Big Big NIL News

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Screenshot_20220428-152045.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is this a case of other schools already allowing their images on NIL deals and we are just catching up?

Reaction Score
This is forward thinking by the CT legislators for sure.

NEXT STEP: Getting all UConn WBB NIL contracts to include a mandate that the sponsoring party MUST promote and air their clients ads in Knoxville, South Bend, and Columbia every time they air elsewhere. :D :cool: :eek:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While this is great for UConn athletes, it will be interesting to see how other states respond. As most people know, the NCAA abdicated their responsibility to create uniform NIL rules across college sports, leaving it up to individual conferences and states. This created a hodgepodge of different rules and regulations on NIL depending on the conference and/or state where an athlete plays.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So you can use Jonathan in NIL adds. Someone is going to get paid big bucks promoting dog food….:rolleyes:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The whole thing is getting out of hand!

Is it FAIR to leave the high school kids out????

Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, I just did some research and here’s the scoop. CT is not leading the way on NIL. In fact, they were one of only 2 states that did not permit athletes to wear team uniforms, employ mascots, etc., thereby putting Connecticut athletes at a disadvantage. Interestingly enough, the other state that prohibits athletes from wearing team uniforms, etc. is SC.

Pretty big disadvantage considering that we are talking about the two WBB teams that made it to the championship game. :cool:

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
So official jerseys with the player's number on is a possibility now? I might actually snag a couple for myself :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That would be interesting to know.
Right. My personal advice to these athletes would be to keep their deals out of school business. This potential scenario now involves TWO Ls (likenesses) ...the player and the school. NIL broke that bond and gave the athlete freedom...so why go backwards?

Reaction Score
Are the players allowed to enter into agreements with their schools to share this source of revenue?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are the players allowed to enter into agreements with their schools to share this source of revenue?
Yes. A couple examples:
  • The University of Michigan pays football players who agree to have their names on the back of jerseys that the school sells
  • The University of NC has signed a blanket licensing agreement with all their athletes that permits them to use the UNC logo in their NIL deals.

Reaction Score
This is where NIL is headed

For sure, if they don't add some more details beyond ..you can make a deal. Agents are wolves. But, so are politicians. Turn this over to an independent arbitration firm. In this case...if I were the school I would give him less time to reaffirm his commitment or pack his bags so I can get a replacement. Not fair to the team, especially those who will never get a deal no matter where they go. If he's that good....go play professionally and see how many deals he gets in the G League.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom