Big day tomorrow for Ray Reid and Nancy Stevens... | The Boneyard

Big day tomorrow for Ray Reid and Nancy Stevens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn men's soccer takes on #5 seed USF for the AAC tournament title at 2pm. The boys looked very good against UCF last night. It's a chance to add another conference tournament trophy. UConn played USF to a 1-1 tie down in Tampa earlier this year.

UConn Field Hockey knocked out those scumbag Boston College Eagles today 2-1 in OT avenging a regular season loss. They play tomorrow in Syracuse to make the Final 4. But not against the #2 Orange! #2 Syracuse was upset by unseeded Big Ten champ Michigan State today 2-1 despite being out shot 21-4. Syracuse had won 45 straight on their home field. This is the type of tournament upset break in your bracket you need to take advantage of.

So UConn has a chance tomorrow to win a AAC tournament title and make the Final Four in 2 sports. But Ray and Nancy have had these moments before and had some WTF losses. Let's hope they take care of business tomorrow. Because anything less as Bill Walton would say would be, terrrrible!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hey what gives... UConn official website says 2 PM for the MSoc game, ESPN3.com says 10:30 PM...?

EDIT - looks like it says 2PM now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Congrats to the Field Hockey team. Defeated Michigan State 3-1 to advance to their 11th Final Four. Now comes the hard part beating UNC and Maryland.

Reaction Score
And the soccer team goes to Overtime tied at 0-0.

If it goes to PK's...SPOILER ALERT.....We lost.

Reaction Score
And they head to the 2nd OT.

UConn not taking advantage of a USF team that played in Double OT on Friday.

Reaction Score
And they head to penalty kicks!

USF accepting the trophy now.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Big Andre Blake with two saves!!! Nice stuff. Now we just have to finish these out...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Uggh...that was a horrible hit. And Blake almost had save number 3. We need to bury ours...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wow. Those were just bad bad bad penalty shots. Three in a row that were down the middle. Jesus H. Let's hope they learn from that in the tourney...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Ray Reid gonna Ray Reid, y'all!

Reaction Score
Wow. Those were just bad bad bad penalty shots. Three in a row that were down the middle. Jesus H. Let's hope they learn from that in the tourney...

Oh yeah, this program has a shown a real recent history of LEARNING from these losses for the tourney. They have actually repeated these losses every year in case you haven't noticed. They have literally invented new ways to lose games in high pressure situations in the most excruciating fashion- all to teams they should have beaten. This USF team played a Double OT game 2 nights ago and UConn took the 2nd half of their blowout off and they STILL couldn't score a goal. They STILL couldn't take advantage. Even after Blake makes 2 saves in PK's!

This team learns nothing because they can't perform under pressure. Just take a look at those penalty shots for Exhibits A, B, and C.

Leave it to your beloved Ray Reid to be a giant boil on a great day for UConn athletics. I actually wish I was wrong and you were right about this guy but how many more of these do you need? This USF team isn't even as good as the UCF team we destroyed 2 nights ago. But the stakes were higher, and we know what this program has mastered when the stakes are high. Yeah I'm sure this devastating loss will have them ready for next week. I'm sure it will help their psyche even more when the next high pressure situation comes.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yup. Kids making horrible penalty shots under pressure are Reid's fault. This place! This friggin' place...unreal...

I noticed how certain people who have criticized Blake in the past haven't offered up a mea culpa for the kid doing a fantastic job since coming back from the concussion, and especially during PK's, but whatever...

Reaction Score
Yup. Kids making horrible penalty shots under pressure are Reid's fault. This place! This friggin' place...unreal...

I noticed how certain people who have criticized Blake in the past haven't offered up a mea culpa for the kid doing a fantastic job since coming back from the concussion, and especially during PK's, but whatever...

How about the fact his team is constantly going to PK's because the game is scoreless despite the fact you have A. More talent and B. Playing a team coming off a Double OT war less than 48 hours ago?

How bout that chief?

And that's a heckuva lot of players/teams over the years who missed those PK's. And who allowed those late late late goals to UNC-Charlotte and Creighton? Who turned it over to hand St Johns the BET 2 years ago. It's not all of their fault. Perhaps they are not mentally tough enough. Perhaps they are not being prepared properly to handle the moment.

What you seem to wanna hide is that in everyone of these excruciating losses since about 2007, we were FAVORED to win. Every last one. None went our way. But Reid is blameless.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
How about the fact his team is constantly going to PK's because the game is scoreless despite the fact you have A. More talent and B. Playing a team coming off a Double OT was less than 48 hours ago?

How bout that chief?

And that's a heckuva of players/teams over the years who missed those PK's. And who allowed those late late late goals to UNC-Charlotte and Creighton? Who turned it over to hand St Johns the BET 2 years ago. It's not all of their fault. Perhaps they are not mentally tough enough. Perhaps they are not being prepared properly to handle the moment.

What you seem to wanna hide is that in everyone of these excruciating losses since about 2007, we were FAVORED to win. Every last one. None went our way. But Reid is blameless.

Their goalie made 10 saves. TEN! I'm not including the PK's by the way. And if you think that the head coach is responsible for kids who have played for over 10 years of their life at high levels missing a PK, then I don't know what to tell you, "chief". It probably just means that you don't know much about the game. You can't coach someone out of missing a friggin' PK. Professionals do it in big spots all the time, and these aren't professionals...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Arrigo Sacchi is responsible for Roberto Baggio and Franco Baresi missing PK's in the 1994 World Cup, now.

Raymond Domenech is responsible for David Trezeguet missing a PK in the 2006 World Cup, now.

Sven Goran Eriksson is responsible for Gerrard, Lampard, and Carragher for missing PK's in the 2006 World Cup, now.

Idiots...

Reaction Score
Oh let's throw out the PK's......I guess we are recruiting a TON of softies huh? It's all their fault. All those misses in all of those games in all of those years. The fact we were in PK situations all those games despite being the better team. OK Let's ignore that. We will throw ALL of those situations out seeing you are going back to the 90's to find examples of missed PK's.

Can you come up with your ready made excuse why the first loss of the year in Morrone Stadium, where the Huskies were undefeated the WHOLE YEAR, just happened to come in the Elite 8 3 years to unseeded VA Tech in 2007, unseeded UNC Charlotte in 2012 (where the Huskies allowed a goal with 5 minutes left to TIE the game) and Creighton last year where they again allowed the winning goal in the final minutes. I believe the final minutes are "winning time." I'm sure you can go back to pro soccer in the 90s, because that's so relevant here, to find some examples of a 1 seed losing for the FIRST time at home 3 separate occasions to lower seeded teams with a regional championship on the line.

And while your at it, don't forget the UConn defender who dribbled the ball right to a St. John's player in Double OT to lead to a breakaway uncontested for the winning goal in the conference tournament final in 2011. Hey atleast he spared us the PK's.

I'll save you the trouble, Combine all the PK losses and the excruciating losses to lower seeded teams and the reason is simple. We choke under pressure. We can't perform under pressure. You focus on the PK's and that there is nothing Reid can do. You blame it all on the players. I look at the whole autopsy and think it's a more systematic problem as a program. Too many players/teams have fallen victim to it for it not to be.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh let's throw out the PK's......I guess we are recruiting a TON of softies huh? It's all their fault. All those misses in all of those games. The fact we were in PK situations all those games despite being the better team. OK LET'S IGNORE THAT. We will throw ALL of those situations out seeing you are going back to the 90's to find examples of missed PK's.

Can you come up with your ready made excuse why the first loss of the year in Morrone Stadium, where the Huskies were undefeated the WHOLE YEAR, just happened to come in the Elite 8 3 years to unseeded VA Tech in 2007, unseeded UNC Charlotte in 2012 (where the Huskies allowed a goal with 5 minutes left to TIE the game) and Creighton last year where they again allowed the winning goal in the final minutes. I believe the final minutes are "winning time." I'm sure you can go back to pro soccer in the 90s, because that's so relevant here, to find some exampled of a 1 seed losing for the FIRST time at home 3 separate occasions to lower seeded teams.

And while your at it, don't forget the UConn defender who dribbled the ball right to a St. John's player in Double OT to lead to a breakaway uncontested for the winning goal. Hey atleast he spared us the PK's.

I'll save you the trouble, Combine all the PK losses and the excruciating losses to lower seeded teams and the reason is simple. We choke under pressure. We can't perform under pressure. You focus on the PK's and that there is nothing Reid can do. You blame it all on the players. I look at the whole autopsy and think it's a more systematic problem as a program. Too many players/teams have fallen victim to it for it not to be.

You're a clown. Plain and simple. Most of my examples were from 2006, by the way. I wanted to make sure that they were the most famous examples so that a clown like you could remember them.

Each one of the NCAA years were different. For instance, we lost to Va Tech on a goal scored by Nyarko, who is enjoying a nice, long career in the MLS. You have been chomping at the bit for an opportunity to try to defend your "Reid sucks" stance, but unfortunately, UConn soccer hasn't lost in quite some time. You had to go quiet on your other Ray Reid tab. Today, losing on PK's finally gives you a chance to be the blowhard that you so desired to be. How unfortunate for you that UConn has won so much with such a young squad! How unfortunate for you that injuries to Blake and Diouf didn't derail our success! It must be so hard to be a contrarian when speaking of a really good team with a really good coach, huh? Must be so hard...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's obviously a preparation error. Something is going horribly wrong. 97 thinks it's just unlucky.

Nobody in soccer is this unlucky this often. Even England do better in penalty shoot outs. Either they don't practice them at all or they need to come up with something else. This is embarrassing.

Reaction Score
You're a clown. Plain and simple. Most of my examples were from 2006, by the way. I wanted to make sure that they were the most famous examples so that a clown like you could remember them.

Each one of the NCAA years were different. For instance, we lost to Va Tech on a goal scored by Nyarko, who is enjoying a nice, long career in the MLS. You have been chomping at the bit for an opportunity to try to defend your "Reid sucks" stance, but unfortunately, UConn soccer hasn't lost in quite some time. You had to go quiet on your other Ray Reid tab. Today, losing on PK's finally gives you a chance to be the blowhard that you so desired to be. How unfortunate for you that UConn has won so much with such a young squad! How unfortunate for you that injuries to Blake and Diouf didn't derail our success! It must be so hard to be a contrarian when speaking of a really good team with a really good coach, huh? Must be so hard...

Oh quite the opposite. I started this thread yesterday, I've posted since they have won. I was glad they were finally playing to their potential.

And I am mad as hell they once again pissed away a championship they should have won.

Your resulting to name calling now and generally breaking down because you can't dispute that autopsy of failed moments I just layed out. I'd be angry too if I had to try to spin that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's obviously a preparation error. Something is going horribly wrong. 97 thinks it's just unlucky.

Nobody in soccer is this unlucky this often. Even England do better in penalty shoot outs. Either they don't practice them at all or they need to come up with something else. This is embarrassing.

If you don't believe that PK's has anything luck involved, then you've never played soccer. I've played it my entire life. Religiously. Blaming PK's on the coach is about the dumbest thing I have heard in quite some time....and keep in mind that I frequent the Boneyard every day, so that's saying something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom