Big Bad Bruins | The Boneyard

Big Bad Bruins

Reaction Score
Maryland would have been a much easier opponent, in my opinion. I've watched UCLA games in part on a few occasions this year and they are long and athletic at every position. Also, a few of their bigs are very talented. Early in the year I thought they lacked intensity on defense. Watching last night's game it appears they've corrected that weakness.

I think we're fine, but to win we'll need to play better on Friday than we did last Sunday against Buffalo. That shouldn't be difficult. Olivia will need to step up. Having Lou back will help with blocking out inside. We need to score enough to make UCLA rush its offense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If MD (Mikasell / Watson) could have made a few 3's, the game would have been quite different. MD was 1-13 from 3. If we can be competitive on the boards, make a few 3's, we should be ok.

Reaction Score
Maryland would have been a much easier opponent, in my opinion. I've watched UCLA games in part on a few occasions this year and they are long and athletic at every position. Also, a few of their bigs are very talented. Early in the year I thought they lacked intensity on defense. Watching last night's game it appears they've corrected that weakness.

I think we're fine, but to win we'll need to play better on Friday than we did last Sunday against Buffalo. That shouldn't be difficult. Olivia will need to step up. Having Lou back will help with blocking out inside. We need to score enough to make UCLA rush its offense.
Although we will never know for sure I thought MD bigs were much tougher than UCLA, I too thought MD ran out of gas at the end.
You are right, and from here on to the end, whenever that is, Olivia must play post Defense. The scoring will take care of itself if the boards are protected and rebounding controlled. Also, I'd like Geno to trust Coombs. When Moriah was a frosh her teammates went to Geno and said Moriah is a great guard--trust her. He trusted her and she gave him what she needed. The same could happen should Coombs be trusted. In the Buffalo game, it couldn't have hurt more than the bleeding being done. Hope that S--stuff is behind us.

Reaction Score
In other threads I've argued that UCLA may be the hottest team in the Pac-12 right now. The Maryland game demonstrated their relentlessness on the offensive boards. This is where I think our game will be decided with them. In particular Kennedy Burke is a matchup nightmare. Whoever said that Combs and Olivia will play a key part in this game was completely correct. I'm fascinated by the matchup between Dean and Crystal. I did notice Dean had two unforced turnovers in the Maryland game. We're going to need to turn her over and I think do much much better job of defending the three line.

being defeated ASU during the regular Pac-12 season with a last-second three. Her quickness was on display as well as her ability to dictate offense and shoot when necessary. our team defense will need to be exemplary both to shut her down and provide help on Burke.

Frankly I'm more than a little concerned about this matchup. A bounce-back game after Buffalo with energy is high and defense will be necessary I think to beat UCLA.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
UCLA's athleticism and desire are worrisome to me.

I'll say, though, that I think UMD will be a force to be reckoned with for the next few years. Brenda is not my favorite, but she is a good coach, and they have a ton of young talent. If she develops them and tailors her system to their strengths (which she hasn't always), then they can contend for a national championship.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'll say, though, that I think UMD will be a force to be reckoned with for the next few years. Brenda is not my favorite, but she is a good coach, and they have a ton of young talent. If she develops them and tailors her system to their strengths (which she hasn't always), then they can contend for a national championship.
I believe that Maryland loses only Fraser and brings in Owusu (#5), Miller (#18), Young (#30), and Masonius (#49). Charles, Jones, Mikesell, Austin, et al. will be good next year.

Reaction Score
I believe that Maryland loses only Fraser and brings in Owusu (#5), Miller (#18), Young (#30), and Masonius (#49). Charles, Jones, Mikesell, Austin, et al. will be good next year.

talent has never been a problem, fundamentals has.... 18-19 was another underachieving year

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
talent has never been a problem, fundamentals has.... 18-19 was another underachieving year
I’m already predicting 30-5 and a Sweet 16 exit. Brenda needs a better OOC schedule and maybe a better assistant.

Reaction Score

They won’t stay. They never all stay there...

Reaction Score
I’m already predicting 30-5 and a Sweet 16 exit. Brenda needs a better OOC schedule and maybe a better assistant.

The regular season record means nothing with their weak OOC and conference schedule. They have the talent to be in the final 4 every year.

Frese will probably throw another assistant under the bus . They will need to" spend more time with their family" or accept their dream job as a HS JV coach.

Reaction Score
Because of UCLA’s athleticism and relentlessness on the boards, I’m hoping UConn stays out of foul trouble. No sense in letting them get an offensive rebound AND an and-1.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I just watched a replay of the UCLA/Maryland game this morning. I agree with you. The Bruins didn’t win that game, Maryland lost it. Unforced turnovers, lots of missed bunnies and free throws, not to mention allowing UCLA to rebound at will at both ends of the court without attempting to put a body on them. The Bruins will be formidable, but not unbeatable.

Maryland would have been an easier opponent. They kept UCLA in the game with bad shot selection and a porous defense. UCLA has lost 12 games to this point. That hardly suggests invincibility. If UConn plays their A game (I see no reason why they can’t/won’t, they should win comfortably.

UConn will have home court advantage as well as a arena full of ardent supporters. Hopefully the two cross country trips the Bruins have had to make in the last week will take it toll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
UCLA has been an outstanding road team all year.if I'm not mistaken their early-season troubles were concentrated at home. That said the Bruins lineup poses significant matchup problems for the Huskies which really underscores our need to play one of the best team defensive games of the year if we hope to stay in the game. As I mentioned in another thread Kennedy Burke is a difference-maker. I hope we have an answer for her and that our perimeter defense it's much better than it has been.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom