Big day for the WNBA MVP so far... | The Boneyard

Big day for the WNBA MVP so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tina having a great game in the first half - 12 points and 6 boards midway thru the 2nd quarter...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
She might be trying to follow up the triple-double with a 20-20 game. At the end of 3, she's got 24 pts and 15 rebounds

Reaction Score
The potential ROY isn't looking too bad either with 19 and 6 on 7-13 shooting, including 3-6 from 3.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
and a big game for Ashja Jones too - 16 and 10 so far. Ashja is +32 and Tina is +28. that's just amazing to go along with their great days. a pair of double doubles...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The potential ROY isn't looking too bad either with 19 and 6 on 7-13 shooting, including 3-6 from 3.

Maya was feeling it today, her stroke looked smooth and she was looking for the shot a little more today. It was funny how they left her open from the same spot 3 times in a row outside the arc - she made them pay a couple of times

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tina's double-double today was her 21st this season, one shy of the WNBA record she set last year. Of course, the more important accomplishments this year are the 20-12 record and making the playoffs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tina's double-double today was her 21st this season, one shy of the WNBA record she set last year. Of course, the more important accomplishments this year are the 20-12 record and making the playoffs.
true. that's really amazing. this is her 2nd season and she set the WNBA record for double-doubles as a rookie? she is something special. any post player considering other colleges including UCONN needs to look closely at how Geno developed Tina and prepared her for the pros, US National Teams, etc etc. i realize she had a world of potential coming to UCONN, but she could have developed like Kia Vaughn, or develop the way she did.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tina needs 2 double-doubles in 2 games to break her own league record.

Not sure where she stands relative to the rebound record--which she set last year as well--but she should be close.

She is also tallying assists, steal, and blocks most games.

I think she is the leading contender for MVP.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tina needs 2 double-doubles in 2 games to break her own league record.
Not sure where she stands relative to the rebound record--which she set last year as well--but she should be close.
She is also tallying assists, steal, and blocks most games.I think she is the leading contender for MVP.
i think she deserves it but i think it will come down to a vote between Diana, Tina and Angel. the thing about Angel is that Atlanta made their big push when Sancho Lyttle came back. Diana is the leading scorer in the league followed very closely by Angel. Tina is only 5th behind those 2, Crystal Langhorne, and Cappie. in spite of Atlanta's playoff push, as much as Angel is great, it came because of Sancho. that's why i think the MVP should be between Diana or Tina.

Reaction Score
for a long time i have not agreed with selecting one mvp. the skill sets for different positions make it impossible to compare players fairly. tina can certainly score and rebound, but she's sure not a ball handler who could do what point guards do, or shoot the 3 like point guards and wings. obviously, sue bird can't bang the boards like tina , or a catchings or taurasi. and the skill sets of taurasi,catchings, moore and mccoughtry are more complete than posts or points. i would like to see a most valuable point, most valuable post, and most valuable wing. let's start comparing apples to apples.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I read a columnist somewhere who made a solid case for Lindsey Whalen as MVP.....the glue on the best team in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
and a big game for Ashja Jones too - 16 and 10 so far. Ashja is +32 and Tina is +28. that's just amazing to go along with their great days. a pair of double doubles...

I have attended only one Sun game this year, the one against Phoenix about 10 days ago, and I thought Ashja was the player of the game, especially in the second half, though Kara Lawson came on strong, as well. Tina made a spectacularly strong move to the basket in the first minute or so, and she had a good first half, but she was much less visible in the second half, and at the end, when the outcome was in doubt and the lead was going back and forth, she wasn't even on the floor much of the time, which I found very odd. But it was Ashja who stood out the most to me in that game, on offense and defense, Ashja plus Lawson's 4th quarter scoring.

Of course, to put my opinion into perspective, I should add that I also thought that, on the Phoenix side that night, Penny Taylor played better than Diana Taurasi. (And why does the crowd heckle Taurasi so much? It didn't seem to be particularly good spirited. I gather she has come to expect it, though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom