BiG CR articles | Page 9 | The Boneyard

BiG CR articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? UConn was begging for an ACC invite. Manuel fumbled the ball and Jurich recovered. Thus Louisville in, UConn out. Manuel has stated he is done with realignment. All the fluff shows on ESPN mean nothing. This are no plans, no meetings. Herbst and Calhoun are going to Israel in October to see if UConn can join a conference there. Let me be the first to start that rumor.
Post like this re-enforce the fact that The Boneyard does not and should not have a Thumbs Down or Unlike button. I would register a second name just to Unlike this post twice.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Probably helped Cornell though ;)

That's my alma mater buddy so tread lightly. We're used to being called one of the lowest leaves of the Ivy but I'll be damned if we're looked down upon by any B1G school...

Reaction Score
That's my alma mater buddy so tread lightly. We're used to being called one of the lowest leaves of the Ivy but I'll be damned if we're looked down upon by any B1G school...

More like there is Princeton, Harvard and Yale and then everyone else in the Ivy League. All good in certain areas and better than most every other school, but not in the elite 3 category. But we are talking merely about how they as a group chose to compete in intercollegiate sports, especially football. From 1900 until 1954 (when the Ivy League was formed), Ivy Teams shared or won 33 national championships, with Yale (8), Harvard (7), Princeton (7) and Cornell (5) leading the way. These schools all had big time football reputations before Knute Rockne ever asked his team to "win one for the Gipper".

Reaction Score
More like there is Princeton, Harvard and Yale and then everyone else in the Ivy League. All good in certain areas and better than most every other school, but not in the elite 3 category. But we are talking merely about how they as a group chose to compete in intercollegiate sports, especially football. From 1900 until 1954 (when the Ivy League was formed), Ivy Teams shared or won 33 national championships, with Yale (8), Harvard (7), Princeton (7) and Cornell (5) leading the way. These schools all had big time football reputations before Knute Rockne ever asked his team to "win one for the Gipper".

Like a lot of older guys, I like to wax nostalgic.

Grantland Rice had the best nostalgic view of old time football.....And I always think of it when I think of the past of Ivy football.

I remember the stand at Thermopylae
The Greek Guard made one day;
I remember the legions that Caesar used
To shatter the Gallic sway;

And I remember across the years
Two banners that crowned the crest,
When Yale was king of the conquered East,
And Michigan ruled the West.

At night in my humble den I dream
Of the glories that used to be
Of Hannibal taking the Alpine Trail,
Of Drake on the open sea;

And then I wander the ancient ways
To dream a dream I love the best,

Reaction Score

Grantland Rice had the best nostalgic view of old time football.....And I always think of it when I think of the past of Ivy football.

This gives a glimpse of the brilliance of Grantland Rice, sports writing's answer to H.L. Mencken. Was this taken from the ND site or the Michigan site?

Reaction Score
I agreed with upstarter that it would cost Mizzou money to leave the SEC, but I question if it would cost $130 million. Do you think it would cost Mizzou $130 million to leave the SEC and join the B1G? I explained a few scenarios, and cited precedent where they have been done recently by other conferences, that would cost far less for Mizzou to join the B1G. If the B1G is going to be serious about trying to poach a team from the SEC, the B1G would need to work with the SEC team to cut down on the cost. One really good way is to shorten the entrance time frame, as this would cost the B1G very little and save the SEC team $30-$60 million. Also, the B1G could offer a better share of the conference payouts, if the team is desired enough and would boost the conference earnings.
Why in God's name would Missouri ever leave the SEC? I can only see one scenario whwere that would happen. That would be if they were getting the crap beat out of them in all sports year after year and decided to find an easier conference.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Why in God's name would Missouri ever leave the SEC? I can only see one scenario whwere that would happen. That would be if they were getting the crap beat out of them in all sports year after year and decided to find an easier conference.
Unlikely to leave SEC, but in addition to getting the sh t getting kicked out of them on the SEC football field a move to the B1G is not out of the question as more importantly there's also the CIC money that the B1G cache brings with it.

Reaction Score
This gives a glimpse of the brilliance of Grantland Rice, sports writing's answer to H.L. Mencken. Was this taken from the ND site or the Michigan site?

Neither...I am old enough to have encountered Grantland Rice's sports poetry and I could easily google the lines....He may be a little florid for this day and time...but his images of the Four Horsemen outlined against a gray sky, his Casey at the Bat, were very familiar to my dad...and thus to me.

I am the product of a Alabama southern belle and a Michigan grad....my dad and I watched football for many years. It was the common language in which we could communicate without argument. I am not a Big Ten fan, but to this day I cheer against Ohio State in his memory and raise a glass to the old man. I miss him.

Reaction Score
Neither...I am old enough to have encountered Grantland Rice's sports poetry and I could easily google the lines....He may be a little florid for this day and time...but his images of the Four Horsemen outlined against a gray sky, his Casey at the Bat, were very familiar to my dad...and thus to me.

I am the product of a Alabama southern belle and a Michigan grad....my dad and I watched football for many years. It was the common language in which we could communicate without argument. I am not a Big Ten fan, but to this day I cheer against Ohio State in his memory and raise a glass to the old man. I miss him.
Don't ask me why, but I've always hated Ohio State. Penn State as well.

Reaction Score

And the Wolverines still hold a substantial edge. My favorite era was the "Ten year war" when Hayes and Schembechler went mano a mano. Of course, the 2006 game was pretty big, too!

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

And Cornell could have had one more I'm sure but I wasn't around back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down_Game_(1940)

Reaction Score
Post like this re-enforce the fact that The Boneyard does not and should not have a Thumbs Down or Unlike button. I would register a second name just to Unlike this post twice.[/quote
I guess the truth hurts. You can unlike all you want, but the facts remain. All the rumors and wishful thinking posted on this board don't mean squat. The ACC didn't want UConn and UConn wanted the ACC. That is a fact that cannot be denied.

Reaction Score

I would never make fun of Cornell, primarily because I can’t remember anything about the 3 or 4 weekend road trips I made there to visit friends at Cornell and Ithaca.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

First time I've read that...wow. I humbly say thank you for that gem.

Reaction Score
I would never make fun of Cornell, primarily because I can’t remember anything about the 3 or 4 weekend road trips I made there to visit friends at Cornell and Ithaca.

Any school who's fight song's lyrics are sung from the perspective of a student being expelled for excessive drinking, but vowing to return and drink some more, well - that school is OK by me.

Reaction Score
And Cornell could have had one more I'm sure but I wasn't around back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down_Game_(1940)[/quote]

That is a great story. Cornell had won 18 games in a row over 2 seasons and was reigning national champion when they forfeited the game after learning of the ref's mistake?
Do you remember Colorado getting 5 downs vs. Mizzou in 1990 and NOT FORFEITING THE GAME? Colorado won the national championship that year although all I remember is the fifth down they got against Mizzou! I guess the Ivies put things in perspective and do the right thing.

Reaction Score
'buddy's post' reply:
Let's be clear, there were some factions of the ACC that didn't want us, and they apparently had more sway than the faction that did want us. In my opinion, it's the ACC's loss. If Swofford really wanted to sew up the east coast, he should have kept Maryland, and taken Rutgers and UConn, instead of Pitt and UL.

Reaction Score
Any school who's fight song's lyrics are sung from the perspective of a student being expelled for excessive drinking, but vowing to return and drink some more, well - that school is OK by me.

Cornell's fight song apparently is "Give my regards to Davy" sung to the tune of "Give my regards to Broadway".
It applies to many of us...

The original and best known lyrics:
Give my regards to Davy,
Remember me to Tee Fee Crane.
Tell all the pikers on the Hill
That I'll be back again.
Tell them just how I busted
Lapping up the high highball.
We'll all have drinks at Theodore Zinck's
When I get back next fall

Reaction Score
Unlikely to leave SEC, but in addition to getting the sh t getting kicked out of them on the SEC football field a move to the B1G is not out of the question as more importantly there's also the CIC money that the B1G cache brings with it.

There is really barely any CIC money. It's like 10-15 million for 14 schools.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
There is really barely any CIC money. It's like 10-15 million for 14 schools.
I know some say the CIC benefit is not a big deal, but don't they control something like 10-15% of all federal research dollars? For 14 schools out of 3,000, that sounds pretty good to me. Maybe I'm missing something and it's the schools themselves that are already the top benefactors of research grants - CIC or not. I'm not an expert -- I just always thought it was a big deal.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah, Buddy.

Outside the Lines is a fluff show. :rolleyes:

It's the sports equivalent of 60 Minutes and has been a staple of ESPN Sunday Morning for 23 years. Do you know how many peoples' Sundays begin with OTL, Sports Reporters and the 1.5 hour Live SportsCenter? You can't count that high...That's called exposure. When the goal is to gain AAU status, increase the endowment and gain a Big Ten invite, being mentioned on OTL in a research capacity is huge. How do you know there are no plans? How do know Warde Manuel isn't playing lip service?

Conference realignment is a fluid situation. Louisville was tabbed by the ACC not because of Tom Zurich vs. Warde Manuel, per se. Manuel and Herbst had already put their best foot forward. Louisville was tabbed because of a number of factors already detailed on this board (1. BCs continual smear campaign. 2. FSUs travel concerns, 3. FSUs potential defection. Another prevailing rumor was that the Big XII was pursuing Louisville. If the ACC offered to UConn like they had already hinted, they would lose Louisville, who went on to win the Orange Bowl and reach the College World Series. There was something else as well...oh yeah...They made 2 Final 4s and won the Men's Basketball National Championship!!! UConn was coming off probation...

I wrote the following in another thread regarding UConn and the ACC:

I think that ship has sailed. I think UConn is aiming higher than the Artist Formerly Known as the Big East (errr...ACC North). And no one can blame them! ACC members have been leading UConn on for so long as it is.

I think if (and more likely when) the time comes for the ACC actually extends a bona fide invite - instead of the handshake with a buzzer - , the higher ups at UConn will go through back channels to the Big Ten. If the Big Ten offers, UConn jumps. If the Big Ten doesn't, UConn takes the consolation prize. Albeit, I'm a bit jaded at this point, but this remains my best guess and hope...Since UConn was left out of the Pittsburgh/Syracuse expansion, I've been ready to say F* the ACC.

Reaction Score
I know some say the CIC benefit is not a big deal, but don't they control something like 10-15% of all federal research dollars? For 14 schools out of 3,000, that sounds pretty good to me. Maybe I'm missing something and it's the schools themselves that are already the top benefactors of research grants - CIC or not. I'm not an expert -- I just always thought it was a big deal.

It's the schools that get the money, not the CIC. The CIC is a pretty limited entity, but that $10m is nothing to sneeze at. Schools partner to bring in $750k per school, and that's real money, especially when the fungible budgets are in the range of $100m to $200m. But no school is going to lose $100m from its athletic budget so that it can make $750k in research more per year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The ESPN produced "fluff show," a.k.a. Outside the Lines had a puff piece on this morning was about concussions in the NFL and the Dr. who was unqualified to preside over the commission studying their effect.:rolleyes:

It probably wins OTL another Emmy.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Buddy.

Outside the Lines is a fluff show. :rolleyes:

It's the sports equivalent of 60 Minutes and has been a staple of ESPN Sunday Morning for 23 years. Do you know how many peoples' Sundays begin with OTL, Sports Reporters and the 1.5 hour Live SportsCenter? You can't count that high...That's called exposure. When the goal is to gain AAU status, increase the endowment and gain a Big Ten invite, being mentioned on OTL in a research capacity is huge. How do you know there are no plans? How do know Warde Manuel isn't playing lip service?

Conference realignment is a fluid situation. Louisville was tabbed by the ACC not because of Tom Zurich vs. Warde Manuel, per se. Manuel and Herbst had already put their best foot forward. Louisville was tabbed because of a number of factors already detailed on this board (1. BCs continual smear campaign. 2. FSUs travel concerns, 3. FSUs potential defection. Another prevailing rumor was that the Big XII was pursuing Louisville. If the ACC offered to UConn like they had already hinted, they would lose Louisville, who went on to win the Orange Bowl and reach the College World Series. There was something else as well...oh yeah...They made 2 Final 4s and won the Men's Basketball National Championship!!! UConn was coming off probation...

I wrote the following in another thread regarding UConn and the ACC:
As my late mother use to say as I lamented about some kid not wanting to play with me. " Why would you ever want to play with someone who obviously doesn't want to include you ?"
That's pretty much the way I feel about the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom