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Minnesota is ranked 23 in the AP poll. Interestingly, they didn't get even ONE vote in the Coach's poll. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The coach's poll is saying MN is not even one of the top 40. I think they're better than expected because their center is becoming more and more dominant in games.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I noticed that too. They played Maryland tough down to the wire. Maybe the
coaches just wrote them off when they lost Rachel Banham.

Reaction Score
Minnesota is ranked 23 in the AP poll. Interestingly, they didn't get even ONE vote in the Coach's poll. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The coach's poll is saying MN is not even one of the top 40. I think they're better than expected because their center is becoming more and more dominant in games.

I thought we already decided that it's a wash from 15 to 50 or so?

Reaction Score
Minnesota should definitely be in the top 25. If they still had Banham, they could be top 10. They may be top 2 or 3 in the B1G w/o Banham.

Their center Amanda Zahui B. is from Sweden and is just a sophomore. She is a legit 6'5" and seems to have a wing span of someone 6'9". While a lot of her points are in the paint, she can also hit from outside. She is averaging 19 PPG with a 60% fg% and 15 rpg since Banham got injured. Minn. beat Nebraska w/o Banham and nealy beat MD. Zahui B. may be the best center in the NCAA, I can't think of anyone I would want on my team ahead of her.

I don't know what the coaches were thinking or not thinking leaving Minn. out of the top 25.

Reaction Score
Their center Amanda Zahui B. is from Sweden and is just a sophomore. She is a legit 6'5" and seems to have a wing span of someone 6'9". While a lot of her points are in the paint, she can also hit from outside. She is averaging 19 PPG with a 60% fg% and 15 rpg since Banham got injured. Minn. beat Nebraska w/o Banham and nealy beat MD. Zahui B. may be the best center in the NCAA, I can't think of anyone I would want on my team ahead of her.

A 21 year old sophomore! :eek: She can go pro after this year if she wanted to.

Reaction Score
Just as a general principle, I think I would be more inclined to buy the coach's poll, since a lot of the writers would probably have a hard time explaining the difference between man-to-man and zone. It's also a certainty that neither group actually sees most of the teams play and vote more on reputations and a few results than anything else.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Minnesota is rated #40 in Sagarin and #26 in Massey, and I think the big difference there may be in how the two systems equate home losses, since both of the Gophers losses were at home to a decent MD team and an ehhh Vandy team. Best wins have been at home over Nebraska and on the road over Purdue, but neither of those wins is that impressive. Road wins in upcoming games against Ohio St. and Rutgers could help their cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom