Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12

C

Chief00

What’s your casual fan obsession?
Great question- First, because empowering the Casual Fan is the right thing to do.

From a business perspective, given our falling attendance in the two major sports, we need to be encouraging to those fans who are perhaps not knowledgeable sports fans - that’s its ok to go to a football game for the social aspects of a tailgate or make a basketball game - a night out during our long winter. Sometimes on this Board it might be tough on a newcomer - if they either don’t know the game or if their lookback of UConn History is relatively brief. Chief doesn’t believe these characteristics should be exclusionary and that all should be welcome to UConn Nation.
I recognize, in a five second quick look, if one gets the count of the conference affiliation wrong on an anchilliary point - even though the primary point was valid (3 of elite 8 are Big12 schools) certain fans whom perhaps don’t understand the game well can point that out to feel good about themselves as if they actual understand the game itself. Rather than criticizing that behavior, I think we should embrace it, if that makes them feel more part of the BY team. We can all make different levels of contributions.
Admittedly, this acceptance is a learning process, Chief has long been critical of the value of First Night and how it reinforces a lot of bad basketball habits, if your goal is winning competitive hard fought games. But, eventually Chief evolved to realize if this free night of what some view of affordable family entertainment can start the process and get the Casual Fan in the door - it’s a start. Maybe they will go to another game or two that year? What I also learned this year is that happy memories can transform to a life time habit. So I am all for First Night now - although I will never go myself.

C

Chief00

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Hmm, first Chief promised us Big news, then he posts about the Big 12. Coincidence?

The Big Week ahead prediction was Hurley getting hired - without violating the gag order - LOL - it was too subtle for the Casual Fans and Chief got criticized anyways for not telling people what was going to happen.

C

Chief00

3 Teams in the Elite Eight, but will they have even 1 team in the Final Four?

Probably not....

Fair point, and interestingly if Villanova wins - 2 of the 4 teams will be from non P5 conferences. That is way overrated.

Reaction Score
Fair point, and interestingly if Villanova wins - 2 of the 4 teams will be from non P5 conferences. That is way overrated.
We will see, I will be pulling for Nova and Kansas. I picked Nova beating Michigan in the final when the brackets came out so I am interested to see if it comes in. I truly do think Nova and Michigan are the best teams in the land.

C

Chief00

I thought Villanova and Duke were the best teams at this point - however if it plays out - they will meet in the semi’s

Reaction Score
I thought Villanova and Duke were the best teams at this point - however if it plays out - they will meet in the semi’s
I think Michigan would lock up Duke on the defensive end and Michigan would eat Duke’s 2-3 zone up....

Michigan has shut down the following opponents in the last 10+ games....

- Penn St.
- Maryland
- Purdue
- Michigan St.
- Houston
- Montana
- FSU
- Texas A&M
- Ohio St.
- Nebraska

Right now they are playing defense at the highest level in the nation and when Wagner is on he is the most dynamic player in the nation. When Wagner is on their offense is unstoppable and their defense is even better.

With Nova being the most efficient and best offensive team in the nation it would be interesting to see how they fare verse them.

- Simpson
- Matthews
- Wagner
- Livers

All lockdown defenders.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great question- First, because empowering the Casual Fan is the right thing to do.

From a business perspective, given our falling attendance in the two major sports, we need to be encouraging to those fans who are perhaps not knowledgeable sports fans - that’s its ok to go to a football game for the social aspects of a tailgate or make a basketball game - a night out during our long winter. Sometimes on this Board it might be tough on a newcomer - if they either don’t know the game or if their lookback of UConn History is relatively brief. Chief doesn’t believe these characteristics should be exclusionary and that all should be welcome to UConn Nation.
I recognize, in a five second quick look, if one gets the count of the conference affiliation wrong on an anchilliary point - even though the primary point was valid (3 of elite 8 are Big12 schools) certain fans whom perhaps don’t understand the game well can point that out to feel good about themselves as if they actual understand the game itself. Rather than criticizing that behavior, I think we should embrace it, if that makes them feel more part of the BY team. We can all make different levels of contributions.
Admittedly, this acceptance is a learning process, Chief has long been critical of the value of First Night and how it reinforces a lot of bad basketball habits, if your goal is winning competitive hard fought games. But, eventually Chief evolved to realize if this free night of what some view of affordable family entertainment can start the process and get the Casual Fan in the door - it’s a start. Maybe they will go to another game or two that year? What I also learned this year is that happy memories can transform to a life time habit. So I am all for First Night now - although I will never go myself.
Co-ed first night? Or is that a bridge too far?

Reaction Score
im rooting for texas tech. love them. zhaire smith is a freak of nature

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We will see, I will be pulling for Nova and Kansas. I picked Nova beating Michigan in the final when the brackets came out so I am interested to see if it comes in. I truly do think Nova and Michigan are the best teams in the land.

Just checked my bracket at work, and I’m up to 4th. Was terrible early, but I have Nova, KU and Michigan in the final four, with Nova beating Michigan. If KU and Nova win, I should win the pool.

Of course I’ll be rooting for KU if they get past Duke anyway. Jayhawk pride comes far ahead of having my name on the trophy for a second year in a row.

Reaction Score
Just checked my bracket at work, and I’m up to 4th. Was terrible early, but I have Nova, KU and Michigan in the final four, with Nova beating Michigan. If KU and Nova win, I should win the pool.

Of course I’ll be rooting for KU if they get past Duke anyway. Jayhawk pride comes far ahead of having my name on the trophy for a second year in a row.
I’m in the exact same position, minus rooting for KU if they get past Duke.

C

Chief00

Co-ed first night? Or is that a bridge too far?
I accept but don’t have ownership in First Night, is my new position. I won’t be there but they can stand on their heads or do whatever. It’s makes a mockery of competitive basketball -but I am done fighting it - and recognize it’s the highlight of the year for many Casual Fans.

Reaction Score
I accept but don’t have ownership in First Night, is my new position. I won’t be there but they can stand on their heads or do whatever. It’s makes a mockery of competitive basketball -but I am done fighting it - and recognize it’s the highlight of the year for many Casual Fans.
Perhaps we can call it “ introduction to basketball for the casual fan: a night with the huskies “.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom