Big Changes are Coming | The Boneyard

Big Changes are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We can argue back and forth till the cows come home about this season, about what coaches are good and bad....who should stay and who should go. The one thing I am certain of is this (any die-hard college football junkie will agree with me on this point)....BIG TIME changes are coming after this season...the kind of changes that occur in a P-5 type team when a coach can't get the job done. There are going to be some colleratal damage coaching moves (guys this fan base like..people like Foley)...and we will see kids transfer out of the program..probably more than we did when Pasqualoni replaced Edsall. We haven't seen this kind of program overhaul since Perno was replaced by Calhoun. For those of you supporting guys like Hughes...understand that these guys are gone by the end of December.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with this happening. This has to happen. We need a total break from the previous two regimes. I happen to be partial to Foley, but all the others need to move on. I think Buggs and Wholey have been huge down grades from Richardson and Orlando. How Edsall kept such talented guys around so long for not a lot of money was his greatest accomplishment. Perkins < Lakatos also.

P was very nice to keep these guys, and that smoothed the transition with the players, but the next guy that comes in can't worry about nice to these northeast lifers, or about players transferring out. We're going to take some lumps, but hell we ARE at rock bottom right now.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with this happening. This has to happen. We need a total break from the previous two regimes. I happen to be partial to Foley, but all the others need to move on. I think Buggs and Wholey have been huge down grades from Richardson and Orlando. How Edsall kept such talented guys around so long for not a lot of money was his greatest accomplishment. Perkins < Lakatos also.

P was very nice to keep these guys, and that smoothed the transition with the players, but the next guy that comes in can't worry about nice to these northeast lifers, or about players transferring out. We're going to take some lumps, but hell we ARE at rock bottom right now.
Perkins is definitely a downgrade from Lakatos. And once Lakatos left we took a HUGE hit in out NJ recruiting.

Reaction Score
Perkins is definitely a downgrade from Lakatos. And once Lakatos left we took a HUGE hit in out NJ recruiting.

To be honest, Wholey does nothing for me. Every year at LB, we had guys fill in who played at as high a level as their predecessor. We have clearly lost the LB development there. Buggs and Richardson, no contest either.

Reaction Score
To be honest, Wholey does nothing for me. Every year at LB, we had guys fill in who played at as high a level as their predecessor. We have clearly lost the LB development there. Buggs and Richardson, no contest either.
Sad part about Buggs is this...if you put him at dbacks he would he better than both lakatos AND Perkins.

Reaction Score
I think Buggs and Wholey have been huge down grades from Richardson and Orlando. How Edsall kept such talented guys around so long for not a lot of money was his greatest accomplishment. Perkins < Lakatos also.

This! I been beating that dead horse all along.. ESPECIALLY when we lost Richardson... I Buggs is actually a step UP at RB coach from the crap we had post Richardson... u could argue the jury's still out on him... but I've never been a big fan of putting in a RB coach who hasn't even coached it at this level of college football. It made us look SMALL doing that. And, the proof is in in the pudding... blame the OL all u want.. production at RB has been subpar since Richardson left...hurt recruiting the position BIG TIME for us.. my two cents..

Reaction Score

Remember the Wholley was brought in by RE originally as TE coach after McMichaels left... P moved him to LB's

Reaction Score
We can argue back and forth till the cows come home about this season, about what coaches are good and bad....who should stay and who should go. The one thing I am certain of is this (any die-hard college football junkie will agree with me on this point)....BIG TIME changes are coming after this season...the kind of changes that occur in a P-5 type team when a coach can't get the job done. There are going to be some colleratal damage coaching moves (guys this fan base like..people like Foley)...and we will see kids transfer out of the program..probably more than we did when Pasqualoni replaced Edsall. We haven't seen this kind of program overhaul since Perno was replaced by Calhoun. For those of you supporting guys like Hughes...understand that these guys are gone by the end of December.

Amen

Reaction Score
Yeah, agree. I say go for someone who left but might return as HC, maybe Moorehead, but I think the chances of that are slim right now. I'd even ask Todd Orlando if he's interested. If we got someone like that maybe some of our best players might stay. Might make things easier for the new coach. Give it to someone young and hungry like both Geno and JC were back in 85. Someone who can take the recruiting trail and has a vision he can sell to recruits.

Reaction Score
Yeah, agree. I say go for someone who left but might return as HC, maybe Moorehead, but I think the chances of that are slim right now. I'd even ask Todd Orlando if he's interested. If we got someone like that maybe some of our best players might stay. Might make things easier for the new coach. Give it to someone young and hungry like both Geno and JC were back in 85. Someone who can take the recruiting trail and has a vision he can sell to recruits.
It's time to cut cord on everything Edsall and pasqualoni coaching wise. Time to write a new chapter for this program. Time to step up to the plate! Bringing in a guy like moorhead or Todd Orlando as HC isn't the answer to our problems.

Reaction Score
Not sure I care if kids stay or not. Get best coach and if kids leave so be it. Can't keep having a short sighted view. We need whole sale changes not a change here and there. If FDNY99 is correct (and I could not agree more with his post) than you might not recognize anyone on the staff next year and I am ok with that. Let the new guy bring in who he wants for assistants and not force him into retaining anyone. This needs to be blown up and start from scratch. It can not be patched together.

Not sure how much new coach will be able to recruit in last couple months so this is going to be a long process....but I am willing to wait if we got the right guy at the helm

Reaction Score
We won't be paying $5 million for a coach...but I know for a fact Warde has not been given an order from Herbst to not pony up the cash (I have heard it from multiple people that she is all in on football)...I can see a salary between $1.6-$2.5 million ($2.5 for the "right guy" who is a HC somehwere else). Hopefully he puts Asst salaries near avg b1G or ACC schools (middle of upper 1/3 to top of middle 1/3).

Reaction Score
Only way out of this mess, the whole mess, being respectable again and then eventually playing their way out of this conference is to go all in. Were 0-6, and last home game stadium had respectable attendance. This state is ready to really embrace CFB, you could feel it. Gotta get the right swashbuckler to come in here, declare himself sheriff and kick ass. Run the score up, Baylor style. Maybe I'm dreaming, but that is the type of coach that creates buzz. Not a "stay ahead of the chains" b/s.

Reaction Score
It's time to cut cord on everything Edsall and pasqualoni coaching wise. Time to write a new chapter for this program. Time to step up to the plate! Bringing in a guy like moorhead or Todd Orlando as HC isn't the answer to our problems.
By cutting the cord and cleaning house you're talking a name, and then you're talking major bucks, not sure if the state and board of regents would go along, they might but just saying they might not. Who knows maybe Warde gets lucky and gets someone who likes a challenge and is willing to take a decent but not great contract.

Reaction Score
Only way out of this mess, the whole mess, being respectable again and then eventually playing their way out of this conference is to go all in. Were 0-6, and last home game stadium had respectable attendance. This state is ready to really embrace CFB, you could feel it. Gotta get the right swashbuckler to come in here, declare himself sheriff and kick ass. Run the score up, Baylor style. Maybe I'm dreaming, but that is the type of coach that creates buzz. Not a "stay ahead of the chains" b/s.
I like you're post, but who'd you have in mind?

Reaction Score
By cutting the cord and cleaning house you're talking a name, and then you're talking major bucks, not sure if the state and board of regents would go along, they might but just saying they might not. Who knows maybe Warde gets lucky and gets someone who likes a challenge and is willing to take a decent but not great contract.
Like I said in another post in this thread i know for a fact that Manuel hs NOT been given am edict to do this on the cheap...that means paying a salary anywhere from $1.6 mill up to $2.5 mill for the right guy. Herbst and BOT are all in on football...they know it is the only waybwe have any future shot in CR.

Reaction Score
Sounds a lot like Mike Leach. Don't think that you can pry him away from Wazoo, but, if you can, at least Storrs is in the same time zone as his winter home in Key West.

Reaction Score
Cap, years ago, before UConn was 1A, and Mike Price was winning big Washington State with Drew Bledsoe, I read an article on Washington State in SI I believe, and it basically called Pullman Washington, the toughest place in the country to recruit to and win big. A lot has changed since, but it still has to be one of the P5, toughest jobs to win at. I don't think we could pry him away, but it was a mistake to not even try after he was let go at TTech.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I heard face-to-face this week, from someone with even more clout than Herbst has with the purse strings, that the football situation will get resolved. I rate the source as having the highest degree of credibility.

I am fairly certain it means the BOT is fully aware of what it will take financially to attract the right coaching staff for the job. There are also things going on behind the scenes on all fronts to push forward on a Big 10 invite.

Reaction Score
What we need is some new blood...we need to get a Head coach who is an assistant at Bama, a LB coach from PSU, a QB coach from Sanford and forget about recruiting guys from New England...we need smart FB players from Texas, Florida, California (states where HS FB is the best...). If we are going to recruit in New England, lets drop FB into FCS and play UNH, Maine, URI... (We need to get a coach who'll promote UConn to other areas (especially Texas, Oklahoma, California...) and we need to pay him and all the assistants $$$.

We need to go big or go home....(go big, surprise the P5 conference, by winning our OOC schedule and beating our AAC conference. If that happens, maybe we can be invited to the B1G

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I was talking to a couple of guys today, and while I'm usually skeptical, I walked away convinced that they knew what was going on. According to them Addazio wants out of BC and into UConn and they seemed pretty sure it was going to happen after the season.

Reaction Score
I was talking to a couple of guys today, and while I'm usually skeptical, I walked away convinced that they knew what was going on. According to them Addazio wants out of BC and into UConn and they seemed pretty sure it was going to happen after the season.

I'm not a big Addazio fan. But if that is who comes out on top of the search then I will be happy...if someone else is the pick so be it. But I will say this...if the CT HS Coaches Assoc tries to have their say again...I will have no problem paying for a billboard on 95 in FCIAC terrority (Norwalk, Fairfield Area) out of my pocket to call them out and ask the question why they are so concerned with what is going on at UCONN and not trying to improve their sport by asking for the same off-season rules they have in NJ or PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom