2024 Recruiting: - Big Cliff Omoruyi enters portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Big Cliff Omoruyi enters portal

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Well I wouldn't say we have a comparable budget if we never outbid these programs.
We have other criteria. I've said it before, I doubt Danny's closing argument has anything to do with money, and if dollars are a recruit's priority they probably do go elsewhere. It doesn't mean we don't have the NIL; we just spend it differently.

Reaction Score
Big men are devalued in today's NBA unless you're Wembanyama. It depends what the scouts say about his draft position. Heard # 11 but who knows what international players might be out there. Edey will be a two time NOPY and came back to college because college. Not saying DC won't be drafted, just it might not be known by 4/8. Look at AJ last year. It was maybe a week after the championship game before he decided. Right after the game he said he was coming back unless Hurley didn't want him back (joking) and then entered the draft once he got NBA feedback.
You are absolutely clueless. The last three NBA MVP's have been big men and if you count Giannis as a big that number becomes 5. I seriously think you're just trolling. You can't be this dumb

Reaction Score
He doesn't. Hurley and everyone else involved in UConn basketball have known thr whole time Clingan and Castle are leaving after this year. I don't know why people on the board keep talking about another year from either of them. Clingan could've left after last year, everyone should be thankful we got two seasons out of him and cheer him on in the NBA next season.
Never once did I say DC isn't going. I think he us. I'm just saying that unless our coaches are sharing that with portal players, it won't be official until after 4/8 and that point will need to be clear to any big man looking for starter minutes at UConn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Big men are devalued in today's NBA unless you're Wembanyama. It depends what the scouts say about his draft position. Heard # 11 but who knows what international players might be out there. Edey will be a two time NOPY and came back to college because college. Not saying DC won't be drafted, just it might not be known by 4/8. Look at AJ last year. It was maybe a week after the championship game before he decided. Right after the game he said he was coming back unless Hurley didn't want him back (joking) and then entered the draft once he got NBA feedback.

It's known by [checks date] March 26 that he'll be a lottery pick.

And to the post above this one, everybody -- including every player in the portal and their grandmas -- knows it.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Never once did I say DC isn't going. I think he us. I'm just saying that unless our coaches are sharing that with portal players, it won't be official until after 4/8 and that point will need to be clear to any big man looking for starter minutes at UConn.
course diss GIF

Reaction Score
If you can get the guaranteed money that DC will be offered, and you've now had foot injuries and no one can promise you that they won't reappear and cost you the money if you don't take it now, you take the damn money. Even if you would rather play with your current teammates, and finish the college experience as opposed to just coming back later and getting your degree, you would have to be foolish to not take the money.

Reaction Score
If you can get the guaranteed money that DC will be offered, and you've now had foot injuries and no one can promise you that they won't reappear and cost you the money if you don't take it now, you take the damn money. Even if you would rather play with your current teammates, and finish the college experience as opposed to just coming back later and getting your degree, you would have to be foolish to not take the money.
As much as I want him to stay, the injury factor compels him to go. A big guy like that, comes down wrong on someone’s foot…no brainer, he’s set for life.

Reaction Score
In general recruiting I think the coaches are informing recruits about what the team is looking like the next season. Ex: I think castle/Solo knew the expectation was Hawk going pro before the season started. If they’re contacting kids, they’re likely letting them know what playing time is available

Reaction Score
Exactly…10th pick is guaranteed nearly 14m. Danny pushed Ajax out the door and he was a second rounder because he knew it was the right time

Reaction Score
now do Karaban . . .

Well AK does not have guaranteed money on the table. He should be able to earn comparable $ with NIL while he asserts himself as the primary option and graduates.

Reaction Score
Slick Rick tried to be cute. Figured he would say no to the nit to sweep in before others could. Cliff is to smart for that. I find this hilarious.

Reaction Score
To see what the NBA values in big men, let’s see who was drafted as a PF/C in the first round of last year’s draft. The NBA meta changes relatively often, but this is a glimpse of what GMs valued last summer

#1 Wembanyama - unicorn, no discussion needed
#2 Brandon Miller - athletic shooter, I think he plays SF now
#8 Jarace Walker - strong and athletic big that could shoot decently
#9 Taylor Hendricks - athletic shooter
#12 Dereck Lively - athletic lob threat/rim protector
#21 Noah Clowney - athletic project

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Yep. NIL's changed the landscape obviously, but in this case, he's looking at being picked in the lottery and being given a multiyear contract with big bucks. E.g., the 10th pick this year is guaranteed $9M total over his first 2 seasons.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Didn’t someone tweet out last week that 6 Big East programs paid out $2 million in NIL this year? We are obviously one of them. We have money to get good players.
If that is true, only 3 programs spent their money wisely.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Just curious. Clingan signs with Ritz crackers. Does what he is going to make included in that $2M per school number that is posted above?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not to mention Clingan is an NIL ATM machine, the kid is doing real well for himself independently of the collectives even with a ton of different endorsement deals. So he would be getting paid REALLY well here to come back. Even with that, he still has to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom