Big Changes are Coming | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Changes are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was talking to a couple of guys today, and while I'm usually skeptical, I walked away convinced that they knew what was going on. According to them Addazio wants out of BC and into UConn and they seemed pretty sure it was going to happen after the season.
Though I like Addazio, if we are going to cut ties and clean house with Paul Pasqualoni and his legacy then Addazio is not the guy. I don't know much about Addazio's coaching style or his recruiting abilities, but know that him and PP go way back. Just saying.

Reaction Score
I was talking to a couple of guys today, and while I'm usually skeptical, I walked away convinced that they knew what was going on. According to them Addazio wants out of BC and into UConn and they seemed pretty sure it was going to happen after the season.
3 schools in 3 years. I think it makes him look like he is not very committed to stay anywhere.

Reaction Score

Oh come on!...........

Reaction Score

WM.jpg

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

"Dream job" situation? Hmm. If it happened, it would be somewhat ironic...

Reaction Score
If this is in fact a possibility...which I think is VERY FAR FETCHED to say the least...we can kiss Timmy Boyle good bye via transfer. He decommitted to BC because of Addazio...why would he stay if Addazio came here to coach?

Reaction Score
Addazio wants out of BC??? Come on....I want someone who will shake up the program....Addazio would be a great hire when RE left, but now it is time to get a BIG NAME ASSISANT COACH (from FSU, Bama, LSU, Texas...) to take over.

Reaction Score
Addazio wants out of BC??? Come on....I want someone who will shake up the program....Addazio would be a great hire when RE left, but now it is time to get a BIG NAME ASSISANT COACH (from FSU, Bama, LSU, Texas...) to take over.
Agreed! If Warde sticks to his M/O in hiring a coach like he did at Buffalo (2x) and with hiring Cavanaugh to coach the Hockey team here....if there was a betting line I'm betting BIG on him offering Pat Narduzzi DC at Michigan St the job. If you look at his history and the things he has used to make hiring choices it fits VERY well. Like any bet you have a shot at winning and a shot at losing..that name just seems to match up well with his past hires.

Reaction Score
I heard face-to-face this week, from someone with even more clout than Herbst has with the purse strings, that the football situation will get resolved. I rate the source as having the highest degree of credibility.

I am fairly certain it means the BOT is fully aware of what it will take financially to attract the right coaching staff for the job. There are also things going on behind the scenes on all fronts to push forward on a Big 10 invite.
Still need AAU membership for any chance at that, which we don't have right now. So correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all Big Ten members also AAU members?

Reaction Score
Still need AAU membership for any chance at that, which we don't have right now. So correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all Big Ten members also AAU members?
Nebraska was AAU but is not now.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Would have never guessed this. Would he leave a P5 conference and come here unless he knew we will be in a P5 soon ?

The only way he would, in my opinion, is if he wanted to come back home to Connecticut. It would be the "hometown discount", similar to what Edsall says he did by going to Maryland (90 mi. from Glen Rock, PA).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Like I said in another post in this thread i know for a fact that Manuel hs NOT been given am edict to do this on the cheap...that means paying a salary anywhere from $1.6 mill up to $2.5 mill for the right guy. Herbst and BOT are all in on football...they know it is the only waybwe have any future shot in CR.

When PP/GDL were retained for 2013, I thought two things:

1. Warde felt that the team's best chance to get back to a bowl this year was by keeping the consistency within the program and allow PP a chance to coach "his guys";
2. If the team did not get to a bowl this season, Warde would have to buy his way out of another lost football season by upping the salary offers to his new coach.

One thing that is an absolute must is to pay whoever coaches our football team in 2014 more than our Women's BB coach. The perception in the P5 is that UCONN does not invest/care in football. It's hard to change that perception when our WBB coach makes the most money in the athletic department. WBB is only really followed closely here and in Tennessee and there is no way that the Vols fans would want their WBB coach to make more than the football coach. I'm all for Geno getting his money, but it can't be at the expense of a dwindling football program. WBB is not going to get us into a P5 conference ever. I hope this opinion doesn't label me as discriminatory, but facts are facts. We need to show a serious (and long overdue) commitment to football if we are ever going to escape AAC purgatory.

Reaction Score
The only way he would, in my opinion, is if he wanted to come back home to Connecticut. It would be the "hometown discount", similar to what Edsall says he did by going to Maryland (90 mi. from Glen Rock, PA).
How would it be a hometown discpunt when UCONN pays more for it's coaches than his present employer does? With his experience in the college game a salary of $1.7-$1.8 would be about what I would expect to see him paid as a HC.

Reaction Score
Do you think he feels we are an upgrade from BC ? Any idea what is salary is at BC ?
All i can say is unless he has inner knowledge of us going to big 10 or acc it woyld be career suicide

Reaction Score
What we need is some new blood...we need to get a Head coach who is an assistant at Bama, a LB coach from PSU, a QB coach from Sanford and forget about recruiting guys from New England...we need smart FB players from Texas, Florida, California (states where HS FB is the best...). If we are going to recruit in New England, lets drop FB into FCS and play UNH, Maine, URI... (We need to get a coach who'll promote UConn to other areas (especially Texas, Oklahoma, California...) and we need to pay him and all the assistants $.

We need to go big or go home....(go big, surprise the P5 conference, by winning our OOC schedule and beating our AAC conference. If that happens, maybe we can be invited to the B1G

Absolutely on target in every way. No more New England bull, unless it Belicheck.

Reaction Score
When PP/GDL were retained for 2013, I thought two things:

1. Warde felt that the team's best chance to get back to a bowl this year was by keeping the consistency within the program and allow PP a chance to coach "his guys";
2. If the team did not get to a bowl this season, Warde would have to buy his way out of another lost football season by upping the salary offers to his new coach.

One thing that is an absolute must is to pay whoever coaches our football team in 2014 more than our Women's BB coach. The perception in the P5 is that UCONN does not invest/care in football. It's hard to change that perception when our WBB coach makes the most money in the athletic department. WBB is only really followed closely here and in Tennessee and there is no way that the Vols fans would want their WBB coach to make more than the football coach. I'm all for Geno getting his money, but it can't be at the expense of a dwindling football program. WBB is not going to get us into a P5 conference ever. I hope this opinion doesn't label me as discriminatory, but facts are facts. We need to show a serious (and long overdue) commitment to football if we are ever going to escape AAC purgatory.

I agree with you about the salary for next coach. Unfortunately with Geno we are in a VERY unique situation. From everything I have heard Warde is being given the green light to hire the best coach and staff he can. Paying the next coach $2.5-$3.0 million per year isn't out of the question. That kind of salary puts us in the top 1/3 of the B1G or ACC. That will show that we are serious about football. Hiring a guy and paying him $1.2 million or less and not paying for a good staff will show that we could care less. We should be thankful Warde doesn't have a tight budget like Pernetti had when he replaced Shady.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed! If Warde sticks to his M/O in hiring a coach like he did at Buffalo (2x) and with hiring Cavanaugh to coach the Hockey team here....if there was a betting line I'm betting BIG on him offering Pat Narduzzi DC at Michigan St the job. If you look at his history and the things he has used to make hiring choices it fits VERY well. Like any bet you have a shot at winning and a shot at losing..that name just seems to match up well with his past hires.

Absolutely agree about his hiring tendencies. I posted something similar about Manuel liking profiles with a certain gravitas and cache. Very consistent with hiring from pedigee schools.

Reaction Score
One thing that is an absolute must is to pay whoever coaches our football team in 2014 more than our Women's BB coach. The perception in the P5 is that UCONN does not invest/care in football. It's hard to change that perception when our WBB coach makes the most money in the athletic department.

Doesn't label you discriminatory in my mind - just misguided in your business decisions. So you pay a premium for a high quality-good fit coach who you may be able to get for $1.4-$1.7 but you decide to pay him $2m+ for optics (Geno is slated to make 1.950m this coming year)? If the market value of the person you want is over $2.0m fine, ante up - but to say you will pay anyone you hire a number just to pass the WBB coach is nuts. I'd rather they put that money into the assistant coach pool.

Reaction Score
I agree with you about the salary for next coach. Unfortunately with Geno we are in a VERY unique situation. From everything I have heard Warde is being given the green light to hire the best coach and staff he can. Paying the next coach $2.5-$3.0 million per year isn't out of the question. That kind of salary puts us in the top 1/3 of the B1G or ACC. That will show that we are serious about football. Hiring a guy and paying him $1.2 million or less and not paying for a good staff will show that we could care less. We should be thankful Warde doesn't have a tight budget like Pernetti had when he replaced Shady.

I'm sorry but IMO there is no way we pay a coach $2+MM. I don't see anyway the state politicos & taxpayers will let this happen.

With a tv contract of $2MM & w Geno already making $2+MM I don't see it happening.

I think we end up with a MAC head coach at around $1.2-$1.5MM which is not a bad thing if we get the right guy.

I know this is not a popular idea but as I said it is just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate