Big Bad AAC Bowl Thread! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Bad AAC Bowl Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry, but the American is not a far weaker conference than the Big East. UCF, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis and Navy can hold their own any day against Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers and Louisville. If anything the conference is better. Too many have fallen for ESPN's propaganda. Unfortunately the unbalanced conference payouts on the TV contracts are dictating who's good and who's not. In the end if the networks succeed it may be true but for now the jury is still out.

Yes if you go back you'll find Carl's posts that CUSA was better than the Big East and tons of objective evidence that this was true.

Oh wait. No you won't.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but the American is not a far weaker conference than the Big East. UCF, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis and Navy can hold their own any day against Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers and Louisville. If anything the conference is better. Too many have fallen for ESPN's propaganda. Unfortunately the unbalanced conference payouts on the TV contracts are dictating who's good and who's not. In the end if the networks succeed it may be true but for now the jury is still out.
Louisville is on a different level than anyone else on that list. The rest are similar, but not Louisville.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Louisville is on a different level than anyone else on that list. The rest are similar, but not Louisville.

Not to mention that he forgot about West Virginia, which I am certain is on a different level as well.

People forget how good the Big East really was. We were better than the ACC during the last 10 years of our existence, and I'm confident of that. The fact of the matter is that the AAC is not as good. There's no getting around that. And we all have our work cut out for us to even approach the same level as the old Big East. Add to that the fact that UConn is no longer as good as UConn, USF is no longer as good as USF, and Cincy is no longer as good as Cincy. I think that's the biggest problem of it all...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
After two solid wins for the AAC the conference really laid an egg. UCF had basically a home game and couldn't beat a mid table NC State and Cincy got smacked by a hapless VTech team. Pretty disappointing results. We'll see what ECU does against a rudderless Florida team. If they lose, I'd call the bowl season a failure for the AAC. The conference finally got bowls against P5 teams and the only wins they got were against an Independent and a MWC team. Not what is needed for the conference to keep up it's rep, not that it truly matters.

Reaction Score
Not to mention that he forgot about West Virginia, which I am certain is on a different level as well.

People forget how good the Big East really was. We were better than the ACC during the last 10 years of our existence, and I'm confident of that. The fact of the matter is that the AAC is not as good. There's no getting around that. And we all have our work cut out for us to even approach the same level as the old Big East. Add to that the fact that UConn is no longer as good as UConn, USF is no longer as good as USF, and Cincy is no longer as good as Cincy. I think that's the biggest problem of it all...
The U of W.Va. was also at the top of my mind when I first read that but figured if he really believed that it wouldn't have changed his mind.

Reaction Score
So do we totally forget about UCF's #10 finish and the Fiesta Bowl Victory over Baylor? East Carolina is better than Pitt, Cuse and Rutgers, although Rutgers is the most improved. I would agree that Ville is probably the best team. Houston, SMU and Tulsa should improve. Many knock the American but if they stay in tact and get a better TV deal, I can see them on a par with the ACC one day. As it's been said a Million times we need more $$$! And yes, if we got an offer from the B1G or ACC we should jump in a heartbeat. That doesn't look like it is happening any time soon so rather than be a malcontent, I am doing my best to look at the glass half full.

Reaction Score
So do we totally forget about UCF's #10 finish and the Fiesta Bowl Victory over Baylor? East Carolina is better than Pitt, Cuse and Rutgers, although Rutgers is the most improved. I would agree that Ville is probably the best team. Houston, SMU and Tulsa should improve. Many knock the American but if they stay in tact and get a better TV deal, I can see them on a par with the ACC one day. As it's been said a Million times we need more $$$! And yes, if we got an offer from the B1G or ACC we should jump in a heartbeat. That doesn't look like it is happening any time soon so rather than be a malcontent, I am doing my best to look at the glass half full.

There is a difference between looking at the glass half full and insanity. (I kid)

When we were in the Big East we'd rightfully mock CUSA. Now that we're in it, it's better or on par with the old Big East. Come on now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like how East Carolina's second half of the season is ignored. They are 56th in the composite computer rankings.

One slot ahead of Rutgers and 3 ahead of Pitt. How exciting.

The highest ranked team is Memphis. 37th. Cinci is 40th UCF is 48th.

Yeah that's better or as good as the Big East...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Nobody likes the glass being half full more than me, believe me! But what you're talking is crazy talk. And that's coming from "Mr. 13-0".

Compare our current AAC head-to-head against either the 2007 version of the Big East or the 2011 version of the Big East (to be fair in covering a larger portion of the recent history):

#6 WVU vs. Memphis
#25 UConn vs. 2014 Cincy
#17 Cincy vs. UCF
USF vs. ECU
Rutgers vs. Houston
Louisville vs. Temple
Pitt vs. 2014 USF
Syracuse vs. Tulane

I won't even count the crapstorms that were 2014 UConn, SMU, and Tulsa. Head-to-head, the 2007 Big East would absolutely destroy the AAC. That WVU team beat Oklahoma in a BCS game by 20 points. UCF would have no chance against a Brian Kelly Cincy team. And I would like our 2007 version's chances against the current Cincy team without a doubt. The rest are self-explanatory.

#17 WVU vs. Memphis
#25 Cincy vs. 2014 Cincy
Louisville vs. UCF
Rutgers vs. ECU
Pitt vs. Houston
UConn vs.Temple
USF vs. 2014 USF
Syracuse vs. Tulane

Not even close. That is the WVU team that laid 70 on Clemson in a BCS bowl. Cincy was way better than Cincy. The rest are self-explanatory yet again.

I don't even know if the head-to-head matchups would result in even 1 victory for the AAC in either year. That's the problem. UConn, USF, and Cincy have to get their stuff together again. And UCF, Houston, Memphis, and Temple have to keep building on their momentum. Can we be a really good conference in the near future? Yes. But we are DEFINITELY NOT the Big East...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You guys can argue BE vs AAC all day long but honestly... I just don't care.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You might be wise to do the opposite...

I could not have been less impressed than I was by Boise State all year.

The PAC-12 had been ridiculous in their bowl games.

I make 98% of my bets based off numbers - and I know this line smells bad - but I'll take the loss if I'm wrong - if Arizona shows up they are much better.

Reaction Score
At least we'll go down in history as a football school in the Big East. We have 2 BE rings. That conference was excellent.

Reaction Score
FWIW:

5 teams made bowl games from the AAC conference, and right now they're 2-2. Wins over ACC Pitt, Indep BYU. Losses to ACC VTech, NCState.

East Carolina gets SEC Florida tomorrow.

The ACC qualifies an amazing programs (go figure that Temple at 6-6 is left out with SEC and Big10 non-conf, while FOUR ACC programs at 6-6 make it with nothing.....)

CT sports writers? Amazing how ESPN owns the post season, and the ACC, and that happened.........

But with 11 teams in bowl games, they still suck. 4-7 W/L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman