Big 12 wants to add “first to make a move” | The Boneyard

Big 12 wants to add “first to make a move”

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
While the Pac12 takes their time getting the best media deal they can, is it finally our opportunity to jump into P5!? AD David Benedict is not in the Bahamas now, right? Let’s go!!!

"Fourteen seems to be our best number," a source told ESPN. "Now that we're at 13, who's going to be the first to make a move to start having a conversation with us was the general discussion today. We talked about a lot of different schools, but it's more about, 'Hey, we've got room for one more and who wants to be the first to really want to be a part of the Big 12 now and join us?'"

As uncertainty continues to loom over the Pac-12, which will dwindle to nine members, sources have indicated that Arizona has sparked interest within the Big 12. Arizona president Bobby Robbins, however, has previously said publicly that he wanted to see the Pac-12's new media deal before making any monumental decisions.

"Once we have that," he said on June 7, "we have degrees of freedom to make informed decisions."

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff said last week at the league's media day in Las Vegas that he was confident the media deal would be done in the near future. Kliavkoff said getting the right deal has been more important to the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors than "getting the expeditious one."

In June, following Big 12 spring meetings in West Virginia, a source told ESPN that UConn and Gonzaga were "certainly talked about" as potential members, but a 14-team league would be focused on a school that would also add value with its football program, as opposed to a basketball-only addition.

That doesn't rule out UConn, which has made significant strides under coach Jim Mora, and would add to the league's strong basketball narrative Yormark has touted.

The question is whether the Pac-12's remaining members have the patience to continue to wait for the media deal, or whether others will "be the first to make a move."

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Sources are indicating that the Big 12 is looking to add a school with an animal mascot.
UC Santa Cruz says Hi

IMG_3221.jpeg

Reaction Score
Sources are indicating that the Big 12 is looking to add a school with an animal mascot.
Are they looking for a mascot that's a dog with black and white fur? I know a school...

Reaction Score
UC Santa Cruz says Hi

View attachment 90174
LOL. Small world. My wife's hometown is Santa Cruz and her parents still live there. It's beautiful town with great beaches and the boardwalk. Plus their mascot is unique, a banana slug. I remember seeing a former UConn basketball player, Hilton Armstrong walking around at the wharf there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It really comes down to Yormark and if he can sell a lucrative, visionary idea of adding UConn. The rest of the Big 12 just sees football, football, football. Yet Yormark sees NYC and the value bball can bring and that UConn can return to football relevance.

In Yormark we must trust and AD Dave better be busting his CFB butt to play the game to get us in and convince the Big 12 that our football is an asset

Reaction Score
LOL. Small world. My wife's hometown is Santa Cruz and her parents still live there. It's beautiful town with great beaches and the boardwalk. Plus their mascot is unique, a banana slug. I remember seeing a former UConn basketball player, Hilton Armstrong walking around at the wharf there.
Dead heads from my high school would relocate there. Said there was a good soup kitchen there. This was mid 80s

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Dead heads from my high school would relocate there. Said there was a good soup kitchen there. This was mid 80s
Haha deadheads and soup kitchens- they kinda go together...

Reaction Score
Oh you will definitely find some deadheads in the flats for sure, LOL. It's a beautiful town where many outsiders come to visit. This happens all year round but especially for the 3-day weekend for surfing much like people here in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut go to Vermont and New Hampshire for skiing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom